Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: ~PROJECT~"FULL-TILT YOTA"~ (Truggy/Flatbed Style)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Default ~PROJECT~"FULL-TILT YOTA"~ (Truggy/Flatbed Style)

Hey guys....just thought I'd show some pics of my latest build that I've been working on.
Haven't had much time...and I've got several Jeep builds to do...hopefully I'll get more time around the Holidays.

I picked up a tubed truggy/flatbed about a year ago...or so.
It was on an MFM chassis...and I wasn't real crazy about that setup...(mainly because the MFM chassis aren't as scale as what I like to use...usually)........but I REALLY liked the simple lines of the tubed truggy/flatbed .

I started out with plans to use this on my "WideSide Yota" build....(still waiting on RC4WD's new Yota Grill so that I can start back on that build.....I've just been too lazy to build my own custom grill on that one !! LOL)

Anyways...I changed the whole direction of that build...and now it's going on a MSD Ute chassis.

So...I decided to build a Yota Truggy with that bed....(before anyone says it...I KNOW that it's not a REAL/ACTUAL TRUGGY...since the rear chassis section hasn't been chopped at the cab and then made entirely of tubing....which is what a REAL TRUGGY is......but most guys call this type of rig a "Truggy" simply because of it's look)

So...from this point forward...I'll just be calling it a TRUGGY...instead of a "Truggy style Flatbed".... !

OK...back to the build.

This bed was made up for that MFM chassis....so I decided to modify it and make it usable for an Axial SCX10 chassis.

The bed floor is made up of Aluminum Diamond plate...and it has a homemade diamond plated toolbox that holds the light controller and 9 volt battery for the rear tail-lights.

So I re-bent the tubed area that's used to mount the bed to the chassis....on the back...and then I CHOPPED about 1/2" off of the back of an Axial SCX10 chassis.
I did this...so that I could mount the cab and bed together...and then mount them on the back....and then I can TILT the whole body up...to access my battery/electronics...or whatever.

The front will be held down with either velcro...or possibly some hidden body mounts.
The front of the bed....also has some mounts that come off of the lower section of the roll-cage's main HOOP.

I modified those so that they will tightly slide down over the chassis....but not need to be fastened....that way they don't interfere with my "TILTING" action !

The bed has a simple and clean layout....that I really like alot....and a built-in spare tire hold-down too.

I'm either going to be selling this rig...or my "Black & Tan" Yota.....so I have to decide which one that I like the most.
I really like them both...and the Black & Tan Yota has been my favorite trail rig for the past year now.

I haven't finalized the tire/wheel combo for this rig yet...but my goal is for it to have some good clearance but keep it as "low slung" as possible so that I can keep the COG down too.

The bed is made from TUBING....so that helps to keep the weight down too.

I wanted this rig to perform well...so I stretched the wheelbase out to 12" .

I pushed the rear axle back further than usual...to give me a better Departure Angle and I also pushed the front axle forward as far as I could....while still maintaining the correct wheelbase....so that I could get the best approach angle with it too.

I flipped the front shock tower frame brackets around....and trimmed them...and turned it into a Chassis mount for the steering servo.

I filled all the holes in on the body...and added a Reign cab back to it as well

The color....hasn't been determined yet...and if I sell this one...the new owner might get to choose if I sell it before I decide on paint color.

If I keep it...and paint it...I've been thinking about several different otions........here are some of my ideas:

VIPER YELLOW (or any other super...ULTRA bright Yellow that is similar to that)
Hugger Orange (like my Bruiseruptor cab that is shown in a few of these pictures)
Electric Blue
Metallic Copper or Bronze
Gunmetal Grey metallic
Bright SILVER metallic
Driftwood or PEWTER metallic

Candy Apple Red (or other "Candied" colors)

and about 5 more colors that I can think of off the top of my head !

Here's some PICS....to do the rest of the talking.....(the first 2 pics are from the ORIGINAL BUILDER/OWNER of the Bed section..but I'm not sure who that was so I can't give them credit !)

Thanks
ArOn

Last edited by BiG_DaWgZ; 12-15-2011 at 01:33 PM.
BiG_DaWgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I like that Aron ... You never seem to amaze me. Always keep it simple yet your builds are always so sharp.. Nice work

J-bird
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Default Re: ~PROJECT ~ "FULL-TILT YOTA" (Truggy/Flatbed Style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
I like that Aron ... You never seem to amaze me. Always keep it simple yet your builds are always so sharp.. Nice work

J-bird

Thanks bro !!

I guess that old "KISS" saying........really works !

Not the......."I wanna Rock-N-Roll All Night !"....saying..........I'm talkin about the OTHER "KISS" Saying.......the Keep It Simple Stupid (K.I.S.S.) one !!

I've been wanting to try out some different mounting options for some of my Yota's lately so I've been experimenting with a few different ways to get them mounted up !

ArOn

Last edited by BiG_DaWgZ; 12-15-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

looking good so far man, i'm digging the body mount setup. i was never a fan of velcro, so it's nice to learn new options.
then again i'm also not a fan of charging batteries in trucks and having to grab a new scaler every time my battery dies.

but that's how i roll
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looking good Aron.
Erbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Looks good man. I've been trying to figure out how to mount my bed and cab for my Toyota build I may have to steal your idea.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

looking good. The flat beds are really popular atm
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
looking good so far man, i'm digging the body mount setup. i was never a fan of velcro, so it's nice to learn new options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
then again i'm also not a fan of charging batteries in trucks and having to grab a new scaler every time my battery dies.

but that's how i roll

Thanks Crunk

I'm the same way...and I usually try to include a big enough battery so that I don't have to mess with changing/charging throughout the day.

But...depending on the build...sometimes I can't get those big Lipo's (5000mah & larger)....to fit in the space that I have left when I'm running a full interior and also trying to keep the body down really low on the chassis (for better COG).

I use VELCRO...quite often...and if you find the right velcro it works very well.

The "right" velcro....is easy to tell....because it is very hard to separate....when stuck together.

Usually...you'll find that type of velcro labeled as "Industrial" or "super high strength"...etc..etc.

The other velcro's....just aren't strong enough and you'll end up having a rig where the body is always trying to fall off while you're running a course !!! (NOT GOOD !)

I'm hoping that this combination of hard mount (tilt-able)...and velcro....might just be the best of both worlds.

Easy access....with good holding strength (hopefully !) we'll just have to see how it works out in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbing View Post
Looking good Aron.

Thanks Erbing !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
Looks good man. I've been trying to figure out how to mount my bed and cab for my Toyota build I may have to steal your idea.

Thanks bud...and it's not stealin at all....in my opinion

The info that's available to us here...is just amazing....when you think about it.

I've picked up tips & tricks from literally DOZENS of other members here & their knowledge has undoubtedly saved me HOURS of frustration when dealing with unfamilar electronics/build technique's...etc...... for the first time !

Without this place....I'd probably still be scratching my head.....about MANY things...I'd imagine !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
looking good. The flat beds are really popular atm

Yea...they've been REALLY popular in 1:1 Toyota Rigs for many years here in the Midwest....simply because the beds rusted off of ALOT of the Toyota's....back when they were practically NEW still !! LOL

Thanks

ArOn

Last edited by BiG_DaWgZ; 12-15-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ~PROJECT~"FULL-TILT YOTA"~ (Truggy/Flatbed Style)

Looks like a nice start Aron. Let me guess...it's gonna be propane powered?
wally101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally101 View Post
Looks like a nice start Aron. Let me guess...it's gonna be propane powered?

You Guessed er......Chester !!!

I think that has become a mandatory thing for me now !

Which is ok...because I've always liked Propane powered Rigs........and...since I've got a few PARTS to build some tanks...I figure I'd better represent !

Plus...it's free advertising !

I hope to work on this one a bit more this wknd maybe.

Thanks
ArOn
Old 12-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
~THE SCALE SHOP~

love it!
nothing says "80s" like tilting body parts
kick a$$
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
love it!
nothing says "80s" like tilting body parts
kick a$$

Thanks bro !!

I've been thinking about trying to mount up a linear servo...or a cylinder of some sort like they use on dump trucks maybe ???

Or even just a standard servo or winch with a cable system designed to lift the body !

That way...I can use one of my extra channels on my radio to lift the body by REMOTE !!

I think that would be killer !!!

ArOn

~PROJECT~"FULL-TILT YOTA"~ (Truggy/Flatbed Style) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project "Clampy" 1.9" Scale Yota Build 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 717 08-09-2019 05:58 AM
Project "Quarry Defender" UTE Style janderson 1.9 Scale Rigs 20 08-24-2009 01:24 PM
Project "TimberWolf" 1.9" Scale Yota Hybrid 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 53 08-14-2008 06:43 PM
kaotik's f350 flatbed............"NALO style"!! RydeFab 2.2 Scale Rigs 29 03-07-2008 10:18 AM