Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Comp Courier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Comp Courier

With all the lexan rigs runnin around and lookin/performing better than ever around my area, figured ide throw one together while the Ugly Yota got some body work done. Bein a Ford guy thru and thru I knew it was time to get back where I belonged. I built a Bronco for Kathleen, loved the body so much I thought bout grabbin one for myself, even tossed around the idea of another F100 like the one I hacked all to pieces, but I finally stumbled across some 1:1 inspiration that I couldnt pass up...Ford Courier 4x4 swap called the Sasquatch Seein that the Courier has been discontinued for some time now, it took me a bit to track one down but I eventually came up with not one, but two! One was new and the guy threw in a beater body as well. Figured ide practice all my cutting etc on the beater and not mess up the nice one.

Started out cuttin the wheel wells out, trimmed out the bed and cab back to match the 1:1.

I then cut the bed free, shortened it up to allow better clearence and doved it. The nice Courier wont be doved but I may shorten it up a bit.

Trip to the hardware store and I found a color that decently matched a 1:1 color.

Base color will make a nice rust look when scratched, but even after scuffin up the outside and cleanin it really well the paint didnt lay down very well...but a little sanding and an entire can later and it looks good enough.

Detailed the body a bit, covered the holes with sponsor decals and some diamond plate and cut the window out. I must say that Im a little surprised by how it turned out! I quickly threw together a front bumper to protect the servo, but extensive cage work is in the future for the nice body. I even threw in the tailgate from the ole F100 just to pay homage lol.

Im bringin this truck out to the GTG in Bama tomorrow and hope to beat the fire out of it. With my new found brazing skills, better braze and torch I should be ready to start on the other Courier soon...really hope it turns out how I want!!!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Inner fenders I threw together real quick before a GTG, not too bad for my first set and just eye ballin...really brings together the front end of the truck, not seein all the wires and such.

Thats prolly it for tonight...Ive got more planned, look for pics from tomorrows GTG for more!!!
Matt
Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Here are some shots from her first GTG in Alabama. Was cold and the memory foams froze up but she crawled better than ever despite it!

Up and over...

Matt
Old 12-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Found an amazing new spot closer to home and went out for some more cold weather testing to rid the frozen foam issue. Ive got some NOVA foams on the way, but I didnt get em in time to try out this weekend. Went back to 2 sets of stock height 1.9 Irons, one with air and no foams, and the other with non memory foam. BOTH worked amazingly well, but the non memory foam tires took the day. They are reduced 2.2 Irons and are the same height as a regular 1.9 Iron.
Air, Irons cut to look like swampers

Reduced and skinnied 2.2s with non memory foams

Matt

Last edited by 66sprint6; 12-13-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

awesome job on the body! i wish i could do stuff like that
your rig looks sweet man
ny98banshee482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I appreciate it and its nothin special really, just get a razor, some scissors, some bandaides lol some Shoe Goo and have fun cuttin it and gluin it back together! Its all bout experimenting and makin it the way you want it...and I got lucky with this one and love the way it came out!!!
Matt
Old 12-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default Too Cool...

Makes me want to cut mine, do you have a close up pic of your tires??
willipmartinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

That body came out great compared to what it looked like when you bought the thing
th67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Click on the link in my sig for the Ugly Yota and itll have some pics of all the different Irons I got. I enjoy makin em, any which way I can, tryin to get more to work on this winter.

The beater body turned out awesome...almost dont wanna fool with the other body now but I will anyways lol
Matt
Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Man, that really looks good!!! Nice find on the body,never seen that one before
Way to represent for the Ford clan

What's your wheelbase? & what did you use to make the inner fenders?

Im planning & slowly collecting parts for a scale/TTC build....this scale stuff is all new to me lol. So far I've got the 70ford proline body & a set of 2.2 tsl's...not much but its a start
Still wish someone made a dentside body
fordwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Yeah man, its a cool little body that I actually never cared for until I saw some inspiration I couldnt pass up. I will build the second body to match that inspiration but right now this sucker had got me hooked! I had a 70 body too and it was awesome but small and I made some mistakes cutting the rear wheel wells out and eventually just destroyed it lol. I still have the pieces, the tailgate is actually used on the Comp Courier, hence why its green lol. I made the inner fenders out of a CD tub cut in half. Take that 70 body and cut it similar to this so that you can set it as low as you can while still clearing the tires. Itll be mean, low and crawl like a monster!
Matt
Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I still have alot a parts to collect, gonna be slow process but I got some pro help enlisted

Thanks for the tips
fordwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

THAT"S BAD @$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!! I had one of these bodies on a T-maxx before.
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Im still thinkin bout pickin up a couple more beaters to build another comp style body out of so if anyone has one layin around, lemme know!!!
Matt
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #15

Nice work!

Mine's 1:1, I have an RC body that a friend gave me. Was going to build a clone, but I've never built an RC car before.

EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlKann View Post
Nice work!

Mine's 1:1, I have an RC body that a friend gave me. Was going to build a clone, but I've never built an RC car before.

Your truck IS my inspiration Im still debating on building the nice body to match your 1:1 but dang...I dont think Im good enough to tell the truth! I love that truck by the way!
Matt
Old 12-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #17

I'm honored that I inspired it.

I actually bought that exact same can of spray paint hoping it would match. Wasn't quite close enough so I ended up having some real automotive paint color matched and put in rattle cans so I could do touch ups on the real truck. I wonder if it'd work on the RC body.
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlKann View Post
I'm honored that I inspired it.

I actually bought that exact same can of spray paint hoping it would match. Wasn't quite close enough so I ended up having some real automotive paint color matched and put in rattle cans so I could do touch ups on the real truck. I wonder if it'd work on the RC body.
With some work yes it will...think maybe I could con some off of ya for the Scale build maybe??? I think Im gonna man up and just get goin on bending the cage and figuring out how the heck to mount it all and make it all look right. Dont wanna get into it and it turn out lookin like garbage
Matt
Old 12-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Did you bother cleaning the old paint off the body before you resprayed it?
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Guy View Post
Did you bother cleaning the old paint off the body before you resprayed it?
NOPE...cause im LAZY

Nah, actually I didnt because it was painted inside and I like scratches so I paint on the outside and the color it was painted actually works very well as a rusty metal color so when it flakes scratches of chips, it looks like rust Painting lexan is a pain as it is, doin it with paint not meant for Lexan is even worse. Ive had success in the past, but this body was old and wore out and took alot of prep to get the paint happy...still flakes off in spots worse than my other body done like this, but its just a Comp style beater so Im not worried. The nice body will be painted on the outside as well, but itll be alot better done and better prepped.
Matt