Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Gavin's Class 2 SORRCA Toyota Truggy reborn - the 3rd & 4th time now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gavin's Class 2 SORRCA Toyota Truggy reborn - the 3rd & 4th time now

Great looking Lux!
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gavin's Class 2 SORRCA Toyota Truggy reborn - the 3rd & 4th time now

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive pd View Post
Great looking Lux!
Thank you
Gavin Ayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #83
Quarry Creeper

The Black Cherry was awesome to drive, it has a really low belly and it shows on the rocks. The low CG drives really stable through rough bumps and uphill/downhill climbs. Some of the things it needed was firmer springs front and softer springs in the rear I also want to add a sway bar for more stability on the rocks but it SNOWED in East Texas so of course I took the Black Cherry for a drive in the snow. I changed the Tires to Pitbull Rock Beasts XOR for some better snow traction and recorded a video.

After that snow fun I took apart Black Cherry and cleaned it. I changed the front springs to a firmer rate and changed the rear springs to a softer rate.

While Black Cherry was apart I Welded in a rear sway bar and made a thin steel plate to cover the V in the exo-cage. I installed the new springs and put the Rock Beast back on and added some stickers.

The sway bar links are hot racing and the sway bar I made with some rod.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #84
Quarry Creeper

I drove Black Cherry and the spring rates felt great and the sway bar helped rock crawling and going fast but the hot racing sway bar links were to short so I made my own sway bar links out of some steel square bar.

The steel sway bars I made Are Amazing better than any other sway bar I have tried. The steel bars have no give and truly keep the truck planted! I have driven a few battery packs on Black Cherry and the Cage needs more bracing so I welded 1/8 rod gussets. I also welded a plate to cover the front servo/frame.

Pics

Old 12-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #85
Quarry Creeper

More

I changed the motor from the Tekin Pro4HD 2600KV to a Tekin ROC412 2400KV with an 11 tooth pinion this really helped Black Cherry to rock crawl better. I will take some pictures of the sway bar and the axle mount and post them. The Black Cherry Weighs 7 pounds 13 ounces RTR.

Some of the things that are on my to build list for Black Cherry are:
Front fenders
Aluminum sliders
Lights
More Tube
Paint

Old 12-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Ayala View Post

Thanks man, the cab mount had to be strong for my driving. Have you broken any AR44 ring gear/locker bolts?
I have yet to shear one or have one back out... I use 12.9 hardware and I clean the spool threads, wipe off the ring gear, and hardware with rubbing alcohol prior to assembly. I then give the blue permatex time to set up before the green sticky grease is applied. I can only guess folks are having issues with spool hardware due to improper assembly... I just like the idea of your solution. The spools for the 10.2 are cheap enough to toss when the ring gear has served its life sentence...
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elirgraves13 View Post
such a beautiful build.

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
I have yet to shear one or have one back out... I use 12.9 hardware and I clean the spool threads, wipe off the ring gear, and hardware with rubbing alcohol prior to assembly. I then give the blue permatex time to set up before the green sticky grease is applied. I can only guess folks are having issues with spool hardware due to improper assembly... I just like the idea of your solution. The spools for the 10.2 are cheap enough to toss when the ring gear has served its life sentence...

Nice, I have broken 5 AR44 Locker/ring gear bolts and can say improper assembly was not the fault for the bolts breaking but rather good traction, torque, weight, and drive time destroys these three bolt lockers.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Ayala View Post

Thank You

Nice, I have broken 5 AR44 Locker/ring gear bolts and can say improper assembly was not the fault for the bolts breaking but rather good traction, torque, weight, and drive time destroys these three bolt lockers.

Well Gavin, if you beat on anything long enough you will have failure.. I have seen many complain of premature hardware breakage and this is why I use 12.9 for the super tiny hardware... I use your pops foams in every tire I run and only run sticky rubber.... I gear down so I am certain I know of this traction thing your talking about...
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
Well Gavin, if you beat on anything long enough you will have failure.. I have seen many complain of premature hardware breakage and this is why I use 12.9 for the super tiny hardware... I use your pops foams in every tire I run and only run sticky rubber.... I gear down so I am certain I know of this traction thing your talking about...

That is true.
Thanks for the foam support and build thread support.
-Gavin

Old 01-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Footage of "Black Cherry" on the rocks!

Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #91
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

This video features three C.I. vehicles, Black Cherry, the Dakar rig, and Forty One.

The 1.9 build named "Black Cherry", built by Gavin of Ayala Metal Works, build thread link;
Gavin's Class 2 SORRCA Toyota Truggy reborn - the 3rd & 4th time now

The 2.2 build named "the Dakar rig", contributing builder build thread link;
Szczerba's Second CXT Build

The 1.9 build named "Forty One", built by Gavin of Ayala Metal Works, build thread link;
"Forty One" by Ayala Metal Works for Crawler Innovations; 1.9 Ultra4

Filmed on location @ LeGrande House on 11.03.2018;
City of Tyler - Parks and Recreation > Convention & Tourism Facilities > Goodman Museum

W/T/F on Black Cherry; 1.9 Vanquish Products Beadlocks, 1.9 Pitbull Tires Rock Beast (standard height), Lil Nova 4.50" Comp Cut Inner / Medium Outer dual stage foams in front CWR-2025, Lil Nova 4.50" Comp Cut Inner / Firm Outer dual stage foams in rear CWR-2026.

W/T/F on the Dakar rig; 2.2 Dude Crawler Works custom Beadlocks, 2.2 RC4WD MIL-SPEC ZXL tires, Deuces Wild Single Stage Standard foams in front CWR-3003, Deuces Wild Heavy Weight Single Stage Standard foams in rear CWR-3303

W/T/F on Forty One; 1.9 Vanquish Products Beadlocks, 1.9 Pitbull Tires Rock Beast (standard height), Lil Nova 4.50" Comp Cut Inner / Medium Outer dual stage foams in front CWR-2025, Lil Nova 4.50" Comp Cut Inner / Firm Outer dual stage foams in rear CWR-2026.

#crawlerinnovations #ayalametalworks #activatedoutlaw
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #92
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Session 2 of Black Cherry and the Dakar rig. The Dakar rig shows off its top speed made possible by the two speed RC4WD transmission at the 1:20 mark. The Dakar rig is using a 4S, 2200mah, Lipo battery, with a Tekin ROC412 motor with a Castle Creation ESC.

The 1.9 build named "Black Cherry", built by Gavin of Ayala Metal Works, build thread link;
Gavin's Class 2 SORRCA Toyota Truggy reborn - the 3rd & 4th time now

The 2.2 build named "the Dakar rig", contributing builder build thread link;
Szczerba's Second CXT Build

Filmed on location @ LeGrande House on 11.03.2018;
City of Tyler - Parks and Recreation > Convention & Tourism Facilities > Goodman Museum

W/T/F on Black Cherry; 1.9 Vanquish Products Beadlocks, 1.9 Pitbull Tires Rock Beast (standard height), Lil Nova 4.50" Comp Cut Inner / Medium Outer dual stage foams in front CWR-2025, Lil Nova 4.50" Comp Cut Inner / Firm Outer dual stage foams in rear CWR-2026.

W/T/F on the Dakar rig; 2.2 Dude Crawler Works custom Beadlocks, 2.2 RC4WD MIL-SPEC ZXL tires, Deuces Wild Single Stage Standard foams in front CWR-3003, Deuces Wild Heavy Weight Single Stage Standard foams in rear CWR-3303

Crawler Innovations Web Store;
RC Crawler Foams, Rock Crawler Foams, Tires and More by Crawler Innovations

RCCrawler Forum;
Vendors - Crawler Innovations at RCCrawler.com

Video Credits;
Black Cherry driven by Gavin Ayala
the Dakar rig by Edmundo Ayala
edited by Gavin Ayala
filmed by Edmundo & Gavin Ayala

Gavin's Channel;
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7o...w84G931mmCGgaA

#crawlerinnovations #ayalametalworks #activatedoutlaw

Old 01-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #93
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Gavin and I (Edmundo Ayala) will be driving and filming RC cars on February 2nd at these locations. We will have a practice course or two set up for Activated Outlaw. Consider this your formal invite to stop by, drive your RC car and meet other hobbyists. This is not a competition or full blown event. This a get together with focus on driving and visiting. I hope to see you there and possibly get your RC car on camera.

#crawlerinnovations #ayalametalworks #activatedoutlaw #doubledeucefoams #deuceswildwfoams #lilnovafoams #compcrawler #scalecrawler #rccrawler
Old 08-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Alright I let this build thread get quiet.

Time to revise, revive, and reinvigorate Black Cherry!
What has happened the past 7 months?
Black Cherry in true Toyota fashion has been reliable, ready to run at any time, requires minimal maintenance, and is fun to drive.
During July I drove Black Cherry at Barnwell OHV on 3 different trails for 3 4s batteries, 4 hours of trail time, it was warm Texas weather and the motor did not get warm.
I have been impressed with the reliability of this build and I have plans to finish Black Cherry which includes:

Add sliders
Add front fender wells to keep debris out
Add Motor fan for max cooling
Lights
More tube
Paint chassis

Old 08-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Pics

Old 08-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

I stripped the bolt in the tab, you can see in Picture.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

1.5 XOR Pitbull tires stretched on a 1.9 VP wheel, with C.I Foams.

I have worn out the Sway bar that I made and have installed a VP Currie Swaybar which has been holding up great! I want to film the progress of finishing Black Cherry But if not I will keep the thread updated.
My Videos I post to Youtube/ AyalaMetalWorks

Tags
#ayalametalworks, #crawlerinnovations, activated outlaw, double deuce, lil nova