Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My D21 Build ( Might be pic heavy )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My D21 Build ( Might be pic heavy )

Hey guys. You might recognize this from URC. I figures it might be a bit more fitting here at RCC.

The final goal is pretty lofty and will take alot of time. Right now Im just working on a body. I couldnt find a Nissan D21 body I liked so I decided to make one. It wont be amazingly done like some of you guys. Im making it to look good and be durable. Ill be fitting it onto an e revo as well so it better not shatter when the e revo hits the lid at 60! Ill eventually ( read: on spare time ) made a pre-runner body for my slash out of this project.

My Inspiration, my truck:

The SCX10 truck I will be building off of:

I have to do the courtesy flex shot right? Its using my prototype 1/2 x 28TPI krink/flaming pig style flash hider Im designing and making for my M4gery as the helper in this flex shot.
Opps, speaking of ARs, the bottom portion of my airsoft gun is in that pic.

The 2D CAD model:

Ended up having to bob the end of the bed off a little to make it fit the dingo wheelbase and keep the bumper at the end of the chassis as to not break it off. I doubt Ill snap the bumper off with a scaler but Im used to 60MPH trucks like the slash and the e revo that would break it off in a heartbeat.

The Photoshop mockup:

3D Progress so far:

I still need the curves of the body, the front and rear windows, the louvers in the hood that are found on an older D21 and some touch ups.

Steps after the 3D model is done: CNC it out of wood and then use a vacuum mold machine to make a lexan body. Then figure out some way to attach it to the SCX chassis as to give the best appearance and best performance and no holes.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My D21 Build ( Might be pic heavy )

Nice looking concept, if I may, looking @ the 1:1 and your Cad concept the wheel base seems to long for the bed. If you shortened the wheelbase of the chassis, or scaled up the body so thebeds wheel well was centered like your 1:1 I think it would look alot better.
Just my opinion, wish I had Cad.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

looks cool. nice to see a scratch build start up. .
wheelinjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Would be cool to see this built and I would make the wheel base shorter and it will make the body look better. Your putting this much work into a custom body might as well buy or make some shorter rear links.
balln is offline   Reply With Quote

My D21 Build ( Might be pic heavy ) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.2 Junkyard Build (pic heavy) Tex_50613 2.2 Scale Rigs 19 07-14-2014 09:15 PM
My Tundra Build (pic Heavy) CURTDOGG 1.9 Scale Rigs 34 10-30-2012 09:21 PM
NorZepol's Betty Build (pic heavy) NorZepol Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 03-20-2012 08:22 PM
First 2.2 Rubicon Build (pic heavy) zueslilbuddy 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 05-27-2009 07:51 AM
Mini Slingshot build (pic heavy) swisherteets Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 22 01-08-2009 08:21 PM