Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Land Rover Discovery 1 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #121
Pebble Pounder

The overall theme of this truck will be like a competition rig. My inspiration is basically the vehicles from the Outback Challenge. Google image search outback challenge and you can see what I mean.

I still do not know what I'm doing for a paint scheme (open to input) but know that I will do big sponsor logos like the vehicles below.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
-Steven
nevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #122
Quarry Creeper

The new body is coming along nicely.
Tremelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #123
Pebble Pounder

Sucks your rig took that nasty fall. Im sure you will get it squared away. Question for you though, what are you using for window material? I see you aren't using any interior on your build either. Any reason to this or was it simple to deal with less? I really like your styrene work. Keep it up!

Julio
boostamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #124
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelle View Post
The new body is coming along nicely.
Thanks. Gonna have some fun with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostamante View Post
Sucks your rig took that nasty fall. Im sure you will get it squared away. Question for you though, what are you using for window material? I see you aren't using any interior on your build either. Any reason to this or was it simple to deal with less? I really like your styrene work. Keep it up!

Julio
It did suck, but it's really all back together. Windows are just bits of clear blister pack. Think of action figure packaging or the like.

As far as interior, I just have not gotten that far. I'm really procrastinating as it will likely be completely scratch built.

Thanks again,
-Steven
Old 01-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #125
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets View Post
Thanks. Gonna have some fun with this one.

It did suck, but it's really all back together. Windows are just bits of clear blister pack. Think of action figure packaging or the like.

As far as interior, I just have not gotten that far. I'm really procrastinating as it will likely be completely scratch built.

Thanks again,
-Steven
Clear Blister pack? Where can i get that? IM thinking of doing this to my XJ body when i get around to it.
boostamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #126
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostamante View Post
Clear Blister pack? Where can i get that? IM thinking of doing this to my XJ body when i get around to it.
Well, the thing is... you gotta buy something. Anytime I get anything in clear packaging, I save it. I think that this could be a window or a headlight and it goes into the scrap plastics bin (aka cardboard box).

After Christmas with the family is usually a good time to stock up on plastic. There is always stuff in clear plastic packaging.

That of course is being the cheap guy that I am. You can always but clear styrene from a company like Evergreen which usually stocked at any Hobby shop. The problem with this is that its A) expensive, and B) more brittle.

Good luck! I hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #127
Pebble Pounder

Dude SImply Amazing. I had a 96 D1 that I striped like that also. Actually i may have been at windrock with you a few years ago with the guys from Dicoweb

Awesome rig
CaptainSafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #128
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSafety View Post
Dude SImply Amazing. I had a 96 D1 that I striped like that also. Actually i may have been at windrock with you a few years ago with the guys from Dicoweb

Awesome rig
Ha! I remember you. Your truck has been destriped and now resides in Virginia. Was wheeling with it in October.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #129
Pebble Pounder

Finally... An update!

I have been super busy lately and have not really been able to do too much in the way of building. On the 9th of this month I went out with the Scale Trail Runners for a get together. During the few hours I was out there with my rig, I had broken nearly every plastic rod end that came on my Gelande chassis. I can only believe that it was the 30 degree temperatures that caused this. I was very disappointed and very frustrated. I spent more time repairing than driving. So, during the following week I was dismantling the chassis and replacing every plastic bit with metal.

For the past 2 weeks now I have been going back and forth between fabbing up the exterior roll cage for the beater body and figuring out the interior for both. The exo cage is very slowly coming and I will get some shots of it when there is something more to show.

However, The floorpan is starting to take shape. I have the entire rear end complete and only have the the front wheel wells to do. Then I can start figuring out the actual interior.

I know I have stated this before, but this is my first build that involved fabricating with styrene and have not learned all the ropes yet, but I am pretty happy with the progress so far. All of my other styrene work has just involved adding bits here and bits there. This is the first real project to test my skills.

Ok... enough with the gabbing... On with the pics.

You can see the contour of the chassis and the little feet actually snap on to the rails that support the rock sliders. This will keep the interior stable and also be easily removable. The clips are modified closet organizer bits. They work perfectly for this purpose.

This photo shows the partial floor pan. The square hole in the rear is where my fuel tank (aka electronics bin) comes through.

This is the underside and you can see the notches for the mini shaft and top of transfer case as well as holes for the shock towers to slip through.

This photo shows the floorpan attached to the chassis. The transmission tunnel (for lack of a better term) is not finalized. The interior build will likely cover that completely, but I needed to do something to keep the floor straight and rigid after the notches for the driveshaft, etc.

Notice on the front that I have the "wings" that will be used to attach the front wheel wells.

In this photo you can see the mounting clips attached to the rock sliders rails.

The bottom shows the clips.

Well, that's all for now. I know it has been a while, but I do hope to get back to making some more regular progress. Not only on the interior, but on the beater body as well.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #130
Quarry Creeper

I really like the idea you have for the floor pan. That is a slick method of attaching it to the chassis.
Tremelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #131
RCC Addict

Awesome stuff as usual! Your rig may have needed the most repair on the 9th but it was definitely one of the coolest! It also surprised me performance wise, with some bigger tires it woulda been a contender! Keep us updated for sure!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #132
Rock Crawler

I absolutely love this build. I used to have a 2004 disco, i got an scx 10 and an lr3 in attempt to re build it but the lr3 body just doesnt do it justice. This has really inspired me thought to get a hold of one of these discovery bodies and try it out. Really love the way yours came out.
Colorofkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #133
Rock Crawler

First off, this is a beautifully made truck! Awesome job on details and everything! I really like how almost everything is handmade. Sorry to hear about the accident off of that "cliff". I had a nitro car that glitched and smashed into two poles so I know how it feels. Can't wait to see more progress on both bodies!
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #134
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys for the comments. I really regret not being able to work on this project for the past couple of months. I hope to get back to this very soon. I have just been swamped with work (actually a real good thing).

Please be patient with me.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #135
RCC Addict

Glad your still around and glad your also busy!!! Hope to see you again sometime soon!
Matt
Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #136
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Matt. I was out playing a bit this weekend around the house... Had to take advantage of the amazing weather we're having here in East Tennessee.

Afterall, All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Hope to get out with you guys again!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #137
RCC Addict

For sure man!!! Were all changin things up it seems so its gonna get interesting again here shortly! Gotta hit up an even here soon when the weather gets nice again
Matt
Old 04-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #138
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Land Rover Discovery 1 Build

this a horrible setback since this was a fantastic rig but this is why, thanks to an early outing with my rc, i tend not to add to much detail. I too have a couple of disco 1 bodies but the one I use gets thrashed pretty bad.

Although on the brightside, at least your skilled enough to fix it, im only 16 so I'm not 'pro' haha
George014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #139
Pebble Pounder

amazing work with the copy of the 1:1, how'd you end up with the second body?
pozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #140

Nice floor pan, and copying of your 1:1

How's the other body cpming?
hopefully it turns out as well as your other did
jhtfarquhar is offline   Reply With Quote