Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Range Rover Classic build - Part 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Range Rover Classic build - Part 2

Hey Guys, well a few weeks ago I caught word that "Pantablo" was thinking of letting this Awesome rig go up for grabs, so I PM'ed him about it before he posted in the "For Sale" section, we struck up a deal, and It was then headed my way....

Heres Pablo's original build thread of this Awesome little scaler..!

Range Rover Classic build

And here it is after its cross country trip

Pablo did tell me there were a few "issues" that existed with this truck that might need to be fixed, but I knew once It reached my house, I could tweak whatever I found that was "wrong" in Pablo's opinion, and make this thing into a REAL capable wheelin' machine..!

Hmm, I didn't know Spaghetti was for dinner....

Ok, fast forward a few days, and I got most of it all straightened out.. I re-wired the chassis so just about everything you see above went away. The rear of the frame had a bad "kink" in it which was leaning the rear suspension way over to the passengers side. I had to cut the rear of the welded frame apart, re-straighten it and bolt it back together square.

Pablo originally came up with a Sweet way to mount the super RARE Range Rover body. Its screwed to the lower metal rocker panels that the front exo cage is brazed to. Problem was that the brazed "L" brackets were a bit to narrow for the bodys width ( bending it inwards at the bottom - which just didn't look right to me) so I cut the brackets off, made up some 1/4" longer mounting tabs out of aluminum and re-attatched everything back to the way it was ( Its just a little wider now at the bottom and the body now sits "right". I also removed the 3 spotlights from the grill guard and mounted up some KC's for the "Old School" 4 Wheeler look..!

Lastly I changed out the reduced Flatirons that came with the truck. It just so happens that I had a set of Reduced Tomahawks on modified Brat wheels ( from the Slickrock Samurai) and they were a PERFECT addition to this rig. I cleaned up the body a bit, and added a fresh coat of black paint to the exo cage. Still have to mount the interior and then add a few more scale details . Here are some NEW winter wheelin' pics - Enjoy..!

51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks great Chris! Now all it needs is some inner fenders and a roof rack..
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjeepbuilder View Post
Looks great Chris! Now all it needs is some inner fenders and a roof rack..

You read my mind, my friend..!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That looks good!
Hey, that spagetti didnt look like that before I pulled the winch switch, lol...

Glad you like it. Those wheels ARE perfect (I had a set on there previously, lol).

Thanks, you can send it back anytime, lol...

btw-looks great in the snow!
p-
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

wow that thing is looking better and better.

hey when pablo is done i want it back.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #6

looks great man! it only needs a little tweaking p!

got some nice pics of this rover!

bonards29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Looks great, but to me it seems like the axles are too narrow and the tires are too tall, but maybe the angles of the pics are making it look worse than it actually is lol.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Looks good Chris! I agree, add the roof rack and wheel wells and it is
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I love it! The brat wheels definitely look better, it widened the stance and fits the body better! Nice work
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman2010 View Post
I love it! The brat wheels definitely look better, it widened the stance and fits the body better! Nice work
I had black brat wheels on it so the stance is the same. Tires are shorter now, as they should be. I always intended the tires to be shorter too. Had 1.5's on it earlier.

I also agree it needs a rack. I was avoiding it since I already had a top heavy rover, lol. Wanted to avoid that with this one. Rack will make it.

I knew it would be in good hands. This is going to take a good build and make it great!
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
I had black brat wheels on it so the stance is the same. Tires are shorter now, as they should be. I always intended the tires to be shorter too. Had 1.5's on it earlier.

I also agree it needs a rack. I was avoiding it since I already had a top heavy rover, lol. Wanted to avoid that with this one. Rack will make it.

I knew it would be in good hands. This is going to take a good build and make it great!
Huh, must be the camera angles then, either way its a good lookin' rig, and some nice work on both parts, (pantablo and 51willys)
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

needs paint
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

It's painted, white...

The roof rack and a snorkel and this will look sweet!
FROADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
That looks good!
Hey, that spagetti didnt look like that before I pulled the winch switch, lol...

Glad you like it. Those wheels ARE perfect (I had a set on there previously, lol).

Thanks, you can send it back anytime, lol...

btw-looks great in the snow!
p-
LOL- Thanks Pablo, Hope I did ya proud bud..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
wow that thing is looking better and better.

hey when pablo is done i want it back.
Oh NO, you had your chance with this one already..LOL . Its funny, It originally came from Mass, went to California, and came right back to Mass again.. small world I guess..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonards29 View Post
looks great man! it only needs a little tweaking p!

got some nice pics of this rover!
A LITTLE....???

Well rest assured Its all better now.. Nice early pics of the rover too btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon12 View Post
Looks great, but to me it seems like the axles are too narrow and the tires are too tall, but maybe the angles of the pics are making it look worse than it actually is lol.
One thing to consider, this body is probably 1/12th scale, so its not all that big of a truck. If you were to put tlt axles under it, they would look WAY too big.. I am running aluminum wheel widners on my Brat wheels, and they are wider than the flatirons Pablo had on there. I think the combo is Perfect for this truck..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
Looks good Chris! I agree, add the roof rack and wheel wells and it is
Thanks Brian, Yup gotta have a Safari rack made up soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman2010 View Post
Thanks Man

Quote:

Thanks Again Pablo, well I am running aluminum widners on the wheels, so the overall track width IS wider than when I first got it from you. And those reduced T-Hawks are the same height as the flatirons, only wider as well. I think a Safari rack and possibly a snorkle will complete the overall look of this build too. I am a happy camper though, Thanks again for letting me snag it from ya..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx_ican92 View Post
needs paint
LOL - nope, Its already got paint Bud.. Its staying white..!! ( I've always liked the look of it this color)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROADER View Post
It's painted, white...

The roof rack and a snorkel and this will look sweet!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

sorry haha horrible resolution on my netbook, just looked like styrene. Its still great!
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #16

Looks good, one more scaler to add to your collection Can't wait to see this one run, hopefully this spring we can all go out and play again
steve03609 is offline   Reply With Quote