RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   1.9 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/)
-   -   Need some general information and thoughts (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/284368-need-some-general-information-thoughts.html)

mwallin85 12-03-2010 06:31 PM

Need some general information and thoughts

I'm a noob when it comes to all the new crawlers/scale rigs out there. I have a Clod Buster that I have built up over the last 10 years but I was thinking of getting a new scale rig. Just looking around I noticed the Tamiya Hi lifts and like those but can someone tell me what the differences are between the 3 trucks out? Also I seen Axial has some models out. What do people feel is the most scale truck out? Any help on those two thoughts would be great!

honcho1.9 12-03-2010 07:12 PM

the only difference between the tamiya trucks really is the body and maybe the frame length, the axial scx is really a good truck out of the box but its made to be more of a truggy type then scale IMO, the tamiya trucks are built decent but seem kinda pricey to me kits go for 350 then add the price of a tx/rx, batteries, servos, itll get pricey, thats y i bought the scx 10 tr

canadianbacon 12-03-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honcho1.9 (Post 2776263)
the only difference between the tamiya trucks really is the body and maybe the frame length, the axial scx is really a good truck out of the box but its made to be more of a truggy type then scale IMO, the tamiya trucks are built decent but seem kinda pricey to me kits go for 350 then add the price of a tx/rx, batteries, servos, itll get pricey, thats y i bought the scx 10 tr

If it was a truggy then it would be scale, it still is scale with the flat bed and roll cage it has.

The main differences in the High lifts like honcho 1.9 said is the body and frame lengths, I don't have one but that's about all I can see. The Axial SCX-10 is definitely a great truck to start with (a bit biased as I own one lol) as it has tons of aftermarket support, tough drive train components and support from a company that essentially started all of this.

mwallin85 12-03-2010 08:33 PM

Ok thats kindda what I thought the difference was but its hard to tell just looking at them online. Money is an issue I just want the better of the trucks for my purpose.

canadianbacon 12-03-2010 08:41 PM

Most bang for buck then is definitely an SCX10.

bent 12-04-2010 12:07 AM

If money is an issue you can take your stock clod buster add some revo links in place of the stock 4 link bars and have you a MOA (motor on axle) crawler. It wont be a scale rig per say but it will be a crawler then. I would recommend swapping the stock stocks out for some t-maxx/e-maxx shocks.

If I had to choose between the trucks you listed though I would have to say go with the SCX10 TR

mwallin85 12-04-2010 05:59 AM

Sorry I meant to say money isn’t an issue, any good websites that carry parts for the tamiya trucks? found a few places like rc4wd.com but anyone have any recomendations.

warriorsimi 12-04-2010 11:35 AM

i would say the axial is your best capable truck ,it has the best parts support and they take a beating ,if money is not an issue then maybe look at rc4wd trucks ,i would buy all the best parts and build one from scratch and make it your own .

mwallin85 12-06-2010 03:25 AM

one other question do the wheels from a Axial sx10 fit on the tamiya high lifts? Like to get a cheaper solution than some of the 100+ doller beadlocks I have seen.

jeepjk 12-06-2010 05:18 PM

the axial beadlocks do fit on the tamiyas but are very tall! luckily the high lift chassis has very poor articulation so you should'nt run into too much tire rub. i definately recomend that you go with the scx10 chassis. ive had one for a while and i have had two high lifts in the past. i get the allure of a high lift believe me. they are supper scale, shiny, they come with a three speed and are pretty sexy when you look at them. the problem with all of this is that the truck's suspension needs alot of work both in stiffness and geometry, the three speed tranny has never worked well for me when crawling and i know they were set up properly, the parts are hard to find and expensive and the rigs are very heavy. you can still acheive a very scale rig with an scx10 chassis but no matter what you do with them they perform well enough.