Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Gavin's Class 2 SORRCA Toyota Truggy reborn - the 3rd & 4th time now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gavin's Class 2 SORRCA Toyota Truggy reborn - the 3rd & 4th time now

Photos
I will be using the transmission/skid that is in the pictrues along with the hand brothers servo mount.

Gavin Ayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gavin's Class 2 SORRCA Toyota Truggy reborn - the 3rd & 4th time now

The cab has been through alot an has some cracks. The priority on this build is to protect the cab and still be able to drive on the hard trails. This Toyota is being built to compete in the Activated 4.50 class.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #63
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Sweet! This is going to be good. This truck turned out awesome Gavin. I'm excited to see you sharing it with the forum too. I hope others can truly grasp the history of this little crawler. How long it has been around. How many talented builders have worked on it over the years. To now, you finally building it for yourself. Well done Gavin. Hard work pays off
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Sweet! This is going to be good. This truck turned out awesome Gavin. I'm excited to see you sharing it with the forum too. I hope others can truly grasp the history of this little crawler. How long it has been around. How many talented builders have worked on it over the years. To now, you finally building it for yourself. Well done Gavin. Hard work pays off
Thanks Dad
Old 12-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Time to start the tube.
The cage for the Toyota will be mostly 3/16 DOM with some 1/8 rod and all TIG welded. To start the tube I needed to mount the cab to the frame. I made a tube frame brace and then made a square tube with tabs on each corner to mount the cab. The cab has two bolts that go through the cab in front of the windshield that hold the interior and attaches to the frame. The front two tabs just bolt into the cab plastic. The shock tabs are also right under the body next to the cab tabs.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Cab mounted.

Next was to make some sliders that will protect the cab.

The rear axle and shocks with sliders.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Sliders welded to the frame.

I TIG welded the VP AR44 ring gear to the VP spool.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Alright I forgot to take some pictures so here is what I did.
I mounted the front axle, Lower links VP 100mm titanium links, Upper link VP 95mm titanium link. The steering and panhard bar are mounted along with the Front shocks. I then started my exo-cage, I started with a one piece B pillar and then made the roof bars and continued on, everything is tack welded.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

More

Old 12-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

More work done.
I cut the rear frame off and mounted the rear axle welding the upper link mounts to the boatsides. I also welded the rear frame brace with two tabs to mount the cab. I started on the front tabs for the exo-cage.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

G...... You are on a role my brother.... I love when old used rigs get rebuilt. Your internal bracing/cab mount is killer! I might send you a pile of spools and gears. You have the spool welding mastered.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
G...... You are on a role my brother.... I love when old used rigs get rebuilt. Your internal bracing/cab mount is killer! I might send you a pile of spools and gears. You have the spool welding mastered.
Thanks man, the cab mount had to be strong for my driving. Have you broken any AR44 ring gear/locker bolts?
Old 12-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Alright more work done.
I started on the rear tube frame with a spare tire mount and a tube with tabs for the toolbox the toolbox will hold a 1600MAH 4s lipo. I made the spare tire tube out of 3/16 tube with a bolt threaded through and spot welded. I braced the back with 1/8 rod 1. to keep the weight low at the back 2. to add some scale detail. The tabs at the back of the frame will be for the exo-cage mount.

Front two tabs for exo-cage mount.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Better picture of the cab mounts and exo mounts.

The rig I build before this was Forty-One and I tried high ground clearance for ledges and rock crawling for this build im doing the apposite and trying to get uptravel and low CG for a fast do it all (Ultra4) Toyota.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

I am naming this Toyota "Black Cherry" so I don't have to refer to this truck as Red Toyota or Toyota anymore.
I finished the rear tube frame.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

I welded some panel nuts and made a 1/16 delrin electronics tray.

Full Bump

Panhard bar has two slight bends to clear the Currie F9 Axle

Full Droop

Old 12-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

In order to get as much up travel as I could I put the two bends in the panhard bar this gave me the needed pumpkin clearance but the rod end at the frameside hit the frame so I notched the frame for clearance and now everything clears.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

I made the rear shock mount in the exo-cage. The exo-cage is bolted to the frame with two tabs in the front and two in the rear.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

I couldn't resist putting The Black Cherry together and see how it drives and what it needs.
Of course I Took Pictures...

Old 12-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

More...

Tags
#ayalametalworks, #crawlerinnovations, activated outlaw, double deuce, lil nova