Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: KROGOTH's F-150 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default KROGOTH's F-150 build

Well, this may be a larger scale body but I took it to my local RC shop and 1.9 tires looked like they fitted in the wheel wells very nicely.

Currently my intent is to get it to a roller status. It wont be anything crazy at first, just want to keep it looking like a daily driver style vehicle and I will see where I go from there.

So right now, Im planning on Axial axles cause I have them on hand and they fit under the body very nicely, maybe an Axial transmission because again, unless a local friend buys it, its on hand. Here comes the hard part though. I need to make my own framerails out of square stock or get a set of SCX-10 framerails and extend them. Both ways are something I will have to buy the tools to do and learn the skills as I try to make both. Not anything Ive done before.

Anyways, heres a few pics of what I got so far. Also, theres a bend in the passenger side A-pillar on the body, and some cracks behind that. Ill show the damage in the pics as well. Anyone know how I can straighten that out in a plastic hardbody?

New to scalers and to fabbing everything in general. Gonna need to spend alot of time researching stuff.

RC4WD shocks Im determined to find a use for and the axles.

Views of the body. Looks great mostly.

And here starts the bad. A bend in the A-pillar, cracked B-pillar and a crack along the start of the bed. Also the area near the rear cab light is broke. Guess I may be learning to use styrene...

Heres the fitting of the axles. Looks perfect.
KROGOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Didnt feel like sleeping just yet. Went and took the wheels off my HPI MTDT which are 1.9ish. Threw them on the axles and tried to get a pic of what it will look like on wheels. Stand didnt turn out right because the body wont balance on what I had it sitting on and the wheels are a bit smaller than the ones Im eyeing at the hobby store. That being said, to me at least these particular wheels look very stock size.

What ya think?

This inspires me to actually work on this but...its probably gonna move pretty slowly.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #3

What is the wheelbase of the body, and how wide?
95Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

My measurements are a lil rough but it looks like 10" for body width and the wheelbase will be around 16-17".
Old 07-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Anyone have any advice on how to go about repairing those cracks in the hard plastic? Im stumped and apparently my Google-Fu is weak. I really feel like thats the issue I should tackle first seeing as I dont have the tools currently to work out custom framerails at the moment.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Depending on the severity of the crack take a small drill bit and stopdrill the crack at each end. Then get some model cement and glue the actual crack itself. Then make some styrene powder and mix with styrene glue to make a paste and fill the holes you drilled and sand smooth if the crack is not to bad jus use the model cement and sand smooth. Be sure to spread the crack open when aplying the cement to ensure a good bond. Then if ur worried about future cracking you can back the cracks with a piece of styrene.
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Ive decided to ignore the body damage for the moment. Bought some 1/2" square steel today. Getting some more hobby specific and tools in general and trying to get a work area set up. No progress made yet but I have the material for the frame rails and hopefully I can make progress in that area soon. Due to the body damage on the back of the cab and bed area Im considering chopping the bed off entirely and making a truggy, or just giving the truck a tube bed/flat bed. Havent committed though and probably wont until much later. Sorry this is going so slow, if anyone is keeping an eye on this one.