Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Moonys 'Big Red' 57 Chevy Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Moonys 'Big Red' 57 Chevy Build

Hello all, finally started a new crawler 1.9 build that is more on the build side. I plan on doing most everything step by step, and doing it right the first time. I came up with a base of wraith axles, metal links, 35t motor and waterproof everything, all to be mounted on a 57 chevy body. My mom has a 55 chevy 3100 pickup that we just finished rebuilding, and its sort of an inspiration for me to build a crawler like it. Ill be running 1.9 boggers, never have used them but they look like a good tire. Heres some progress pictures, wheelbase will be around 11-11.5"

Somewhat I'd like it to be around, sit a little lower too.

Input is always welcome, hope to update as I go!

Color will be bright red
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Moonys 'Big Red' 57 Chevy Build

Nice choice for a body, will be keeping an eye this one.
Modbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Robbed the motor and tranny off my wraith. Im using the 35t Integy, crawls pretty good for my taste. Though I put the motor and tranny mount on the frame backwards so im going to have to turn it around to make room for the driveshafts since the pumpkin will be offset. Will be interesting how tight it will be to fit the upper links with the driveshafts.. Hopefully it will flow smoothly..

Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Got the body cut, am going to be putting dingo fender flares on it when i get my hands on a set. Anyone have 2 flares for sale with the back brackets? Preferably new or gently used.

Pictures ofcourse :thumbsup:

Suckers gonna be widee

One thing that sucks is that Im unsure about how the links will work with the driveshafts. I think its going to be really really tight, have yet to mount anything yet, need to decide what links I need to use depending on the wheelbase. I have the axial lowers and uppers I can use (unsure about the lengths atm), or the stock 91mm that come with the kit, seems to be too short.

Once again, looking for some dingo flares in good condition. Will definitely need them
Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It will be interesting to see you make the wide stance look right, of you pull it off this will be a sweet build. Good luck!
swezy207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks man, i dont think it will be really a 'scale' build but it will be unique non the less. I plan to run the dingo flares, which run perfectly with the body lines of the truck, just need two more. Issue will be limiting the flex, and getting more down travel. I dont want it to sit real high, i like the stance it was at, but it could come up a little bit to help clear some space out.

Im just now painting the body, its my first time so I hope it turns out! Its red let me tell you, if it turns out good its gonna look killer.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Is that the Parma body? Mind telling us the BODY wheel base and width?
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
1. Agreed! Inquiring minds and all.

2. Same Moony from Jeep Forum right?

3. I hate your build! (kidding) I really like that body and see 100 things I could do with one but I have 2 Jeep builds going (XJ and TJ) and just ordered a TON of styrene to attempt building a ZJ body.

4. I have a full set of new Dingo flares I don't think I'll use. I could pm you a good price shipped but I'm hoping you have some kinda scale accessories or sumpin to trade first.
Dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
Body Wheelbase: 10 1/2 from center of wheel wells
Body Length: 18"
Body Width: 7 1/4"

Im not deciding that the wraith axles are just too wide for that body. I would get hardly an flex and I prefer the low COG so Im going to use my old scale axles. I already will have high steer knuckles, all aluminum links except for the rear uppers, and I can use my old MIP front shaft and rear Integy shaft. Still need the flares to make the room for the tires. The paint job is pretty cheap looking, pretty dissapointed. The paint itself turned out good, but it just looks too plastic-y, debating on running it the way it is or a different plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeman View Post
1. Agreed! Inquiring minds and all.

2. Same Moony from Jeep Forum right?

3. I hate your build! (kidding) I really like that body and see 100 things I could do with one but I have 2 Jeep builds going (XJ and TJ) and just ordered a TON of styrene to attempt building a ZJ body.

4. I have a full set of new Dingo flares I don't think I'll use. I could pm you a good price shipped but I'm hoping you have some kinda scale accessories or sumpin to trade first.
Yep, same moony :thumbsup: And that will be interesting seeing you build a ZJ body, should be definitely unique. If you can shoot me a price for them, we can make a deal. I dont have scale accesories that are worth trading. :(
Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
RCC Addict

nice. Thanks for the build idea. Damnit. Doesn't help that those body's are on sale either.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Moonys 'Big Red' 57 Chevy Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Big Red Build Thread! PhantomRS10 Axial SCX-10 66 06-07-2016 03:23 PM
454 Big Block, Musta been a Chevy! K5 Build. Twiztid Metal Axial SCX-10 26 02-16-2012 03:10 PM
the new damn red chevy who wants some damnredchevy Formula Offroad 5 04-04-2011 08:16 PM
My new red chevy! josh97 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 10-09-2010 02:07 PM
Big Red Hits The Big Time JEFF THE JET Missouri 14 07-09-2008 09:39 PM