Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Land Rover D90 Build thread (Gonna be alot of pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Talking Land Rover D90 Build thread (Gonna be alot of pics)

Gonna be building a hard plastic Land Rover Defender. All ready ordered the body. Im starting with an axial scx10 rtr (follow my link below to follow previous threads.

this is going to be a slow process so in no way am I rushing. Im hoping for a lot of help and input by everyone willing to do so. I have literally rdered the body yesterday and have very few things ready for this build, as the money comes in so will the parts and such for the build. So hang on tight because this will be a long and very tedious road (with lots of mud, rock, and water hopefully ). Im excited to build this beast, ive been wanting one since i started scale crawling.

As of right now I have no further info on this build other then Im starting it. Im gonna see how Christmas turns out and from there I will go. Only thing in the mean time...I need a color scheme and/ or theme. Im thinkin camel trophy (low budget, not exact) or just a really nice scale beast of a defender.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas or anything. Feel free to put in any input!
Colorofkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like a great plan, but a build thread needs pictures. Get your build started and get some progress done, then start up another thread...You won't get much love for an "I'm gonna" build. We all get excited...but there's way too much info and entertainment on the boards to jump on a build that hasn't started yet. Get your parts, get a start and post up when you get down the trail a bit. Good luck!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Sounds like a fun project to do make sure you keep it updated
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Sounds like a great plan, but a build thread needs pictures. Get your build started and get some progress done, then start up another thread...You won't get much love for an "I'm gonna" build. We all get excited...but there's way too much info and entertainment on the boards to jump on a build that hasn't started yet. Get your parts, get a start and post up when you get down the trail a bit. Good luck!
The bodies gonna be in really soon an i already have the scx10 so the second it gets here it will commence.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxmorepower View Post
Sounds like a fun project to do make sure you keep it updated
will do
Old 11-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

THIS IS THE ONE I HAVE BUILT BUT HAVE DONT TWEAKING SINCE.

4X4 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Tamiya Land Rover Defender D90 1.9" Off-Road Crawler Tires with Inserts Set | eBay

Just ordered these scale tires. (on accident kinda) o well, nice to have spares right haha?? lookin at a few rc4wd tires as well though.

Just received my new steering link in the mail the other day as well. Gotta get some pics up of what Im starting with. just need some time off.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Fellow defender...ies...got a few questions for ya.

Whats the wheel base on this thing?

How well does it fit the axial chassis?

Im gonna try to fit the bumpers from rc4wd along with a majority of the accessories from there site. Any advice on those parts? some reviews or things to avoid?
If anyone had any of those pieces can you post me a pic or to so i can see the fit?

Also i need a theme before I start buying wheels and paint and other accessories. Anybody have any ideas. I want to do either a camel trophy (long time dream) a gun metal, basic bad ass off road scale beast (with a white top) or something with the white top. If you have an idea or a 1:1 that would be a pretty sick color combo or something don't be afraid to post it. or should I do a defender version of my 1: 10 lr3 theme?

ex.

or maybe I could just paint it like this....
Old 11-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorofkris View Post
Fellow defender...ies...got a few questions for ya.

Whats the wheel base on this thing?

How well does it fit the axial chassis?

Im gonna try to fit the bumpers from rc4wd along with a majority of the accessories from there site. Any advice on those parts? some reviews or things to avoid?
If anyone had any of those pieces can you post me a pic or to so i can see the fit?
Maybe I can help out some. I have a D90 build going but I'm using RC4WD's Gelande chassis. It also has their front bumper, side steps, and roof rack. I'm not sure how these all might fit on the Axial chassis, but I know it's been done at least with the body.
And if you don't already know, RCModelex also makes scale accessories (bumpers, roof rack, etc.) for the D90 and D110.
The wheelbase is approx. 280mm (11"). Feel free to check out my build thread for ideas. Hope that helps.
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
Maybe I can help out some. I have a D90 build going but I'm using RC4WD's Gelande chassis. It also has their front bumper, side steps, and roof rack. I'm not sure how these all might fit on the Axial chassis, but I know it's been done at least with the body.
And if you don't already know, RCModelex also makes scale accessories (bumpers, roof rack, etc.) for the D90 and D110.
The wheelbase is approx. 280mm (11"). Feel free to check out my build thread for ideas. Hope that helps.
Alright cool. yeah The bumper and the side steps fit the chasis, I was just wondering how they looked on the defender body. Ill have to check out the bumpers an stuff from there. An yeah lots of help thank you! Imma go check out your thread now
Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Tough Armor Winch Bumper with Grill Guard to fit Axial SCX10

This is the bumper im lookin at. Its small, holds a winch and its not to much right?

And I think imma go rock sliders instead of side steps.

Tamiya Land Rover Defender D90 Landies 1.9" 5-Spoke Aluminum Wheel Set (B) | eBay
Im thinking ^ those for rims

This for the rear bumper. Im really worried though about how these will fit this though.
Tough Armor Spare Tire Carrier to fit Axial SCX10
Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Come to the conclusion that Im building this!
Old 12-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I remeber seeing this thing a year or so back, havent thought to do it but this would be a sick build as well right??
2010 Land Rover Defender by Aznom picture: 365117 - Top Speed

Which one should I do??
Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Gonna be out of town from the 3rd to the 16th. when I get back the body should be in!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Body came in, can't wait to get back to Florida to check it out.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Land Rover D90 Build thread (Gonna be alot of pics)

Headed home tomorrow...there is a Defender 90 body waiting for me! XD
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

We're waiting on you brother.
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Ive got alot of work to do!

Old 12-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

And so it begins....

Doin some paint prep. Started with the windshield which I taped up, so when I figure out my body color i can hit it with some paint. Also got the exterior body pieces that I'm painting black ready to go. (using a textured black.)

Enjoy!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Cool, at least the plastic won't rust (Rustoleum stops rust paint).

I like the choice of bodys. it will be a lot easier to fir tires, etc with that one as it is a larger scale then the Disco one. I ran my D90 today and had a lot of fun with it. Not bashing into everything and driving it scale was a blast. I broke my Cherokee at the first spot from beating on it. Then when we moved to the next I grabbed the Defender. And driving it like I would a 1:1 was actually a lot of fun. I usually just throttle jocky everything and just buy new bodys (they only last a run or two). Taking care of the rig was nice. A lot of work goes into a nice hard body like that. Too much to be destroyed in 10 minutes of wheeling. And that D90 is one of the most scale accurate body's you can buy. Enjoy
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote