Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #221
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

good to see it actually up and running. there have been a few hydraulic steering builds on here but this is the first one i've seen get this far. most die off while they are still working out the steering. keep up the good work
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #222
Rock Crawler

Default Re: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Hopper View Post
I know you've got something going on with the hydraulics but will we get to check the rest of the system out soon?
Hopefully soon - not up to me at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierwantstocrawl View Post
just gotta say, those are some of the best pics I've ever seen..... oh yeah , nice truck too.
thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprasol View Post
awesome...just awesome...needs a bit more wheelspeed though
I dont do wheel speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddawg View Post
good to see it actually up and running. there have been a few hydraulic steering builds on here but this is the first one i've seen get this far. most die off while they are still working out the steering. keep up the good work
Yes I owe a lot to the previous hydro attempts - not only here but other forums also. My design is a hybrid of those ideas. So far so good but only time will tell - system longevity is the ultimate goal.

With that in mind I manage to get out and put another lipo through the rig today. The hydro system is still performing well w/no leaks. Though I do notice a thin coat of oil on the shaft from time to time - the oil level has not dropped. A short vid from today:

Amongst a myriad of other things Im stil waiting on new wheels/tires and ESC but driving around with the current setup is essential in figuring out what works and what doesnt in the geometry and balance department. Discoveries made at this stage will help determine materials/weight that I can afford to throw on this rig to "finish" it
prifral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #223
I wanna be Dave

Awesome videos, it's nice to see this thing out there in the wild. The Hydro looks great-congrats on the success there. One question, even without the finishing touches, I would have expected to see a lot more body roll with all that tube up high. Is there a trick as far as your shock setups or is it just an optical illusion as to the amount of "weight"? It really looks like the chassis doesn't know the cab is riding way up high. More great work will surely follow...we'll be here!

Last edited by Bulldog; 02-18-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #224

awesome idea, that thing is def not something u see everyday. good job
F350white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #225
I wanna be Dave

Cool build
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #226
Jeep whore

very nice! and very squeaky
scale4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #227
Pebble Pounder

what are you using to pump the fluid cause it soundsl ike a servo
Scx10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #228
Quarry Creeper

Very nice, well balanced too!!!
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #229
Looking for new Trails

AWESOME built ... that thing move's so easy and smooth...
yoda@4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #230
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Awesome videos, it's nice to see this thing out there in the wild. The Hydro looks great-congrats on the success there. One question, even without the finishing touches, I would have expected to see a lot more body roll with all that tube up high. Is there a trick as far as your shock setups or is it just an optical illusion as to the amount of "weight"? It really looks like the chassis doesn't know the cab is riding way up high. More great work will surely follow...we'll be here!
I was surprised myself - up until the test drive I was bracing myself thinking this rig would be super top heavy. I can only attribute the lack of body toll to the rig looking heaver than it actually is. Ive been careful to make each part as light as possible from the beginning - hopefully I can stay on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350white View Post
awesome idea, that thing is def not something u see everyday. good job
Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
Cool build
Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale4x4 View Post
very nice! and very squeaky
Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scx10guy View Post
what are you using to pump the fluid cause it soundsl ike a servo
Yes servo, refer to post #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda@4x4 View Post
AWESOME built ... that thing move's so easy and smooth...
Thx!

Considered welded steel or aluminum for the bed frame but the steel is too heavy and both are too rigid. A rigid bed frame would not take impacts well, the thin cross section would bend too easily. This is very important in my consideration because I anticipate many roll overs with this rig After brainstorming a bit an old 1/4inch thick lexan racing windshield caught my eye. This would be ideal because it retains excellent memory and most importantly it can take high impacts. So I chopped the windshield up and squared it off. The idea is to use the lexan for the frame and cut out the blacked out areas between the rails as well as machine certain areas to reduce weight then inlay an aluminum panel over the entire bed.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #231
Rock Crawler

Lexan bed roughed out. Gotta switch gears and address the mounting system for the bed. The front will be attached to the bed via a truss system. The rear will be permanently bolted to the rear bumper and the rear bumper will pivot on the ladder frame. The idea is so that the bed pivots back to allow easy access to the battery and electronics etc. - hence the 3.6oz bar of 7075 sitting on the frame in this pic.

Got lots of machining ahead of me. Hope to remove at least 2/3rd of the bar weight when bumper is done. I am deviating from movie car by adding this bumper as well as shortening the ladder frame - all in hopes for better functionality.
Some ideas.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #232
Rock Crawler

the Setra scale I used to weigh my bar stock was faulty - ofcourse I didnt find it out until machining was underway. So initial weight was way off. At this stage it comes in at 290 grams. Lots more machining to do - should shed a bunch of weight once material is hogged out from the back.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #233
Jeep whore

awesome machining skills!
scale4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #234

this build is awesome!!! NICE WORK! i'm on the edge of my seat!
TINNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #235
Pebble Pounder

Its a long build but I love it.
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #236
Rock Crawler

down to 160 grams

Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #237
Rock Crawler

Rear bumper turned out great!
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #238
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
Rear bumper turned out great!
Thanks!

Got it mounted tonight.

Also took about 1.75inch off the length of the frame at the rear to improve the departure angle.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #239
Rock Crawler

Pretty high up for a trailer hitch haha Are those angle brackets holding the rear bumper going to turn into a pivoting mechanism like you mentioned earlier? Or maybe just remove a pair of those screws to pivot?
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #240
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
Pretty high up for a trailer hitch haha Are those angle brackets holding the rear bumper going to turn into a pivoting mechanism like you mentioned earlier? Or maybe just remove a pair of those screws to pivot?
Haha yah would need a goosneck to actually tow anything. The bumper is no longer going to pivot with the bed. Since shortening the frame I no longer have room for that mechanism. So only the bed will pivot now.

wheels/tires:

These are GCM Racing Detroit Baja 1.9 Beadlocks w/the disc brake hex. My favorite because of how clean it looks and craftsmanship is superb

These are CAC ONE9 12 Hole 1.9 Beadlock. Awesome wheels as well but a bit too busy for this build. I may anodize the rings and use black hardware to make them more subtle.

Tire wise: the Baja Claws seem to be the right diameter but the Rock Beast will definitely be the go to for performance.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/332988-mongo-built-specifically-steal-exotic-cars-off-speeding-train.html
Posted By For Type Date
TIMBERJACK 480B DEBUSQUEUR This thread Refback 03-01-2013 05:51 AM
"Mongo" - page 3 This thread Refback 03-01-2013 03:38 AM
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-17-2013 08:33 AM