Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My suburban

Well i will post my project here. I have shared it on another forum. My plans are a trail rig with a trailer to tow my blackjack 26. I have a TLT kit on the way along with a scx10 trans/clutch and mounting plate. I just got my hummer rims today i am working on cutting the outside bolts down. Here's a few pictures.
And i know the body isnt perfect but this is a toy for me to bash with. I'm sure in the future i will make more. I still need suggestions on motor/esc. Anyone running the traxxas 2.4ghz 4 channel radio? how is it?
*The boat will be repainted thats how i bought it*

I beleive this is the pic before the grille got re-done. bumpers are all fabbed up
87burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Some of my other things...not scale but r/c.
Here is a lunchbox van i'm working on

The real one under some arkansas snow!

The 1/25th scale version in progress still

Here is the rc blackfoot truck finished

Old 02-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Just a quick update. Still sick so this is on hold for now. Hopefully this flu will pass quick.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

The burb is coming along i got the rear connected by some shackles and springs i made up. Still need to do the front but i was able to get it running...not bad.

The wheels are hummer and the tires are chisel so they are working okay.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Nice suburban!
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #6

got that stealth drugdealer boat, did you get it for cheap? lol nice start dude looks like it will turn out good
civichbboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by civichbboy View Post
got that stealth drugdealer boat, did you get it for cheap? lol nice start dude looks like it will turn out good

Thanks guys! And yes that boat was pretty cheap. It doesnt have motor or esc (i need to pick those up eventually) and it will get a new paint job but it was only 40 shipped to my door. A pretty decent deal.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by civichbboy View Post
got that stealth drugdealer boat
x2- i am guessing that you are going to paint the burban just like yours with the red stripe!
you should leave the boat black or repaint it black and in red pinstripe, do the name smugglers run on the side as the name!
you got your self a nice little collection goin! keep it up!!!!!
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
x2- i am guessing that you are going to paint the burban just like yours with the red stripe!
you should leave the boat black or repaint it black and in red pinstripe, do the name smugglers run on the side as the name!
you got your self a nice little collection goin! keep it up!!!!!
( *EDIT* I just looked, you mean the pinstripe down the side? I could do that still. I'll look into that. )Red stripe? My 1:1 is blue and silver right now...goin to be all black as soon as i get the time to paint it. This burb is already painted and cleared just needs emblems and wipers along with a roof rack for some scale items. (an idea i have been toying with).

Maybe repaint the boat black with a red stripe, might look good. I have not gotten to think about that paintjob yet. I'm thinking about painting the trailer white. Its aluminum right now but i'm not sure how well i can clean it up or how to polish aluminum.

Good idea on the name! I may use it and put it on the boat.

Last edited by 87burb; 02-23-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Update: Good news and bad news. As always. The good news is i got her running today for a trial and error test. Everything worked well. I will need to change a few things. Here's the list so far:

Make spacers between the upper shackles.
Glue tires
Lock Diffs <--Anyone have a link to a how-to on TLT axles?
Find a ESC with reverse, I have 2 here and neither have reverse Can anyone help me out on that?
Make a battery tray
Waterproof everything. Do the axles need to be waterproofed? How do you waterproof a servo? What about the motor?

Thanks for your help so far, hopefully i'll be running again soon.

crappy test pics

Last edited by 87burb; 02-24-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

To water proof your servo you can use plasti dip found at like home depot or lowes maybe. search on youtube how to water proof an rc car or servo i think i guy named medic? has some good water proofing videos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87burb View Post
Update: Good news and bad news. As always. The good news is i got her running today for a trial and error test. Everything worked well. I will need to change a few things. Here's the list so far:

Make spacers between the upper shackles.
Glue tires
Lock Diffs <--Anyone have a link to a how-to on TLT axles?
Find a ESC with reverse, I have 2 here and neither have reverse Can anyone help me out on that?
Make a battery tray
Waterproof everything. Do the axles need to be waterproofed? How do you waterproof a servo? What about the motor?

Thanks for your help so far, hopefully i'll be running again soon.

crappy test pics

cdw327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

looks good!
how well does it flex?
big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I have it tore down, i'm waiting on the plasti dip to dry. I went and bought it from my local hardware store.

The flex is okay, i'll take a pic after i get it put back together.

I went ahead and added ball bearings in the axles and now i'm going to search for the best way to lock the diffs. It crawled a few things in the yard just fine and went thru the mud with easy! I just dont like how long the chassie has to be...it wants to catch in the middle and teeder.

I've been directed towords a TRAXXAS XL5 esc. So i'm watchin a couple of those and hopefully can get one for under 20. I cant spend too much right now.

My leafs ended up being 5 inches long from loop to loop...i cut the saw blades at 5 1/2 and bent the loops about 1/4 each.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

badass body, great work
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

thanks. i just got a reply from scaleoffroad.de and its going to cost 26.50 to get the emblems. they are not k20 and he doesnt have suburban emblems...i may need to make me some decals. His look like good quality but thats just not worth it for me. I could use that money on a esc. So i'll be working on making some later this week i guess!

I just went out and plasti dip the servo again and painted the frame n leafs.

Does anyone make leafs that are 5 inches long from loop to loop?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Test drive number 2...not too impressed! I need some help..
what could i do to fix the trans ?
Should i go with links instead of leafs? The leafs clearly are not strong enough unless i did something wrong?
onto the pics:

Old 02-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Any suggestions or help?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Here are the wheels for the trailer, still working out how to connect them.

Here is what i've gotten done on the trailer, i need to clean up all the "welds" and the front "ball hitch" needs to be shortened and bring the plastic closer to the metal.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Made a roof rack tonight. I need to make up my bungie cords and some other goodies for it. Thinking about ordering the proline light bar to add to the front. Does anyone know how long it is? Or would there be better buckets to put on a brass rod and add it to the front? I still need to clean this up and paint it black. I also have some items to put on it, a bike, skateboard, camping bags ect...I am needing a cooler though and i dont want to spend 16 bucks on the proline set. Any suggestions?
Another question, what do you guys use to clean up aluminum and solder? I need a good attachment for my dremel. I can use a file but it takes forever.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #20

everything's looking pretty good man. I found the perfect part at the hardware store to mount wheels to trailers but i don't know what they're called. just call me when you get the chance. Get that boat running and we'll race. That's a challenge by the way.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote