Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The Mule 77 F150

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Mule 77 F150

Havnt updated in a while, thought Ide toss out some shots from a couple different rides in KY.

Green River was a little wet

Crawlin around Lake Malone

This rig has performed like a champ since the day I put it together, which is strange to me cause usually I have to do alot of tweaking initially to get the thing headed in the right direction. Unfortunately the bugs caught up at Lake Malone. I swear I lost so many nuts and bolts its not even funny, then lost both rear body posts, found one and lost it again lol. Loctite was used but apparently not enough so Im gonna have to go thru it all again before its next outting.
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Rig looks good man. I like how u separated the cab and bed. I'll be Watchin this one
93 FORD BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Took the Mule out to Cedars of Lebanon for a little more abuse today. I like to finish a course at all cost, and today definitely tested that resolve. Front driveshaft issues plagued the Mule all day, first it kept pushing the set screw loose, even with a healthy does of loctite. Then once I realized it was stripped and put a screw in its place, it started poppin the ears from the Yoke. Eventually it cracked and all was lost and I had to get a little inventive to keep from carryin her over a mile back to the car.

RIGHT before the first of many driveshaft issues hit

Little tuck never hurt anyone.

We FINALLY made it to the creek bed which was dry as a bone so we set of to explore it. Second time Ive ever been to it, and the second time Ive blown a driveshaft out and had to sit it out lol. Not wanting to give up just yet, and not wantin to carry my rig all the way back to the cars, I took the front driveshaft completely off and took one of the front axles out to allow the tires to spin freely of each other.

My hope was that I could run the trail back to the car in 2wd and get a tow over any major obstacles. Works like a charm and I actually was able to get thru most obstacles with a healthy dose of throttle and some smart steering. I did have another failure on the way back and thought it was the rear driveshaft saying ENOUGH. Ended up bein a lost nut holding the rear shock and link in so a quick ziptie job and she was back at it again

Unfortunately, despite all my efforts...she finally called it quits a short distance from the parking lot. Battery was dead and my other spare was in the car. Oh well...it was a heck of an effort!

Got a bit of work to do to get her back on the trail but I had a ton of fun!
Matt
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Lookn good mate, youve got some great pics there hey...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Got out this weekend for a late afternoon waterfall crawl! Ive been havin some issues with the rear suspension being too soft allowing the front to unload on inclines. I swapped in some stock SCX10 springs and added oil where the old had leaked out and now she's crawlin great again!

She was crawlin awesome but took quite a tumble at one point, and when the dust settled somethin looked a little off

Bent the steering link and busted the stock C-Hub into 3 pieces. Luckily a buddy had some extra hubs and she was back up and runnin! Ended up bein a really fun couple hours and Im pretty sure my waterproofing is finally working lol

Matt
Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

What rims are those?

I am assuming stock axial rims with aftermarket rings? If so, what rings ar they?

Thanks,

Michael
trailduster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Stock axials with some MTHead rings. I love the combo and have his rings on just about every wheel I own!!! Check out the vender section, he has an entire thread devoted to em and you cant beat the price.
Matt
Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Not much of an update, but I bolted up a tried and true set of oldschool Irons and hit a local rough spot for some fun. Didnt get many pics but the Mule crawled amazingly well. The new rear springs and shock oil helped a TON!!

WTF?!?!?!

Matt
Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Went to the salvage yard and got a super nice drivers door and a passenger door and fender that were a little less rough than before. Didnt get any pics of them installed until we hit the trail for a bit dangit

New Door.

Looks like Im gonna need another front fender and grill after this lol Decent shot of the white panels. Bit of surface rust but straight either way!

Goes to show that I NEED a front bumper soon!

Matt
Old 05-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Matt those new doors and fender looks great on there and really set the ol mule off. Great touch of class, really adds the scale look to it..
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Any updates? I really like the look of this body, I'll be ordering one Friday most likely.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Had a chance to abuse the Mule a little this weekend...and boy did I have a blast!!! I been workin on rusting out the old beater to make it look a little more like my old 77. Im lovin the way it looks and have been workin more since these were taken.

Bit hung up

We left the Creek in one piece and headed for the Secret Testing Grounds

Somethin doesnt look quite right lol

To rid the constant breaking of driveshafts I bought some Junfacs for her. Unfortunately the way I have this rig setup, the rear driveshaft wasnt long enough so I had to run a stocker till I figure out what to do. The front Junfac decided to kill the outdrive and end my day...or did it???

I was havin too much fun so I did like Lebanon and pulled a front dog bone and continued on in 2wd. This is not the place for that with all the loose dirt but I gave it hell anyways and had fun. I wanted to conquer one last obstacle which I figured woulda been cake with 4wd but even Justin's Jeep had to work to clear it so I would back up and get a head start and hit it with as much momentum as I could which resulted in more carnage.

Rear driveshaft twisted, bent and popped off the yoke. I zip tied it the best I could and gave it another shot. I finally...kinda made it LOL

I tried one more time after this landing which popped the shaft off again. I snapped it back on, tightened the zip tie best I could and lined up for a glory pass. I cracked the throttle and she didnt move an inch LOL. I took her apart yesterday and did the solid steel rod mod and added some length to the rear so I can finally run the Junfac. I didnt get any pics but I look forward to seein how it holds up!!!
Matt
Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Great looking rig! Glad to see more of these bodies popping up, really surprises me that this body wasnt developed sooner! Love the beater look for sure...I have the same body and gave it a beater look as well with dents and cracked windshield! I'd post a pic of it but don't wanna hijack your thread lol! Good job on the truck!
Sub'd!:thumbup:
railripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Do you have a build thread? Ide love to check it out! Shes a beater body so I figured Ide give it the beater treatment as I go along!!! More will come the more I beat on it!
Matt
Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Do you have a build thread? Ide love to check it out! Shes a beater body so I figured Ide give it the beater treatment as I go along!!! More will come the more I beat on it!
Matt
I don't have one yet, I built the truck when I didn't have a pc:rolleyes: however I did make sure to take pics of the build process, the only problem now is the beginning pics of the build were downloaded on a friends pc and the later pics were downloaded on mine when I got a pc. Then started another build and forgot about it. Soon as I get all the pics together I will post it up and you'll be the first to know
Old 06-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Went to the salvage yard and got a super nice drivers door and a passenger door and fender that were a little less rough than before. Didnt get any pics of them installed until we hit the trail for a bit dangit

New Door.

Looks like Im gonna need another front fender and grill after this lol Decent shot of the white panels. Bit of surface rust but straight either way!

Goes to show that I NEED a front bumper soon!

Matt
Check out RC ROCK ARMOUR.COM they got some great looking bumpers if don't have the resources to build one, I didn't, so I picked up the slayer bumper from them and its almost the perfect width and since you already have the faux bumper cut.. they aren't the tube style and look like they were made for these types of bodies:thumbup:
Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Im lookin to build a super simple bumper for it here in bit! I dont wanna cut down on the approach angle so itll be clean and outta the way, but enough to protect the front end.
Matt
Old 06-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Im lookin to build a super simple bumper for it here in bit! I dont wanna cut down on the approach angle so itll be clean and outta the way, but enough to protect the front end.
Matt
Yeah, thats the only major downside to their bumpers, It would definitly kill that approach angle...it kills mine!:mad: It's looks good and is strong...maybe a single round tube bumper, like redneck trucks..probly go good with the beater look.
Hey, I just gave myself an idea ...
Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Took the busted output out, drilled it out and did the bulletproof mod to it. I extended the rear output so I could run the Junfac shaft while I was at it. Hopefully my driveline will be stout enough to keep up!!! We hit up Shanty Hollow in KY and gave it a thrashing and despite bending a rear link she did great!

Hitting the trail showing off the new rusted hottness

There are a couple routes you can take back to the hollow, one of which takes you thru an amazing creek bed.

Once you get back to the hollow, things start to get muddy quick

The muddy hillclimbs are like nowhere else ive been, and the tumbles got worse and worse lol. The only fatality I had was a bent solid steel rear link LOL

Time to clean off

TOO CLEAN!?!?!?!

End of an awesome day!!! Now I gotta fix that rear link and clean the motor and the Mule will be back in action!!!

Matt
Old 06-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Love the rig. Body looks so freakin cool! What do you use for rustin it up? I gotta get some as that rust looks so real!
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote

The Mule 77 F150 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My sons ax10 'test mule' Hulksta Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 02-19-2012 09:23 PM
project rock mule shrek Tamiya Clod Buster 4 02-27-2006 06:56 AM
El Mule crawls neakid! Highmark Videos! 2 09-26-2004 12:37 PM