Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Another Bigbird 4runner build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 04:05 AM   #1

Default Another Bigbird 4runner build

bought 2 bodies, one to match my 1:1

got the rtr rc4wd 1/10 yota, lots of bugs to fix.

progress so far

when Bigbird ment they need sanding, I think he ment the areas at the top of the shell and front grill. there is a little over-mold but workable.

the rear body mounts are threaded style and I found some stock plastic tube the right size to thread them and level out the rear just right

drilled 2 holes all the way through the rear cross bar to bolt on the rear traxxas summit bumper, used cut body posts to get the right length
crawlitreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2010, 04:16 AM   #2

first off, the steering arm was rubbing against the front diff and cross bar. I removed the front cross bar plate and fabricated a thinner one out of sheet metal to get the clearance i need. I also gound down the tip of the steering arm.

Used an axial sc10 or honcho? front bumper kit i think. nipped off the side tabs and used the cross plate bolts to mount it, but its loose, i'll have to fix it later.

heres a veiw of that summit bumper

Last edited by crawlitreal; 09-30-2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: wrong pic
Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

truck looks good. are you putting clear windows with an interior?
BIGBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #4

yeah, doing the windshield, painting the rear windows, and i bought the axial interior.

the chassis still needs alot of tweeking. The steering servo set-up still rubs, so im in the process of mounting it vertical. the shocks need modifying, i need to find a thread on making them loose. Gonna try a tlt stock lower turn motor that rckjeep gave me cuz the planetary gear with the 45t is too slow.

also gonna try welding a roof rack, front and rear bumpers. I got tamia hilux nerf bars, but i might make metal ones. The tires have no wieghts, so the thing flips over real easy. Also bought hilux tail lenses that fit.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

how are those yota axels holding out?
BIGBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

so far the axles are good, but I havn't got around to finding a motor set up that's faster so that I can romp on them. the planetary gear assy. makes this thing go too slow. I tried a 15t motor, but the bearing diameter was too big to screw down into the motor plate. I'm still stuck with the stock electronics so I'll wait till I blow something up.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
RCC Addict

great build man! its coming along great.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #8

Default 4runner

just got one of these from bigbird also. hopefully ill do my first build thread or something, thanks for ideas, looks good.
GnarKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarKill View Post
just got one of these from bigbird also. hopefully ill do my first build thread or something, thanks for ideas, looks good.
Yeah, nice to know he's still selling them. I used this body for the axial G6 cause the Tamiya clear coat was not that glossy and was showing stress cracks. I built my second body in half the time with less sanding, used Model Master clear over a Tamiya primer & for "plastics" base color, and it turned out good for a shelf queen. I broke the tranny 10 feet before the finish line on the second night of the G6. I was impressed of how good it did over all, it went through gates that honchos had problems with. Only problem I have now is the leafs, I put the red Rc4wd leafs with one mid size leaf each, gutted out the shocks, and now the rear leafs bend. My next try is the delrin leafs, but now I'm broke and I'm working on my 1:1 cause I'm sick of getting pulled over for not having a rear bumper and mud flaps. Its the only thing that I can drive my kids around in, my other truck is a 2wd pickup same year, same color. I have more pics on some more tuning I did to this, I'll get them up when I fix the spring issue. Well, hope ur build turns out sweet!