Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX10 comanche build/help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Default SCX10 comanche build/help

so just got into rc crawling got the scx10 rtr have had some problems with the esc it came loose which causes it to freak out sometimes and i have to unplug the wires to the motor and plug them back in any easy fixes to that and would anyone recommend taking off the shock bump stops is it worth it. and here are some nice pictures of the rig

tucktuck200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SCX10 comanche build/help

The only thing you will gain by taking off the bump stops is more up travel. Which you can see, you can't use as the tires come right to the body as it is. You could do it, but you will get heavy contact with the wheel openings. Then you would have to trim them or raise the body. The stock rig has plenty of flex as it is. It has been covered a ton here as to what having an ultra flexy rig will do. It is often times not a benefit for many reasons.

If you wanted to try it, you could take the bump stops off as well as the body and see how it works. Not exactly the same as running the body, but you could see what happens with the suspension and how it wheels without the bump stops that way. Keep in mind when the body goes back on the top heaviness will be more then without it. If you like the way it works without the bump stops then make changes to use it that way (cut bigger wheel openings, raise the body, etc. none of which look good).

Not sure what you mean about your esc issue. Does it keep coming lose and flopping around or is it doing something glitchy? Motors wear out or need to be cleaned from time to time. Some esc's need to see the motor hooked up to function. If there is an intermitant contact from like a bad wire, worn motor brushes, bad connector, it may go into a off or protection mode. I would just try cleaning the motor and making sure all connections are tight and wires are not sliced, etc. If there is a connector between the esc and the motor, I would eliminate that if possible. Some rigs come that way and it makes it easier for maintenance and motor changes. But it is a failure point and often times the connectors used are not very good quality. It can cause weird things to happen and be hard to diagnose. The less weak links in the system, the less that can go wrong type of thing.

Either way looks like you are having fun with it. The Comanche body looks nice. it would look cool if you painted the door handles and window trim silver. That would add some nice detail to it.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

thanks and so could i take the connectors from the esc to motor and cut the connectors off and connect them the old fashion way and electrical tape them so they can't really come apart at all and would it be a good idea to glue the esc somewhere on the rig cause thats whats happening its flopping around and i think thats the problem of it shutting off or going into protection mode as you said. and to clean the motor i can take it off hook it up to a battery and run it in water???
Old 06-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
RCC Addict

For the esc, I would pick up some double sided tape or maybe use Shoe-goo. Shoe0goo is flexible but strong. You would still be able to remove the esc later if you glued it down with that stuff. Double sided tape is good. but if you run in water, etc it can dissolve. There is habby specific double sided tape but it is expensive. Shoe-goo is good for many hobby things and can be found at any WalMart, etc.

For the motor, they make motor spray. It is similar to full size vehicle brake cleaner. Cleans oily crud but evaporates. I usually tear my motors down and clean them the old fashioned way (water and brush). But I have been running brushed motors for many years and used to tune and rebuild them for touring car racing. So I am very familiar with them. It is not hard, you just need to keep track of some small parts and shims/washers. If you do not want to go through that, I would pick up some rc motor cleaner. If you run in dusty or muddy terrain, it is good to have. The main thing that will happen is the motor brushes will stick and "hang". They then lose contact with the inner motor (communicator) and then your dead in the water. You can clean motors with water, but it doesnt work to get rid of oil or get into the indies too well. That is why a good tear down is good from time to time. There are bearings in most motors that could use a oiling as well as maintenance. You can run a motor under water. I do it all the time . But make sure if it is a motor that has bearings, that you oil them (the bearings) afterwards. Light oil like "RemOil" which is a gun oil and found at most any WalMart type place works good. Dont use too much as extra oil just holds dirt.

If you remove any connectors, I would use shrink wrap. It is cheap but much more secure then electrical tape. You could use that by all means, it is just not as clean looking and secure. You will want to solder any connections as well and not use some kind of crimp on connectors. If you do not have access to that, then I would leave the stock connectors alone.

There are hobby specific products out there. but RemOil for lubing bearings and Shoe-Goo for gluing things can be found anywhere and are cheap.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #5

thanks

Tags
axial honcho, jeep, scx10

SCX10 comanche build/help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comanche Scx10 1.9's AsILayDying Axial SCX-10 4 06-22-2012 10:42 PM
scx10 jeep comanche pwarren1515 Axial SCX-10 23 08-16-2011 12:31 AM
Axial SCX10 Jeep Comanche CountryChevy15 Axial SCX-10 17 08-09-2011 10:26 PM