Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Land Rover Discovery 1 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #61
Pebble Pounder

ALMOST FORGOT... I made my license plate. I used a base of Styrene, then a printed out photo of my Tennessee tag, then the last (top) layer is the frame. A final couple coats of clear and voila! I'm pretty happy with the result.

nevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #62
Pebble Pounder

Opinions needed!

I'm at a crossroads here. It has to do with my roof rack lights. I currently have the wiring going to a small box secured to the roof rack that houses the excess wiring, on/off switch and battery power.

I am considering removing the box and running the wiring under the rack and through the sunroof where I could velcro the battery inside the body and place the switch somewhere else. The reason is so that I can run without anything "strapped" to the roof rack.

Or...

Leave the wiring inside a NEW box that looks more scale as seen in the photo in the above post (used to prop the body up in the photo).

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks,
-Steven
Old 11-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #63
Quarry Creeper

I vote for the NEW box that looks more scale as seen in the photo in the above post.
Tremelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #64
'08 2.2 National Champ

This this is easily one of my favorite builds on the site! I love the attention to detail.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 AM   #65
Rock Stacker

that all i can say,I'm speechless
attme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Due to overwhelming response ;) I'm going with putting the wiring in the new box instead of running through the sunroof into the body.

Got it all run and placed. The new scale Pelican style case is secured to the roof and I have another coming in the mail to set next to it.

Waiting on my new wiring set ups from Bill's RC Lighting for my main running lights as well as my bumper off road lights and rock spotter lights that will be on the chassis.

Stay tuned!

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #67
RCC Addict

Gotta say you do amazing work. I just have a couple points of advice from my experience. As cool as you HiLift Jack mount looks and works, we have to face the fact that our scalers roll over a LOT more than our real ones and that jack won't survive many of them. I would also get you winch hook off the front by either taking it up to the roof rack like a lot of people do in prep for using it or at least to the top of your bumper. I have lost 2 Kongs and broked 2 cheapies by leaving mine either dangling of attached to the lwer bumper. SInce I moved mine to the top and moved my HiLift inside, not a broken or lost one.

neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Gotta say you do amazing work. I just have a couple points of advice from my experience. As cool as you HiLift Jack mount looks and works, we have to face the fact that our scalers roll over a LOT more than our real ones and that jack won't survive many of them. I would also get you winch hook off the front by either taking it up to the roof rack like a lot of people do in prep for using it or at least to the top of your bumper. I have lost 2 Kongs and broked 2 cheapies by leaving mine either dangling of attached to the lwer bumper. SInce I moved mine to the top and moved my HiLift inside, not a broken or lost one.
I was going to say the same thing, I'd be scared to death having that sweeeeeet scaleoffroad jack hanging off the back like that.

It's clear that you are an amazing craftsman, and this is an awesome build with insane detail and precision! I love it, minus the zebra
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment and I will certainly take any advise offered. I thought about the jack issue. This one has quite a bit of flex to it as it is not a "hard" plastic. It is fitted to this body and this body (due to time and effort) is going to be a show/light trail body. I have another Discovery body that I'm going to make into the real off road/beater shell.

Tell me more about why to move the winch from the bumper. You do not recommend even attached to the recovery point on the bumper like in the photo below. In full size, I would never have my winch out of reach... but this is not full size...

I ask all these questions because this IS my first project, and I built it to resemble a real truck.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #70
RCC Addict

As my D90 was for me.

As for the hook, if you look at your approach angle, you will typically hit the rocks first with your front bumper and if the hook is dangling or attacked to the swivle, it is going to hit first. I now go over my nose on all of my winches or at least to the stinger if there is one.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
As my D90 was for me.

As for the hook, if you look at your approach angle, you will typically hit the rocks first with your front bumper and if the hook is dangling or attacked to the swivle, it is going to hit first. I now go over my nose on all of my winches or at least to the stinger if there is one.
Gotcha! That makes sense.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

amazing work! good painting skills, so much detail and looks just like the real one!

good job!
ninetwofiveRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #73
Pebble Pounder

I got my undercarriage spotting lamps from Stefan. They will be perfect. These will be mounted to the chassis aiming down. On my 1:1 I use these for night runs and it helps my spotter to see where the obstacles are. I have just painted the insides silver. Will mount soon as my LEDs arrive.

I went to the LHS and got another package of tiny bolts so that I could finish up the roof rack. It is FINALLY DONE!!! All 8 brackets are in place and rack is for the most part a permanent fixture of the body.

The 99¢ Office Depot boxes for the roof rack have been replaced by new wicked cool Pelican style hard case (made for 12" GI Joe). I have modified it for the roof rack lighting set up and is bolted to the roof rack. I have another that goes right next to this one. It will not be bolted on.

Here is just a couple shots of the rear end for the heck of it.

And then there is the obligatory flex shot.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Insane skills! The attention to detail is outstanding! Cant wait to see more.

Trost
trost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #75
Pebble Pounder

Just an awesome build man, great detail. I bet if you put it next to your 1:1 at the right angle it would be pretty toough to tell which one was the real one...
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

I am a jeep guy but damn this is nice!
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #77
RCC Addict

Default Wire Loom

Send me your address and I will send you a short piece of black wire loom for the wires in your roof rack. Really adds a nice touch. Here is what it looks like:

Split woven wire loom material
Old 12-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #78
Rock Stacker

Just wow..... subscribed, but I need a tutorial on the soldering.

Are you just soldering it like normal wire? Thats just amazing.
79cutlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #79
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Send me your address and I will send you a short piece of black wire loom for the wires in your roof rack. Really adds a nice touch. Here is what it looks like:

Split woven wire loom material
PM Sent
Old 12-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cutlas View Post
Just wow..... subscribed, but I need a tutorial on the soldering.

Are you just soldering it like normal wire? Thats just amazing.
Here's is a great video one of the RCC members put together. It shows materials and tutorial... Wish this was around when I was starting out.

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwVautBltfU