Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Land Rover Discovery 1 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #81
Pebble Pounder

I bugged RC4WD about how to improve the suspension on my truck as my shocks/springs were bottomed out due to the heaviness of this pig of mine.

They offered to send me some HD springs that they are working on to see if it could help me with my problem.

I have lots of droop but no upward travel.

I made a short video of the before and after. I will do a field test soon.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0t5tGFyN8

Cheers,
-Steven
nevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #82

You're attention to detail is outstanding! some of the pics I had to stare at to tell if it was the scaler or 1:1. I bet you're almost as nervous to roll your scaler over as the real thing

I really dig your light set-up. I'm currently experimenting with a microchip which will turn on blinkers, brakes and reverse lights much like you have. How did you go about getting your lights to work?

Thanks!
-Ryan
xdillonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #83
Pebble Pounder

I did a little Field Test yesterday. It was rainy and cold and I didn't drive this thing like I should have. However, I did want to get out and see the results of the previous night's spring swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H_kKFlKnsg

Not happy with the front end right now, but I have some bigger issues than just the springs. There is some binding issues that I have to work through. The rear end is PERFECT!!!

Overall, very pleased.

Cheers,
-Steven

Last edited by nevets; 12-05-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #84
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdillonx View Post
You're attention to detail is outstanding! some of the pics I had to stare at to tell if it was the scaler or 1:1. I bet you're almost as nervous to roll your scaler over as the real thing

I really dig your light set-up. I'm currently experimenting with a microchip which will turn on blinkers, brakes and reverse lights much like you have. How did you go about getting your lights to work?

Thanks!
-Ryan
Thanks you very much Ryan! I'm getting another body for that very reason ;)

I was using the RC4WD Scale Lighting Kit. That controlled turn signals and reverse lights. I did not like the body and chassis tethered together. I ditched the kit and have a 9v battery powered kit that is self contained in the shell alone. Sure I don't have turn signals anymore, but really do not care about that. Also, makes swapping bodies a snap.

Thanks again,
-Steven
Old 12-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets View Post
I bugged RC4WD about how to improve the suspension on my truck as my shocks/springs were bottomed out due to the heaviness of this pig of mine.

They offered to send me some HD springs that they are working on to see if it could help me with my problem.

I have lots of droop but no upward travel.

I made a short video of the before and after. I will do a field test soon.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0t5tGFyN8

Cheers,
-Steven
I actually run a suspension that is droop all the way in front and 3/4 in the rear (SCX10 based FJ40 with RC4WD shox). I have tried my suspension set with stiff springs and it handled the trail horribly. It turned out that my rig was really heavy as well after adding all the extras..... Just my 2 cents worth but my rig wheels much better with the way you 1st had your set up. Since you are not bashing and catching air, you really don't need to have that down travel. You may need to work on freeing the axle for more articulation though as you stated something was binding.

Another area to improve performance might be ridding your shocks of the famous RC4WD stiction (most famous in their scale shocks, but exist in your-type shocks as well)....There are a few threads on this forum that have to do with polishing the shafts and using only enough oil to lube the shocks but not truly dampening them.

GL and WOW! killer work......

C H
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #86

TO FIX THE HIGHLIFT JACK PROBLEM:

The Scale Shop online sells a metal highlift jack that looks like the real thing. way more rugged + same mounting point = happy builder
jeepjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Wow, absolutely incredible build. Awesome eye for detail
0lllllll0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #88
Pebble Pounder

Well, I've solved my binding issue. I replaced the servo horn with another that I heated and bent. In addition, I made it slightly shorter.

The photo below shows the new servo horn and the suspension is relaxed.

The next photo shows the suspension compressed. The stock horn was not only a bit longer and straight, but had additional "meat" on top. as shown in the RC4WD photo below this next one. With this following photo you can see that I now have plenty of room between the servo horn and the axle housing... and you can probably tell with the original set up where I was having issues.

CruiserHead, I am running soft spring on top and heavy duty on bottom on all 4 shocks, and it is handling great. Especially now that I have free'd up the front suspension. Look at that last video I posted... In the very beginning, my rear end gets caught up on that log. Check out how easily the axle articulates. That is with the new "dual rate" shock set up in back. I get great movement and now have a bit of lift. I was sitting on my bumpstops before... so to speak. I also figured out the whole O-Ring dealio. I went ahead and removed one of the internal ones for a test. It's great and will likely leave it out.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Very nice. Although I do have RC4WD shox, they are not duals. I took my shox all the way apart and oiled the rings and polished the shaft with a special cloth we have at school for such things. They work much better than when I first tried them and the softer springs helped my rig handle the trail much better. In my case, i believe that the simple lower CG got the weight just low enough to make a difference..

This is one killer rig. Subscribed 4 sho!...

C H
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

Wow! Very nice build! I love the zebra!
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #91
Pebble Pounder

Started on some Styrene... First accomplishment was the fuel tank. The fuel tank will hold the receiver, BEC, ESC, etc. I am painting it with Plastidip just to make sure is is waterproof and once all the electronics are inside, I will either use a heavy amount of dielectric grease or just silicone the lid on. I like the idea of grease so that I can easily take the lid off as needed.

Anyway, here are some pics:

I know it looks huge, but when it's between the frame rails, it looks just about right. I'll be sure to post pics of it installed when I get to it

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 12-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #92
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so I made another short video. After my suspension tweaks, I wanted to see how it performed. I took a couple minutes of video, then slowed down the film rate. The quality is kinda crappy, but you can see how the truck performs. It is very fluid and reacts like a 1:1. I'm very happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjp9dh3wvJA

I really, really... REALLY need a high speed camera.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

Nice! Film speed isnt too bad... was it 30 or 60fps? The music is perfect for a landy
prifral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #94
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by prifral View Post
Nice! Film speed isnt too bad... was it 30 or 60fps? The music is perfect for a landy
Thanks! It was shot at 30fps, then slowed down in my video editor to 15fps. That is why the quality is not so great.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Dude, EXCELLENT job on the body. That looks absolutely fabulous.

You nailed your 1:1 truck perfectly, and your attention to detail is outstanding.

I daily drive a 1995 Classic, so I can really appreciate this build...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #96
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Dude, EXCELLENT job on the body. That looks absolutely fabulous.

You nailed your 1:1 truck perfectly, and your attention to detail is outstanding.

I daily drive a 1995 Classic, so I can really appreciate this build...
Thanks Big Mike. If I were to get a Classic... a 95 SWB "soft Dash" is what I'd get. Good choice!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #97
Pebble Pounder

I finally got all of my lighting installed and wires tidied up. All of the lighting on this truck is independent from the receiver. I had the RC4WD kit and hated being tethered to the receiver, so I went a different route. All teh lighting is run from 9v batteries.

You've already seen the roof rack lights. They are posered by a 9v located in one of the Pelican style cases on the roof rack.

The next set of lights are my 3 fog lamps on the front bumper and 6 rock spotting lights. There is a rock lamp at each of the 4 corners and 2 in the middle of the chassis. Unfortunately, I lost one of the housings and have to either make or order a new one. (I went for a run while they were still just mocked up and not permanently secured and Lord knows where it fell off)

The next set of lights is permanently attached to the Zebra body. There is headlights, front running lights or ambers and then tail lights. I have the 9v double sided taped under the hood. I may build a little carrier glued there and have a strap that holds the battery in place for easy change out. We will see.

So, now onto the important photos... In action!

Front headlights and ambers:

Tail lights:

Headlights, fog lights and spotting lamps:

Tail lights and spotting lamps:

Now ALL the lights:

Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

Here are some photos I found of my truck with the six under carriage rock spotting lamps on. I put the ones on my RC in the same locations (sort of).

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #99
Pebble Pounder

One more thing; Here is a photo of the gas tank electronics tank painted with Plastidip and installed. I still have to lengthen all of the wiring so that my electronics can actually go in there.

Thanks for looking!
-Steven
Old 12-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Love the new spotting lamps.
Tremelle is offline   Reply With Quote