Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Hosstyle Hilux new project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Hosstyle Hilux new project.

I love this build sooooooooooooo much!!!! this is one of the reasons i joind this forum!! love the new bed sides!!
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss138 View Post
Finished the front bumper last night.

Layout on my rusty sheet metal...lol....

Bumper front and back.

Bumper brazed togeather.

Blurry pic of the finished bumper.
Looks nice even with a blurry pic
cherokee pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Awsome build man. Do you have a vid on youtube? I swear I saw this exact truck on youtube.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Hey, Thanks for the complements guys!!! Yeah, I like the look with the bed sides also. No, there are no videos yet. This damn thing is still a work in progress. Just starting to get the elecs sorted out. Still waiting (and will be for a few more weeks) for the transfer case/skid plate combo from Dinky R/C. It is really the only way to get a low profile gear box,to accomodate the full interior, and still get a low enough gear ratio. I want this thing to crawl SLOW...

Anyway... Got some more work on the chassis done. I added rock sliders, and a mount for the "fuel filler". The filler tube is a vent and an antenna tube. Made some supports to mount the fuel cell. I also added some fuel lines to the fuel cell. One of the guys at the LHS gave an old tire that matches as a spare. Let me know what you think.

The "fuel filler" is a fuel nipple for r/c airplanes, to put in the side of the fueselage.

You can see the antenna in the "filler" tube. The plate on top of the cell is from MTHead in the vendor section.

The new 55 turn motor is mocked up with the HPI Wheely King GRU. Next step is making motor mounts.
Hoss138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss138 View Post
I havent posted any updates in a while beacuse, I needed to take a break from the 1/10 scale toy to work on my full scale toy. It is 1000cc 200hp 900lb mini sprint. (the top wing is in the garage) We race on 1/4-1/3 mile dirt oval tracks all over Calif. 70-80 MPH sliding sideways in the dirt. It had been stripped down to a bare chassis to be straightned. So I had to take the time to get it all reassembled. Enough with the big toy, on to the update on the Yota.

I added some more to the front bumper, Made a "Fuel Cell" elec's box, And added some bed sides (from orig. Wheely King body) on to the pics.
I need to get some button head screws to hold the rear body panels.
this is a temp mount for the filler hose.(just taped) I will make one.

This was, I think, the best use of the Wheely King body sitting on the shelf for years.
Wow looks great dude!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

All i have to say is WOW! this is definitely the best rig ive seen on this forum.
CRAWLIN5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Like that fuel cell setup, that idea is going to get copied.
Modbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #68
Pebble Pounder

I wouldn't say best. Thanks for the compliment. I do think it is coming along nicely though. I can't wait to "finish" it (like they are ever finished....)

I did cut out the hood. And just starting on the next project for under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLIN5150 View Post
All i have to say is WOW! this is definitely the best rig ive seen on this forum.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #69

Keep it up Hoss, it looks really good. I still think you should make the passanger door open also... :-) The work on the hood was awesome!!!!!!

The pictures look good, but it looks so much better in real life. I am lucky I get to see this thing in person.
Bill8Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Well I have been busy with the full scale toy. So, I have not got alot done recently. I did finally cut out and hinge the hood. I am pretty happy with how it came out. Today I also received some new"TR Inspired" rock rings from LockedUp R/C in the vendors section. These things are beautiful. Let me know what you guys think.

Without rock rings or....

...with rock rings? I am leaning towards with the rock rings. (they still need all the screws) I might get some scale hex heads for them.

The piece you see going inside the firewall is pinned to a bracket inside.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #71
Pebble Pounder

I have been slowly making more progress. I got the Trail Ready rockrings and scale screws installed. I think it adds some nice detail to the wheels. I brazed up some new front shock hoops and a small rear stinger.(no more plastic) I also picked up the batteries to power the truck. 2x Hypreion 2S 7.4 2100Mah linked in series. I added some bolt heads to the fuel cell. This morning I started fabing up the motor mount.

The batteries just fit under the body. Low CG and evenly balanced.

New shock hoops angle out a bit for better shock angle. Motor is just mocked up.

The motor will be mounted low.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #72
Pebble Pounder

I was able to get the motor mount brazed up. I borrowed the idea from "The Steelhead" by nigelpheron. It gives me some adjustability forward and back, and you can twist the motor which moves the output on the HPI gru.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

I missed this one! Subscribed from now on! AMAZING interior and detail work! My only critique is the exo tube dimension on the front. It probably scales out to 1.5" tube, and that just doesn't seem right. If it were me, I'd at least use 3/16 tube. Can't wait to see more from you!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #74
RCC Addict

definitely WITH rings!

Just personal opinion, but I would lose the bars going from the bumper, down the side of the front fenders. Everything else looks good tho!
Going Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

How did you mount the rock rings on those rims?
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

wow lots of cool ideas showcased here fellas.

looking good, can't wait to see it done. great job.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

Amazing work, what kind of scale count would your rig. Be around?
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #78
ahhh S^*T

this is amazing..

this is the guy that if you gave him a top shelf machine shop and all the BEST materials and tools he would come out with jaw dropping product..

super talent
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialJeepster View Post
this is amazing..

this is the guy that if you gave him a top shelf machine shop and all the BEST materials and tools he would come out with jaw dropping product..

super talent
Hoss138 is that type of guy. But to be honest it might slow him down he has always had his own way of building things.

I am going to upset him when I say this but today was a big day for this build he got it running with a temp tranny and even let me drive it. This Hilux is just way to cool a picture does not do it justice and it is not a shelf queen.

Great Work Hoss!!!!!!!
Bill8Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

WOW.....Thanks for the comments guys.

Bulldog: I think 1 1/2 chromoly tubing would be plenty strong enough for the small bars on the exo. Anyway the 1/8 music wire is strong and light, and easier to work with than 3/16 tubing. My original "Hosstyle Jeep" was made from all 3/16 brake line.

Going Up!: The rings are staying! Those bars will be part of a bolt on "Exo" cage for the top of the cab. (Thanks for the idea Jay)

XJkid93: The rock rings are glued on. The wheels are internal beadlocks. The rings are just for looks. I think they look very scale.

crunky: Thanks, Yes there is more to come.... Like they are ever finished.

Rodamis: Thanks, I'm not sure what you mean by scale count. I can't get to the comps. I work and/or race on the weekends. So this thing is just for me to play with.

AxialJepster: I could only dream of an actual shop with material and machines. Oh the things I could make.... But there is something kinda cool about being "Hand Made". I could definitely use some more power tools. That would speed up the process.

Bill8Bud: It was fun driving in your rocks and roots in your front yard. It made it maybe 10 minutes, I had it kinda bound up, and was giving it a little throttle and "POP" one side of the stock outdrive on the axial trans snapped. So I replaced it with a 3Racing steel outputs. Hopefully they will last longer...

So here are the first pics of it actually outside. I had to take out the interior to fit the stock axial trans. For the first time being propelled under it's own power, I think it crawled pretty good on the few rocks at mine and Bill8Bud's house. I need to put some weight in the wheels to keep them on the ground.

The rocks in the front yard.

Obligatory "Flex" Shots.......

Hosstyle Hilux new project. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hilux project neillarson 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 11-12-2013 07:57 AM
project hilux(for the gf) rocksteadily 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 06-08-2012 01:12 AM
Hosstyle Jeep Hoss138 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 10-04-2010 12:48 PM
New Hilux project! microgoat 1.9 Scale Rigs 48 01-31-2008 05:44 PM