Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WD's New X2 SS Compound for Scale Tires with Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default RC4WD's New X2 SS Compound for Scale Tires with Performance

The battle for Super Scale and Performance is as old as the battle between Good and Evil.

Looks like RC4WD has narrowed that battle with their new introduction of the Softer and Stickier X2 SS Compound. It is currently only on the new Mickey Thompson Baja Claw 1.9 and Baja MTZ 1.9 Tires that have a height of 4.19". These are a great addition to the new Class 1 Scalers that really depend on the scale look but have always been plagued with less performance.

The new compound feels much softer and is stickier than the X3 Compound.

I was able to mount them on some Dick Cepik DC-2's for my Yota. Mind you that Yota weighs in at about 9lbs. The tires will probably go on my Class 1 Rubi when completed. If not, I will need some stiffer foams.

Here are the early pics.

I'm going try and get them out on the trails later this week...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I was able to mount them all up last night.

Knowing that the yota was heavy, I wanted to offer two tests.

I first decided to mount them to my stock Dingo. This is probably going to be one of the lightest rigs that would be run.

First thing I noticed was the sidewalls and foams held the weight...

Then it was time for some trails. I was limited but was able to include some rock, water and mud.

For the Dingo, I kept it more on rock and grass. With a vehicle this light, you really get to see the tires and tread working.

The Yota was next and at over 9 lbs, it really showed how soft the compound is. If I was two run them on here all the time, I would probably go with a firmer foam...But that was my first impression.

it was introduced to water, rock and mud...These things worked great. Even with wet rock, they seem to "squeegie" the water from the rock to find traction. There was no problem grabbing what little traction there is in the creek bed to help the front tires proceed where they want to go. Mud was not an issue either, due to the soft X2 SS compound, a blip of the throttle and the tread was clear. I couldn't find any dry dirt hills to attack but I would say that water, rock and mud is no match for these.

Now I just have to build a true Class 1 Rig.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

great write up now I need to see the mtz hook up.
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareaaxial View Post
great write up now I need to see the mtz hook up.
Keep an eye out I know there are a couple of my guys from over the pond that will be testing them.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I emailed rc4wd reguarding making the 4.75 baja claws in the new compound. They responded with sayin a few select tires will be remade using the new conpound but will be a few months b4 they do. Ill buy a few sets if they do. I love the claws, having a softer compound would make them amazing! Great write up btw we all appreciate hearing good thing about now products. And I esp appreciate the fact that u did using a light and heavy rig so wee would all know what to expect. Thx again
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
RCC Addict

But the real question is why didn't they make these 1.55's?
Old 09-30-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohecrawler View Post
But the real question is why didn't they make these 1.55's?
These are 1.9.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
These are 1.9.
I know they are 1.9's... they are marketing these for C1 so I was asking why DIDNT they make these as 1.55's they would look tremendiously better IMO.. but they look great anyway I just thought they would've made em 1.55 for the "scale factor"... that's all I was asking..
Old 10-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohecrawler View Post
I know they are 1.9's... they are marketing these for C1 so I was asking why DIDNT they make these as 1.55's they would look tremendiously better IMO.. but they look great anyway I just thought they would've made em 1.55 for the "scale factor"... that's all I was asking..
Sorry, read your post wrong.

Yes, we are marketing them for C1. Most people seem to say that 1.9 is still the most widely used wheel for C1. So that is why I made them 1.9.

1.55 will have new sizes and compounds coming soon. I just need time to cook up more tire ideas.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

on the fence for a set of the mtz's or pitbulls but the new compound looks promising
XxRockStar199xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

The Mtzs are killer got mine in today still waiting on the rims but these are the best compound I have felt on a tire.

Tread pattern is amazing.

bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
Sorry, read your post wrong.

Yes, we are marketing them for C1. Most people seem to say that 1.9 is still the most widely used wheel for C1. So that is why I made them 1.9.

1.55 will have new sizes and compounds coming soon. I just need time to cook up more tire ideas.
Ha! Just realized I was talkin TO... rc4wd...

So I have just a few thoughts if you care to hear them....
1: I believe 1.9s are more widely used in C1 for 2 reasons.... there are only like 10 diff sets of 1.55 rims available.. as for 1.9s they so over produced its insane.... also the fact that of the current selection of 1.55 tires most of them are out of spec or to tall... and the tires that are within specs are mostly 1.9s.... hope that makes sence cause I'm way to ttired to read this over and make corrections.. lol

What I'm getting at is if you made more "well performing" 1.55 tires that are also within C1 spec you'd see them much more widely used.. b/c for the "street" trucks runnin smaller rims such as the 1.55 steelies makes them much more appealing and realistic looking. I want to build a class 1 but the shoe dept is what's stopping me..
End of rant.