LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Looks cool, like the dove tail work.
xigtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Just did a little more work on the dove tail to tighten it up a bit, was rubbin the tires on the bed sides real bad...now it juuust clears with the 4.5" tires. The bigger tires still rub but oh well.
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Did you completely cut the bed off? If so, how'd you reattach it? How'd you reattach the tailgate?
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #24
RCC Addict

I did, in order to shorten the body up a bit. I cut it right down the body lone between the cab and bed. Then I put it in a vice about an inch up from the cut and bent it inwards making almost a tab out of extra material. I then glued it to the inside of the cab using Shoe Goo. The tailgate is off my F100 body, and I cut the Courier tailgate off and lined it up with the F100 gate and tacked em together with CA. I then cut some extra lexan strips and Shoe Goo-ed em in behind the joints for strength. Hope thats clear enough for ya!
Matt
Old 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Yup, sure is, thanks!
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Really liking the comp courier. Love the dove tail. You said you were brazing, what brazing materials did you use?
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #27
RCC Addict

I used solid steel tubing, sheet steel and Harris Safety Silv. It is the BEST!!! I was usin some cheap stuff before and it would break after a good day of trail riding...this safety silv stuff...tough as nails!
Matt
Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Thanks man! I got my bender stole and my cutter, but I'm gonna make me a new bender. Got some good stuff planned my Honcho.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Little bit of an update on the ole Courier.

Ive been hard at work not only puttin together a tire to help keep up with the new RC4WD additions, but venturing into foams as well. I came up with a set of 5 inch 1.9 Flat Irons, and bein sick of freezing memory foams, put together a wicked dual stage foam to go with it and mounted it all on a beautiful set of Mayhem Slammerz. Initial testing showed that I was onto somethin

Even 5 inch tires wont get you thru knee deep mud LOL

I now have a couple stock height 1.9 Irons, my newest addition of a 4.5" iron, two different 4.75" Irons and nasty set of 5.0" Irons in 1.9 as well as a 5.5" 2.2 set. Needless to say, I love Flat Irons lol and with this obsession in mind, finally producing some competative tires, as well as some recent successful foam testing thanks to the Courier and Jbird, The IronWorks was born Ive got an Iron for every occassion

I will post up some pics of all the Irons here shortly. I love taking them apart and figuring out new ways to make them work...and boy do they work!!! At the moment I have built a bed for the Courier, a toolbox and have added some other scale goodies. I am working on an interior as we speak as well as playin with some better paint techniques to try and keep it from flaking off. Stay tuned!
Matt

OH...on a side note, ANYone runnin these new Claws or Boggers needs to get a good set of dual stage foams. I know Crawler Innovations is currently testing some, but they are a MUST HAVE.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

i love this truck man! i've always loved 2.2 flatirons but those 5" 1.9s are nice. i might have to make a set for my Scout.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Here is a couple update shots of what Ive been up to fab wise.

Bed with loose toolbox jack and fire extinguisher. The toolbox is held in place with a magnet so it will come loose on some rollovers. It holds a tow strap, some bungees and some jumper cables all thanks to Norm at ThreeSix!!!

You can see the beginnings of a new interior, again thanks to Norm. It was supposed to be for the Ugly Yota but didnt fit thanks to the Yota being patched together so many times. With some work tho the interior will look right at home in the Courier!!! Great work on these parts man, Three Six has got some good stuff!!!

The paint hasnt been holding up very well at all so I sanded down a fender to test another paint out, we'll see how it holds up to some abuse before I decide to go with it.

Here are a few of the tires Ive got goin right now! There are a couple more in the idea phase and I hope to make them a reality but to tell the truth, the 5.0s are gonna get the most work over the next little bit

Matt
Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #32
RCC Addict

I love this truck!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

That truck is coming along great

Those tires are huge!!

Can't wait to see more!!
th67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #34
RCC Addict

All my suspension work up front is in pieces again after a big failed attempt to get rid of the panhard bar which was the culprit in keepin this thing from flexin like it should. Now Ive got the panhard mounted nearly perfectly parallel with the steering at ride height and it seems better but until I get the servo in I wont know if its gonna work out. Im also puttin together another Courier body as we speak to run with smaller 1.9 tires when I dont feel like runnin the 5.0s.

On a side note, I threw in a crappy Spektrum servo and hit my snow covered rock pile with the 5.0s They ate it up!!! Some spots were tricky but I made it without issue. I love these things!!! Now if I can just get my newest set goin and see if I can get them just as awesome but at a smaller size for more scale trail running than extreme rock crawlin! Stay tuned guys!
Matt
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #35

Hey Matt, really not a big Ford guy, but that's a nice rig you got there. Not only are you good with lexan, but you're good with rubber too. The IronWorks is quite the line-up of tires. I'm looking forward to seeing how your other Courier turns out. I see you're running your shocks up front in droop. I am too on my K-30, but I can't get them to flex very well, they're just too stiff. What do you have on the inside of yours?
87K-30Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87K-30Silverado View Post
Hey Matt, really not a big Ford guy, but that's a nice rig you got there. Not only are you good with lexan, but you're good with rubber too. The IronWorks is quite the line-up of tires. I'm looking forward to seeing how your other Courier turns out. I see you're running your shocks up front in droop. I am too on my K-30, but I can't get them to flex very well, they're just too stiff. What do you have on the inside of yours?
X2 on the droop setup. Looks like its really working good.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Thanks for the compliments guys!!! Ive messed with droop for months now and FINALLY got it where I like it. Its a semi droop setup with a tall soft spring between the bottom of the shock cup and the piston on the shaft and a shorter soft spring between the piston and the cap. There is only a drop or two of oil to keep things lubed up and it works well. I used to run the same in the rear but no matter what I did with the springs it would not climb, it would just unload so I went with the stockers in the rear with a cut down softer spring. I love the setup, she climbs like a beast and is a ton of fun to wheel again with the newfound capability!

Workin on the 2 other Couriers as we speak, hope to finish up the 1.9 body soon. Itll look like a lightly modified Courier Sasquatch runnin a 35" tire. The other body will be for taller 1.9s like the 4.75" tire and will look similar but more modified for a 38-40" tire. The CompCourier body will then be used for the BIG tires . I figure, I got tires for every occassion, why not have a Courier for every tire
Matt
Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Figured I toss up an update. Still a work in progress, but the new paint is holdin up well on the test fender and the interior is shaping up! Figured Ide toss it together real quick and take it out for a bashing...see how it holds up.

The interior pieces are all from a custom interior that Norm at ThreeSix put together for my UglyYota. Unfortunately, in order to keep the Yota together I had to add alot of styrene support that got in the way. The interior could NOT go to waste so I hacked it up to fit in the Courier. LOVE it!!! Im nowhere near done, itll be amazing soon enough but I couldnt pass up the chance to let Frank do some driving lol

The interior and driver def. added weight to the rig and in all the wrong places, but I did my best to keep it all low to keep the COG decent. Its not as capable, but with some finess and decent driving it still climbs like and Ibex! In fact, it was actually a little more fun to wheel cause I had to pick and choose my lines alot more carefully and it went over everything I pointed it at which made me happy!!! I swapped the 4.75s out for the good ole 5.0s and hit the water.

Touchin up the finishing touches on the 1.9 Sasquatch and then Ill get back to work on the bigger tire 1.9 body. After that, interior will get finished up and I can move onto other things. Im lovin this rig...wish there was a mid 80s or late 70s Fseries of Bronco available but till then this little body will do just fine!
Matt
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #39
RCC Addict

hey man i like your truck .....by the way this guy knows how to put some foams together i run the iron works duel stage foams in my claws up front and boggers in the rear and it performs great ...thanks matt and we'll be scaling in the real near future
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Hey man!!! You def. need to hurry up and get back on the trail, I need to crawl soon!!!
Matt