Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Defender 110 pickup build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Defender 110 pickup build...

Rovers are like a nasty infection. As soon a you think you're done with them, you start to itch again.

So while awaiting a used hilux body and a new one on back order, I broke this D110 pickup out of my closet and figured what the heck. I'd planned on just running a lexan bronc body while waiting/building, but it's been taking muchos abuse and I needed something to keep my attention.

Started with a D110 body from kamtec. I'd bought this a year ago when I bought my Disco body. It's really more of a mish-mosh of Rovers...Split wind screen of an early SII, bumped out grille of a Defender or Stage 1 and a connected bed/cab (non-Hi-cap).

We'd built a Defender 110 Hi-Cap a few years ago and while I'd love to do a scale version, it will need to wait until my life settles a bit

I do have some Arles blue paint and a bit of it may make an appearance here on this, but we'll see. It will certainly be getting some of the fantastic weathering you can only get on an aluminum body

Started with this...

To a rough trim...

Then scribed in some body lines and trimmed the flares up a bit more. Left the sill panel there for now (normally it would be removed for sliders on both a 1:1 and on my scx )

Also, the truck is just resting on the body posts right now, so it's a bit higher than it will end up. I will trim the flares a bit more for clearance.

Aaaaaaaaaaand my old '94 D90...

Last edited by tozrovr; 03-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Defender 110 pickup build...sort of :)

painted up the silver for the base coat. It will get sanded ever so slightly before the main color(s) go on.

I'd like to cut in the fuel filler tomorrow, but we'll see. Not sure how super detailed I want to get on this...
Old 03-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Defender 110 pickup build...

You should give this to me because you wouldn't even be messing with it till I asked you about it over the weekend...

Boggers look nice on it. Did you have to change the wheelbase from the Bronc or did you get lucky? Great fit for the Chassi.

Always love to see pics of Duncan driving. Sorry to hear about his leg
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook82 View Post
You should give this to me because you wouldn't even be messing with it till I asked you about it over the weekend...

Boggers look nice on it. Did you have to change the wheelbase from the Bronc or did you get lucky? Great fit for the Chassi.

Always love to see pics of Duncan driving. Sorry to hear about his leg
Thanks Mark! Duncan is doing great! Out of surgery about 45 minutes ago. The doc said he did really well and will be home tomorrow.

Wheelbase us the same as the Bronc and the hilux. Score
I have the body here with me at work and I'm working in some boatsides lil.

Rj
Old 03-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
RCC Addict

You get paid too much to work on RC's and post on RCC. Go make some terrorist killing stuff, will ya?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
You get paid too much to work on RC's and post on RCC. Go make some terrorist killing stuff, will ya?

Just got my windshield done.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
RCC Addict

...oh and instead of welding a cage/lightbar up at work, I built some infrared suppression systems for some helo's When I got home I chopped up a dingo cage really quickly, added an RPM light bar into the mix...and got this.

Paint tomorrow and fine tuning the exo/bar. The main color will be a desert tan...all faded and worn though in places
Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Old 03-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Sweet rig man. Gotta follow this.
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I'm still up in the air about the lightbar/exo. I may just cave and mig up an "a" bar.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I wasn't digging the hacked dingo cage very much. I like the Safety Devices 90/110 pickup bar so figured I'd start here. I made the uprights as well but with the baby up from his nap and the dog post leg amputation, I couldn't cut. fishmouth and weld too much today...

Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Coming along nice! You gonna try and make the meet this weekend?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Coming along nice! You gonna try and make the meet this weekend?
Hoping to! Still not authorized on that site yet though :(

Truck is done for now (meaning I can wheel it now LOL) Cage is primed, painted and bolted on, "glass" is in, body mounted on the truck pretty much where it will be for good. I'll need to trim the rear of the wheel wells for rubbing and I'd like to drop the body down a bit more, but we'll see how much trimming that requires. I'd also like to cut holes for the door handles, back them with styrene so they're there and have some depth.

My Hilux body showed up yesterday as well as my Tfinder chassis and springs...not even interested in it at this juncture LOL. The original plan had been to just put the leaf setup from the tfinder on the scx10 chassis with the Hilux body. Now that the 110 is done, I think I'll just leave the springs on the tfinder chassis and put the hilux on there. Just excited to wheel this one .
Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
RCC Addict

it looks great. the Boggers are a nice look for it. The NERCC site is pretty mellow. Not much use, but the most used crawler one that is local that I know of. Only thing on the 110 that bugs me is the look of the windshield area. At least at the top. Almost like if it had been trimmed a little lower would have made it look different. Not sure how to describe it. I think the tires and steelie wheels are a great fit. The rear cage is nice too. Gives it a more full look. If it has a winshield then we need to slap a Warn Windshield banner on it. Would make it look just right. I think I may have an extra one, will have to look. Though if I only have one, it is going on my "New" Cherokee body. I may have a few though.

If you go on Sunday, definitely run this. We can carpool if you want. Bought a new battery yesterday for the Jeep so it can start now without being jumped. $115 bucks that could have been spent on RC's. When I put it back on the road last year, it hadn't been started in almost 2 years. So I bought a cheapie battery for like $50. Oh well. Didn't want to waste much $ if the Jeep wouldn't start. I should have just looked for one around Cory's shop (where it had been sitting for 2 years).
Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I hear you on the windshield, the shape wouldn't let me get the right detail on it. I will be trying to add some more dimension there. The vents are normally on a more vertical plane whereas the windshield frame should have the angle.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
RCC Addict

While not 100% buttoned up I figured it was no excuse to not hit the rocks today with a good friend Josh in his Gelande Defender 90. I bent and welded up the boatsides quickly before leaving work last night just so I would have some support under there. I also still have some minor body detailing to do but all in all I'm stoked with it how it sits.

nice shot of the boatsides here :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Nice pics. Where did you guy's go? We have to do a Rover run. I just donated the bumper and winch off of my Defender to my Chero-car for tomorrow. It works better on that rig due to the much higher clearance. I want to make something different for the Defender to help with approach angle. I may fab something up when I get home tomorrow. Boatsides came out great. The 110 looks so right with the Boggers
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Nice pics. Where did you guy's go? We have to do a Rover run. I just donated the bumper and winch off of my Defender to my Chero-car for tomorrow. It works better on that rig due to the much higher clearance. I want to make something different for the Defender to help with approach angle. I may fab something up when I get home tomorrow. Boatsides came out great. The 110 looks so right with the Boggers
Thanks

We just walked out Josh's back door, down the trail through the Rachel Carson Wildlife Area in Kittery point.

I had to use my winch today haha!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Door handles and some rust

Defender 110 pickup build... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camel Tophy Defender 110 build. Stburr91 1.9 Scale Rigs 71 10-09-2013 05:12 AM
Landrover defender 110 build pajomad 1.9 Scale Rigs 50 01-15-2012 04:14 PM
Land Rover Defender 110 SW build help Le0Heart Axial SCX-10 1 09-26-2011 08:53 PM
Defender 110 Pickup build, (wifes new scaler) Prime 1.9 Scale Rigs 61 05-20-2010 08:30 AM
1988 Camel Trophy Defender 110 Build Krazy_Polak Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 9 04-16-2010 05:19 AM