Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Wild Willy goes crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wild Willy goes crawling

I've been hobbled for a couple months after ankle surgery. During that time, I needed a sanity project to keep me from going nuts. so I picked up a Losi MRC and some Wild Willy 2 parts and merged them. I have an original Wild Willy and a Wild Willy 2 and wanted a crawler version also.

I pretty much kept the electronics and driveline from the MRC and tossed the rest in a box.

Chassis - I used the siderails of a Wild Willy 2 chassis to give it a more scale look and milled everything else from delrin blocks. The entire front including the electronics mount area, front frame, and shock mounts was milled from one single big block. The chassis is narrower than it was on a WW2 though to clear the tires as they flex. I did dump the factory MRC servo and made the front chassis to hold a fullsized Hitec servo. I think the only part of the original chassis I used was part of the upper tray to get the battery mount.

Drivetrain - My goal was to use the complete drivetrain from the MRC with the tranny mounted in the rear where the gastank on the body is. To get the power to the axles and not have to cut the body, I bought and was going to use a RC4WD Killer Tcase to transfer the power. The tcase sure did allow the body to sit low enough but the outputs made it too wide front to back and the driveshaft angles were way too steep. That killed that idea. I ended up recessing the skidplate a bunch to allow the MRC tranny to sit low enough so that minimal body cutting would be necessary. The driveshafts are stock units cut shorter.

Suspension - The suspension is mostly handmade. I reduced the wheelbase of the MRC by about an inch to match the body so none of the stock links would work. The new ones are made from delrin rod. The lower links mount in the custom center skidplate while the upper links are fitted to custom mounts I made to fit in the WW2 chassis rails. The upper link axle mounts are 2mm carbon fiber. I cut down the plate mount stubs on the MRC axle housings to lower the link plate on the housings. For now, I am using the stock shocks but the springs are way too soft for the heavy body. I don't think the stiffer springs will be much better. I want to get some RCBros MRC shocks but they only seem to have one set of the ones I want so I'll have to wait until they get more.

The Body - My goal was to keep most of the stock detail with just a few changes. I took the Wild Willy 2 body and shaved the ugly bumps off the hood and filled the body mount holes. I also comp cut the rear corners. I was going to make a custom comp style roll cage for it but after sitting and looking at it I decided to keep the original look of the factory roll bar. I kept most of the details of the original body but bolted up one of the original MRC tires as a spare instead of the plastic fake one. I was going to get an extra Flatiron to mount back there but it would have been too large. I do plan on getting another Axial beadlock and painting it to match the others. I hate the Wld Willy 2 grill and had a spare original Wild Willy grill laying around so I used that instead. I also have an original Wild Willy windshield frame to give it a more scale look but I don't have the metal side mounts for it. Once I find some, I'll switch to that one. The existing WW2 one just bolts on to the cage and doesn't look quite right just floating there.
Like I said above, I originally was going to use an RC4WD Killer transfer case but the driveshaft angles were way too steep so I had to mod the body to fit over the tranny. It actually came out pretty good I think.

Tires and Wheels - With the stock MRC tires and wheels the axle width was OK. Things rubbed a little but not bad. They really didn't look right though so I got some Axial 1.9 beadlocks and Proline Flatiron tires. I painted the wheels to match the body. The wheel offset was different though and the tires were wider. Now the axles were too narrow and the tires rubbed on everything. I got a set of the Gmade wideners and now it looks perfect. I thought about using 1.55 wheels and tires but couldn't find a beadlock that used a hex pattern. The RC4WD steel ones are real nice and would have looked great but they mount directly to the axle pins without hexes and would have, like the Axial wheels, made the whole thing too narrow with lots of rubbing.

Huge thanks to RPP Hobby and The Crawler Store for getting parts to me so quickly to keep the project going.

The project was a fun challenge for sure. To get that short of a wheelbase to work and flex properly took several tries. That and fitting everything under the mostly stock body tried my patience at times. It was worth it though.

I've driven it a bit around the house (the pics are poser shots) and it drives great and flexes like crazy but, as mentioned above, the shock springs are way too soft so the body wants to lean a lot.

On to the pics....

The three Willys together

Last edited by SpeedyDad; 07-03-2012 at 11:49 AM.
SpeedyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

That's Cool, Never thought to see a crawler version!
jeepjames87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Wow,, very cool. Nice work on making all that work. Sound like you put allot of effort into that. It looks bad ass too. Any video to come? Hope your ankle is recovering nicely..
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
Wow,, very cool. Nice work on making all that work. Sound like you put allot of effort into that. It looks bad ass too. Any video to come? Hope your ankle is recovering nicely..
Thanks. I can't hit the trails quite yet because of the ankle and the shocks really make it flop around. I'll try to get a vid once those issues are fixed.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

This little rig is totally BAD-ASS..!!!! I LOVE it, I think I just found the next truck I'd like to build..! Awesome job making it all come together the way you did. It looks Killer..!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thats and awesome rig
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
This little rig is totally BAD-ASS..!!!! I LOVE it, I think I just found the next truck I'd like to build..! Awesome job making it all come together the way you did. It looks Killer..!
Wow! Coming from you, that is a great compliment. Thanks! I've followed your build threads and they are incredible.

I was going to do this as a build thread but wasn't sure if I could get the thing going being that short and make it look good.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Well Dude, you did an incredible job on this truck and you should be Dam proud of it..!!

Oh, and IF you ever decide to sell it, I CALL first Dibbs now, because I WANT it...
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

that looks awesome. what is the width and wheelbase of the wild willy? I built an mrc based flatty and after looking at yours I know the push toy I started with is a copy of the wild willy body. mine was 7.5in w/b so I comp cut it. I have a build thread in the losi mrc section. Lil Joe my mrc scaler 1/10th scale jeep
here is how the body comes from the package

Last edited by wheelinjp; 09-28-2009 at 08:36 AM.
wheelinjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

AWESOME little rig. You did a great job on it. You really pulled off something that is pretty difficult and you made it look great too! I like the vintage ones in the pic also!

Great work my friend!

You NEED to post it here www.rcjeeps.com
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelinjp View Post
that looks awesome. what is the width and wheelbase of the wild willy? I built an mrc based flatty and after looking at yours I know the push toy I started with is a copy of the wild willy body. mine was 7.5in w/b so I comp cut it. I have a build thread in the losi mrc section.
The WB of the Wild Willy body is ~6.25". The width is just under 5.75". I pushed the WB of mine to 7.25". The MRC has a WB of 8.5 so I guess I nipped 1.25" off the MRC WB.

I want these axles under it if they ever do produce them
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171502
Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
You NEED to post it here www.rcjeeps.com
I didn't know that place existed. Done.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

To show how short this rig is, here is it next to my stretched CR-01 TJ

another shot I liked

My next project?? (can you tell I like Jeeps?)

Last edited by SpeedyDad; 07-03-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I am so doing that to my MRC and my WWII. Wish I had the CJ grill instead of the MUTT grille, oh well.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
RCC Addict

With such a short wheelbase, how well does it crawl? Ide love to see it in action, looks like you have quite a collection goin!!!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Looks friggin awesome!!!

Lets see a pic of it next to the Gi Joe Jeep.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Here's a quick yard wheeling video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ObjAtWhjhY

After watching the vid, I need to work on the frontend a little. It looks like my front tires don't flex much. What it is is a droop issue combined with the body flop issue. My front droop is limited because of how I mounted the front of the lower links. I have new ends to help that. That plus the weak shock springs allow the body and chassis to flop too much. This keeps the front tires from staying planted.

Update: I found that the RCBros shocks I was waiting for are the Yeah Racing 70mm shocks. TCS has them in stock so the shocks are ordered.

Last edited by SpeedyDad; 09-28-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quick update.

I got the Yeah Racing shocks. They really helped with the body roll. The front end seemed a bit too stiff with them on even with the supplied silver soft springs. I swapped them out with Team Associated black front buggy springs and used 35w oil in the front. Much better. In the rear, I upped the springs to the supplied blue medium springs and used 50w oil. This seems to have balanced out the suspension a bit better. We have the state championship RC offroad race this weekend and I'll be racing so no real on the rocks testing. I'll try to get that next weekend.

Pics
The upper front shock bolted right up to the current tower.

For the bottom, I wanted to angle them out a bit so I fabbed this bracket on my will. It also goes down and attaches to the factory lower shock mount.

The rears mounted right up

Some people wanted some more detailed shots of some of the chassis work so here it is. The Delrin looks purple in the pics because it is white delrin dyed black. I like working with white delrin because I can draw out the plan on it to make it easier to see on the mill. It is more black than the pics make it look.

The rear body mounts and chassis crossmember. I glued 3mm inserts in to the body mounts for the body mounting screws. The MRC battery tray was cut and fitted to secure the battery.

You can kind of see the upper link mounts

Front end.

Extremely short front driveshaft.

Center skidplate. It looks pretty thick and it is where the arms mount but it is only 1/16" thick where the tranny mounts.

Last edited by SpeedyDad; 07-03-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:40 AM   #19

...cool, I like these Willys to, and your crawler is great. I´ve seen another interesting Willys in our german forum, a 6x6 : http://www.rc-monster-trucks.de/incl...threadid=21891

greetz,
Volker
Volker-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Nice work on that rig, glad you fixed the body to make it look like the original M38. Those Losi axles look just right, was thinking of using them on my YJ build. You can never have too many Jeeps, I have a JK, TJ, YJ, and large Willy's MB build planned and I'm working on a a '05 Grand Cherokee WK build now.
JKJim is offline   Reply With Quote