Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Comp Courier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #341
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Comp Courier

Nice job on that truss, hopefully it helps out your left turn issue.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #342
RCC Addict

Yeah Im hoping so as well. Its gotta be somethin simple that I can tweak to make it happen. If I could get this thing to turn like I want it to do so then I feel like Ill be close to gettin the performance out of it close to what it used to be!

Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #343
RCC Addict

Here it is mounted up ready to go.

Everything is spot on and there is 0 binging issues...only complaint is how high I made the shock mounts. The front rides a little higher than Ide like but in order for the rear steering to work I needed the shocks out of the way. I could possibly lower them slightly by drilling new mounting holes but Ill try it out first. One thing this allows for is a tad bit more tire clearance at full flex to the tubework. Otherwise shes ready for more!

Matt
Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #344
I wanna be Dave

Love that this rig just keeps evolving..

Keep it up.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #345
RCC Addict

Thanks man, its certainly a fun rig and FINALLY Im gettin it to perform the way it used to while lookin the part as well. Im gonna work on lowering it slightly then see what I can break next!

Matt
Old 01-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #346
RCC Addict

Last night I finally took a second to address one of the only things that bothered me about the new suspension setup...the ride height up front. The Courier has always kinda had a Bulldog stance with the longer shocks up front than rear but we put the hoops through the hood in hopes of leveling it out a tad. With the new Truss I built and the addition of the BTA steering I had to mount the shock a little higher than normal for clearance. I took the front apart and drilled the shock mount as low as I could then flipped the shocks and mounted them to the outside of the mount just to see if it would work and also if it would cause any issues then put it all back together.

I now have just as much if not more steering clearance and havnt lost any flex or more importantly, smoothness throughout the range of motion.

I LOVE the new stance, closer to level and looks alot more like it used too, and look forward to getting it out on the rocks to see if its worth sticking with. If so, the entire front end is coming apart and all of my reliability/fit and finish/slop issues are getting addressed. Lookin at probably having to get new knuckles, C's, CVDs and tubes along with having to more than likely redesign the truss. Now i just need to find that money tree and get to picking lol

Matt

Last edited by 66sprint6; 01-31-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #347
RCC Addict

Got the Ole Courier back out this weekend at Shanty Hollow to knock some of the dust off the ole girl. She did awesome as usual!

Ended up breaking the other Jato rod end in the rear links and rather than calling it a day like I had to last ride, we got out the zipties!

That pic was taken at the END of the ride...she broke within the first 10 minutes of the trail and went all the way from there to the hollow and back to the parking lot without fail. ZipTies FTW!!!

Tryin to push Thomas outta the sticky stuff.

PUNCH IT!!!

Wait a minute, somethins up.

Fixed the steering link issue and then tossed the front driveshaft. Ended up driving the entire rest of the trail back in RWD which was QUITE enjoyable. 10.5 brushless on 3cells in RWD can make for some fun driving tryin to clear some nasty obstacles. Had a blast as usual, now I have two things I need to fix that are currently held together with zipties lol

Matt
Old 09-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #348
RCC Addict

Fixed a couple issues on the Courier from the last ride and hit LRC with it. Only got one pic but she was on top of her game as usual. Crawled everything I threw at it and then some. Im not happy with the lack of steering and know its a geometry issue with the linkage and servo so Im gonna set out to solve that and I also broke yet another REVO rod end. I cant keep the rear rod ends safe so Im gonna have to rethink my links but outside of that shes rock solid. I also need to get some better beeftubes with mounting holes for the hubs and panhard. Couple minor tweaks and everything will be spot on!

Only got one pic from the top of the mountain.

Matt
Old 09-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #349
RCC Addict

Rpm makes revo size rod end. You could try those.
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #350
RCC Addict

Hmmmmm...good call man, we wondered that at LRC when it broke again but your confirming it is awesome news. At the moment Im going back to the shorter Revo ends and ditching the Jatos except on the upper rear links where they seem to be pretty solid. I also found one of the reason I kept breaking that particular side's Jato end...bent link took a LICK somewhere along the way and had a funny angle going into the axle which made it bend on the rear axle skid I made up causing it to snap eventually. That will be sorted out as well. Got some new parts headed this way to try and finally resolve the sloppy front steering and axle play. Hopefully after this round of work she will be more consistent than ever and better able to hold tricky lines. We shall see!

Matt
Old 10-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #351
RCC Addict

Whole bunch of new-ness goin on up front!!! The sloppiness of the front end was killing me. The homemade beeftubes were stripped out allowing the Chubs to wiggle around badly, the Axial CVDs have some slop in em from the beginning, the steering was ok but still not up to snuff and the panhard mount/truss broke its mounts on two different axle housings. After scratching together some RC cash I put the words out for the next round of mods and picked up some used aluminum XR swap tubes and universals and got some new Vanquish Wraith hubs and knuckles along with some Dlux no slop bushings. I went with the stock width setup rather than going super wide which allowed me to reuse the original axle housing from the early days of the Courier which broke off the very end where the hub used to mount. I recessed the XR mod tube where the truss mount bolts into the housing so I could run a slightly longer screw and then put it all together.

LOVE IT!!! Its only a hair wider than before and not even noticable compared to the rear width. The steering is already better and its got minor clearance issues that will easily be resolved. Much more and I will have to clearance the universals a bit to work smoothly. All I need to do is put together a steering arm from the servo and Im good up front.

The slop is now SUPER minimal and its actually all the way through the front axle and can be traced to the MIP driveshaft!!! I love it and look forward to seeing how much better it can hold those tricky lines. Hopefully now itll be up to my driving to make it of break it!

Oh yeah, I also painted the CAC rings black and wish I had done it a lot earlier!

After getting the servo happy with the changes I will be moving on to re-doing the rear links and it should be back on the rocks.

Matt
Old 10-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #352
RCC Addict

You'll love that xr10 mod. I've done it to my last two scx10 and its well worth the $$
Old 10-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #353
RCC Addict

Yeah man I already love it and I havnt got it even close to running. The front wheels used to have SO much slop in em, in all directions too which used to kill me on certain lines where the difference between an awesome climb and a massive roll over is very very slim. Hope this clears that crap up for good and the additional steering is fantastic!

Matt
Old 10-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #354
RCC Addict

Plus the xr10 unis are way stronger that the scx10 cvds.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #355
RCC Addict

Yeah i can already see that, they are beefy for sure which is awesome. The SCX10 CVDs will go nicely in a smaller rig like the Mule but these Unis are sweeeeeet!!! Very tight too, there is very very little slop in them compared to the CVDs.

Matt
Old 10-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #356
RCC Addict

I would break at least 1 cvd a ride. Sometimes 2 or 3. Never broke the xr10
Old 10-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #357
RCC Addict

Thats awesome to hear man, Ive broken a couple CVD pins and goobered up the collars in the process. These suckers look stout enough to handle anything Ill ever throw at em and more importantly, handle it over the course of time as well!

Matt
Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #358
RCC Addict

In the interest of getting the Courier back together in time for this weekend's run in KY I decided to scrap my new link project and just make somethin work for now. Luckily it wasnt too hard and my wheelbase didnt suffer too much for it. I believe Im right at 12 and 7/8 inches which is a little shy of the 13" I wanted but itll do for the weekend. All I lack is to install the servo link and Im set.

After the weekend Ill look into finishing up the links I started and getting it all set in stone. Im also gonna look into lowering the servo again to allow the body to fit a little closer to the front tube work.

Matt
Old 10-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #359
RCC Addict

Looking good Matt. Did you see the 2 courier bodies for sale today. I went to text ya about them but didn't have your number anymore
Old 10-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #360
RCC Addict

Nah man, havnt seen em Ill look. I dont have your number either after my phone got smashed last week! Ill PM you.

Matt