Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Tranny plate roughed cut and fitted - its made of white delrin, for now

Havent decided on which tranny to go with yet: SCX10 or Wraith. If turning radius become a problem definitely will try the Wraith dig... though I have a spare VP dig around here somewhere as well.
SCX10 tranny

Wraith tranny

Chassis overall shot.

The frame rails will be milled out in various areas to reduce weight but that cant happen until placement of everything else is figured out.

Last edited by prifral; 12-11-2011 at 10:22 PM.
prifral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

looks like it is coming along nicely! i can't wait to see the end result!
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #103

Wow. Just Wow. What an awesome job you have done so far. Just one thing, have you thought about rounding the corners on the chassis mounts. It wont shave much weight but it may prevent anything from hanging up on the rig in tight spaces and I think it will look better too. Keep up the amazing job.
Terra Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #104
Rock Crawler

Default Re: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Rover View Post
Wow. Just Wow. What an awesome job you have done so far. Just one thing, have you thought about rounding the corners on the chassis mounts. It wont shave much weight but it may prevent anything from hanging up on the rig in tight spaces and I think it will look better too. Keep up the amazing job.
Good eye! You're right, as is it will definitely hang up specially with the long wheel base/terrible break over clearance. Original intentions were to use some delrin below the assembly in hopes of making the belly of the rig smoother. That was until I reconsidered the whole tranny mounting height cuz it was just sitting way too high. So began a new idea...

I machined an aluminum tranny cradle that bridges the two side plates and more importantly dropped the tranny an additional 1 inch. The hardware will eventually be countersunk and a delrin skid plate added.

Tranny is not bolted down yet but as you can see the spur will be well bellow the bed

Old 12-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #105
RCC Addict

Default Re: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

When it's fisished you need to send it my way so it can be tested Really looking good man what do you think that the final tire will be?
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #106
Looking for new Trails

Looking good, coming along very nice...
yoda@4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #107
Rock Crawler

thanks guys

inched along a bit more.

tranny mounted, screws countersunk

the beginning of the belly. these are two Delrin rails. it was important that these not be an integral part of the structure so they can be sacrificial material and easily replaceable should they wear out over time. eventually their shapes will be improved ie corners beveled so they can easily slide off obstacles

the space between the Delrin rails will be bridged by a carbon fiber plate. if electrical interference becomes a problem I may default back to a Delrin plate. I just like carbon fiber as it slides better than Delrin, especially on rocks.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #108
RCC Addict

Really like the carbon fiber idea you'll have to let us know how it works out.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #109
Dam
Pebble Pounder

This looks well cool....
great attention to detail, the angles, all look perfect..... nice one
Dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Awesome replaceable delrin slider idea! Keep it coming
Merry Christmas!
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Got a skid plate idea Im content w/for now ...
2 delrin sides that capture a carbon fiber plate in the middle

the carbon fiber plate will have to be notched for the drive shaft clearance later on - but first I have to extend the outputs of the gearbox so that the drive shaft isn't sticking out in the open/unprotected by the lower links.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Wow, you do AMAZING work. I love building stuff like that, I just don't have the patience for the perfection you obviously strive for. Is all your mill work on a manual mill or CNC? Keep it up! Tim.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #113
RCC Addict

Looks like this thing is going to be fun! Nice machine work
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

I've been watching and not commenting...but I owe you one! The precision of this build is astounding. It's a great build to watch. I love it! Keep wowing us!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #115
Rock Stacker

very interesting, awesome precision.
CIELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:04 AM   #116
Rock Crawler

This is coming along nicely. I'd like to see your tube bender if you don't mind. Are you going to develope it to sell? I'd definitely be a buyer for one. Great job on the build. Can't wait to see it rolling and stealing cars.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #117
Rock Stacker

This is sweet. You should find out who made the 1:1 and show them it.
Jordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Nice work!

I need to come up with something to make more consistent and centered joints. The bench grinder does a fair job as long as I hold it straight.
i use a 3/16' chainsaw file to fine tune my joints before brazin after the bench grinder rough shapes the tube .......bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Wow, you do AMAZING work. I love building stuff like that, I just don't have the patience for the perfection you obviously strive for. Is all your mill work on a manual mill or CNC? Keep it up! Tim.
Yeah... machining...I'm going about it the hard/tedious way - ALL MANUAL Kind of a complicated reason, but basically I'm a product designer by profession where I draw/design on paper or computer 9-5 so when it comes to my hobby the last thing I want to do is be in front of a computer or drawing... so no CNC or even power feed! Anyways most of my ideas are improvised in my mind so manual is faster in that respect - problem solving on the fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmicromonster View Post
This is coming along nicely. I'd like to see your tube bender if you don't mind. Are you going to develope it to sell? I'd definitely be a buyer for one. Great job on the build. Can't wait to see it rolling and stealing cars.
I would like to develop it to sell but I have no time as of right now. For that reason Im choosing keeping it under wraps...for now

Roughed out the end caps of the frame.

I ended up machining a drill jig in order to drill the four holes through the end caps into the ladder frame longitudinally. Basically the problem was that I simply could not stand the ladder frame up on its end to drill those holes on my bench top drill press - not tall enough, even if I could it would not be very precise. Problem solved, I tapped the side rails for 2.5mm bolts. This should keep the ends close to perfectly square. I may add bolts through the side later on to pinch the rails but for now the pieces fit snug enough.

An overall progress shot to date:

Next up is to locate the cab onto the frame and create the mounts for that. Then locate the gearbox/upper link mount assembly onto the frame. Once that is done I can cut the frame to length at the rear then its onto links/suspension. Yipes! Long way to go!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

that looks amazing. your work is impressive! i hope once i have finished school for machining that i can do some projects like this!
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/332988-mongo-built-specifically-steal-exotic-cars-off-speeding-train.html
Posted By For Type Date
TIMBERJACK 480B DEBUSQUEUR This thread Refback 03-01-2013 05:51 AM
"Mongo" - page 3 This thread Refback 03-01-2013 03:38 AM
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-17-2013 08:33 AM