Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: JHTreyIII's Class 1 Build - 1981 Chevy Pickup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default JHTreyIII's Class 1 Build - 1981 Chevy Pickup

This is my build thread for my Class 1 '81 Chevy Silverado. This is a never ending (and neglected lately) build, I've been working on it for 3 years now. Here's where it sits as of 11/18/15:

Check back for updates!

Last edited by JHTreyIII; 11-18-2015 at 10:12 AM.
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: JHTreyIII's Clod Buster Build

I found a complete new/old stock Clod Buster body. This body was made in 1987, it has the copyright Tamiya 1987 on the bottom of it but it's brand new (well 25 years old but never used). Here are a couple shots from the seller:

This is my first ground up build without using a kit of parts. SUPER excited about this one.

One thing I'm going to have to teach myself on this one is how to do styrene body work and filler, etc. That's something I haven't tried yet. The engine in the hood will need to be filled in along with the sun roof. I also want to do a full drop bed so that will require a little bit of work. I also need to make or find a clear windshield. I want to put an interior in this guy and the smoked windsheld won't look right.

Last edited by JHTreyIII; 03-07-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

So I decided to go ahead with the GCM 4TEN chasis, what a slick setup. Here's a shot from one of his threads.

Last edited by JHTreyIII; 02-28-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Scale Detail Engineering

Nice score Trey!
This will be a nice Class 1
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks man! Yes, this one is going to turn out really nice.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #6

Clear windshields are available on ebay. Are you going to go with just the chassis or the chassis kit? I've got my clod body ready for paint and want to use this chassis as well but can't find the full kit. Only the chassis is available through gcm along with most of the other peices which would have to be purchased seperatly. Let me know if you find kits available anywhere. Thanks
perry3182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry3182 View Post
Clear windshields are available on ebay. Are you going to go with just the chassis or the chassis kit? I've got my clod body ready for paint and want to use this chassis as well but can't find the full kit. Only the chassis is available through gcm along with most of the other peices which would have to be purchased seperatly. Let me know if you find kits available anywhere. Thanks
I found the whole kit at TCS Crawlers but I think I got the last one (just got the shipping notice). It shows out of stock now. I was emailing back and forth with Chris from GCM last night though, I think he'll have them back in stock in a couple weeks. One thing he did mention was that the Losi Mini Cralwer shocks make for a good, scale looking shock (without the springs of course). Check out the TCS Crawler store, it also talks about what leaf springs to look at, there are a couple different sizes from Tamiya that will fit.

I'll have to check the windshields out. I was just thinking about cutting one out of and old honcho body but a real one would be much better.

I've heard there are numerous reproduction items for this body. I haven't really looked for any yet, have you found anything cool?

Last edited by JHTreyIII; 02-28-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I just noticed that I posted this thread in the 1.9 section. I'm planning to run 1.55 wheels on this guy. Oops.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

So a few items I ordered today...

AX10 Axel Housings
HD Bevel Gears
Boca Bearing Kit
RCP lockers
Axial Universals and Rear Straight Axels
VP Chubs and Knuckles
Losi Mini Crawler Socks
VP Tranny Housing
RRP Tranny Gears
MIP Drive Shafts
And a clear set of windows for the body
Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Hahaha.. Ohh man...

You got problems dude.. I know because, I have problems. $$$$
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
Hahaha.. Ohh man...

You got problems dude.. I know because, I have problems. $$$$
Hello my name is Trey and I'm a crawlaholic. I am addicted to buying RC parts I don't really need.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Styrene work isent to hard I had no clue what I was doing when I first started messing with it. Just take your time and you'll be fine.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTreyIII View Post
I just noticed that I posted this thread in the 1.9 section. I'm planning to run 1.55 wheels on this guy. Oops.
You sure? The good tires are either 1.7 or 1.9.. I'm sure that what the rest of us (NIRC) are going to run. They are class1 legal still. 4.19" is the limit. There aren't many above average 1.55 tires right now.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrwannabe View Post
Styrene work isent to hard I had no clue what I was doing when I first started messing with it. Just take your time and you'll be fine.
Cool! I figured I'd catch on pretty quick. It doesn't look too bad and it looks like mistakes can be corrected fairly easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
You sure? The good tires are either 1.7 or 1.9.. I'm sure that what the rest of us (NIRC) are going to run. They are class1 legal still. 4.19" is the limit. There aren't many above average 1.55 tires right now.
I haven't spent much time looking just yet. I assumed the 1.55's were kinda the way to go in class 1. Sounds like I need to do some more research!

Last edited by JHTreyIII; 02-28-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #15

Thanks for the info on the chassis. I'm pretty sure I'm going 1.5's for mine as well. I did find a tonneau cover somewhere, just can't remeber where at the moment.
perry3182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

So the body just arrived, talk about speedy shipping. It's in perfect shape! Now I need to starting thinking about the paint job. I'm kinda thinking maybe just white like an old farm truck. It doesn't seem like you see too many white trucks around here.

Or this...

Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

So I was just gathering parts but last night I decided to check the chassis out. It's really nice, simple and intuitive. Of course I'm changing the hardware out as I go to stainless. I hate rusty screw heads.

Got a little bit of it put together. Still waiting on leaf springs and axel parts. Baby steps.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Not a whole lot of updates here. I'm kinda poking along on this one. I'm still missing quite a few parts. I also keep thinking of things I need as I go so it stops me. Once my beef tubes come in for the axles I'll be able to get this thing to a roller. Today I put the leaf springs on. I used the Tamiya Hi-lift springs. The GCM chassis kit also comes with a 3" lift kit (scale of course) set of shackles. I went ahead with the stock ride height ones for now. We can always switch them out if need be. I'm also a little concerned about the width of the axles so I ordered a set of Chevy fender flares from SDI to help keep the tires covered. I used their round flares on my '72 C10 and they're awesome. They're a little large for the wheel wells so I'm going to have to trim one or the other to make them work. That's a ways down the road though.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Okay so tonight I got the tranny together, talk about a slick setup. I used a Vanquish housing, Robinson Racing Steel Gears with solid outdrive and the dog bone connection to the transfer case is smooth as silk. One thing I really like is how GCM angled the tranny/motor plate mount slightly to help with the primary drive line angle. I've been really impressed with this chassis.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

So I got the axles put together tonight! Finally got my beef tubes. So I'm using Axial Heavy Duty Bevel Gears at 13/43 (low front & rear), RCP stainless lockers, biggin69 Beef Tubes, Axial aluminum rear lockouts, Axial Universals, Boca Bearings and Vanquish 8 degree chubs and knuckles. These are some beefy axels! Not that they really need to be but I like to have the weight down low more than anything. You can't have too much strength though.

I held them up to the body and they're definitely too wide for class one without flares. I ordered another set of flares from SDI similar to those on my class 2 rig but squared this time to match the truck's wheel wells.

You can also see that I went ahead and shaved the stock link/shock mounts off. The leaf "u-bolt" brackets require this and will cover the not so perfect shave job. Tomorrow I'll get them mounted up and try to figure out a good way to mount my loss mini crawler shocks.

Lookin' good!

Last edited by JHTreyIII; 03-16-2012 at 07:24 PM.

JHTreyIII's Class 1 Build - 1981 Chevy Pickup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JHTreyIII's 'Big Metal Bitch' Wraith Build JHTreyIII Axial Wraith 141 04-18-2014 06:42 PM
JHTreyIII's '72 Chevy C10 Build JHTreyIII Axial SCX-10 83 10-29-2012 05:05 PM
Project Buster..... Ultimate Clod Build (or so I hope) Lumpmister Tamiya Clod Buster 3 07-01-2007 08:04 AM
It's not a Clod Buster - It's the God Buster SINNER Tamiya Clod Buster 5 11-28-2006 07:08 AM