Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Reviving an old favorite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Reviving an old favorite

Well after hiding on a shelf in the closet for about 10 years, I thought it was time to breathe new life into an old Tamiya favorite......The Mountaineer.

I found it on ebay when I was about 17 and thought it would be cool to have a real scale vintage r/c truck. After fixing a few cracks in the original body, doing some paint work, and taking it to one show - I shelfed it so I could work on my 1:1. Well now it's back, and under-going a massive facelift. Like Joan Rivers facelift.

The plan is to build an all-around capable rig. For a lid I'll be using this body:

I love the '73-'87 Chevys! This is what I've gotten accomplished so far:

I plan on using those tires and wheels, but they're just mocked up on the axles for now. I was dying to see how it would look lol. The rear still needs narrowed like crazy, but I'm still waiting on my new shafts from rc4wd before I go any further. The original front was broken when I got the truck . So I ordered both just incase the rear decided it wanted to break too...After all, they are 30 years old...lol.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

looking good man cant wait to see more progress
balln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks! I can't wait to get my axle shafts so I can finally wheel this this thing. The next order of business will be to get some pvc so I can make some new inner beadlock rings for the steelies so they'll work with those tires. I knew everyone raved about the flat irons, but I never had any idea just how soft and sticky they are. The compound reminds me of the plowboys on my super, so they should be insane on the rocks
Old 02-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

looking good! do u plan on using that stock tranny? ide put a tranfer case in it to leave room for interior and for the scaleism
big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thinking about using the stock tranny for a little bit just to see how it performs, and to keep within the budget for now... With this being my first scaler and shaft-driven rig, I don't know much about the different t-cases available. What would be a good start?

I wouldn't mind doing a nice interior, but if memory serves me right, I think my factory clod-body glass may be tinted. Which is kind of a bummer...But at the same time it keeps me from having to build an interior until I can track down some clear glass lol.

I'm still undecided on painting the frame, but the more I look at it the more I think it would look good coated in some chassis-black, but I'm wondering if flaking would be an issue. I don't want it to be a shelf-queen, but I do want to make it look good lol.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

So your leaning toward a restoration? It might have a better a long term value if were nicely restored to a stock condition IMO.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I was leaning towards a restoration at first, but then somewhat decided against it. I am keeping all the original parts so if someone ever does want to buy it, they'll have them. I'm not going to be overly mean to it, but it will be driven once it's complete. So I guess you could say the goal here is to build a nice-looking capable trail rig using more than just the Mountaineer frame
Old 02-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflektr View Post
Thinking about using the stock tranny for a little bit just to see how it performs, and to keep within the budget for now... With this being my first scaler and shaft-driven rig, I don't know much about the different t-cases available. What would be a good start?
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=545
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=854
big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Sinking with the ship

If you are going to run the stock trans I would pin the spur gear in the trans or replace it with a Kyosho USA-1 counter gear. I believe RC4WD makes an aluminum gear as well. Once the stock one starts to slip it doesn't stop.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Sweet! Thanks! That Killer t-case is pretty awesome. They're less expensive than I had figured. If I ended up with one of those, I'd probably have to find some new driveshafts, wouldn't I?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
If you are going to run the stock trans I would pin the spur gear in the trans or replace it with a Kyosho USA-1 counter gear. I believe RC4WD makes an aluminum gear as well. Once the stock one starts to slip it doesn't stop.
Cool, I appreciate the heads up. What do you mean by pin the spur gear?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Cool, I appreciate the heads up. What do you mean by pin the spur gear?
the spur gear is a slipper gear, if you drill and tap it for a 3mm screw it will prevent it from stripping

Do you plan to mod the axles to correctly fit the RC4WD wheels? If so I offer front axle Cs and if I get enough axles I offer a service to modify the rear axle as well.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Awesome, thanks Sounds like a mod I'll be performing in the near future for sure. As far as the wheels go, I've already modded the front to accept the pin-mount wheels by narrowing the front knuckles and using some old TA01 stubs I had lying around. As far as the rear goes, I'm still waiting on my new axle shafts from rc4wd. The new rear is already set up for hex wheels, but I'll have to see if I can just leave the hex off and use the pin that's already there. If they're still too wide, I may have to re-read the sticky and do some modding.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Awesome, thanks Sounds like a mod I'll be performing in the near future for sure. As far as the wheels go, I've already modded the front to accept the pin-mount wheels by narrowing the front knuckles and using some old TA01 stubs I had lying around. As far as the rear goes, I'm still waiting on my new axle shafts from rc4wd. The new rear is already set up for hex wheels, but I'll have to see if I can just leave the hex off and use the pin that's already there. If they're still too wide, I may have to re-read the sticky and do some modding.
just be aware that running the front axle that way tends to lead to premature wear/failure. There have been a few guys who have tried it that Way and under use without a bearing on both side of the half shafts it wears the knuckles and king pins down. You have to remember that the housings and knuckles are made from crappy pot metal. I have seen plenty of ripped off knuckles and broken cases.

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 02-14-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Uh-oh, well that's no good then. I do want to wheel it a little, but definitely don't want to break the poor thing. I'm considering selling it once it's finished though.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Looks great! I'll be watching this build! The mountaineer is my all time favorite rig... hopefully someday I'll be able to afford one!
landrover4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Thanks! I can't wait to see it finished either lol. I'm still waiting on the axle shafts... Well I guess I could start on some body work while I wait The blower has got to go...I don't care how much whp it added lol. I'm also thinking about maybe doing something custom with the bed floor, but I still haven't decided. May have to flip through some 1:1 magazines and swipe some ideas.