Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 2009 Chevy Silverado IFS Ext Cab Short Bed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 2009 Chevy Silverado IFS Ext Cab Short Bed

No updates in 9 months... Did you have a baby?
Derek Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Sweet build so far!
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Larsen View Post
No updates in 9 months... Did you have a baby?
What a weird thing to say... no, no babies... just have other projects that I was spending time on. Still haven't done much since the body needs some work to look right. I have considered sending it off to one of the custom builders here to get finished, but it hasn't been in the budget yet to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79SCX10 View Post
Sweet build so far!
Thanks! I do want to get this finished, and it's not too far off. One other thing I needed to figure out was the rear shocks. Initially I was using touring car shocks mounted directly to the frame, but now I am thinking a cantilever set-up will work better. Still need to test and tune it, but I have a design for that going.

I had considered selling it, but it's worth more done than it is the way it sits, and I don't want to let it go just yet.

Stay tuned! I might have an update before the end of the year.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Just saw this build, very creative. Great idea with the ABS cement. Talented builder....will follow this.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Awesome build, and some even better info here! Any chance you'd share the HPI part number for a pinion shaft that will work with the HPI HD gears and Axial drive shafts? BTW, if you do happen to have problems with the outdrives sliding out of the spool/locker it can be remedied with an o-ring or two dropped into the dogbone cups. Try to use the same number of o-rings in the inner and outers and it will keep the outdrives in, as well as keeping the dog bones centered in the cups. Keeps chewed up dogbones/cups to a minimum. Pretty much a required mod on CC01s with lifts/increased droop to keep the shafts from binding, and the outdrives from falling out.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Awesome build, and some even better info here! Any chance you'd share the HPI part number for a pinion shaft that will work with the HPI HD gears and Axial drive shafts?
82020 - Input Shaft 5x28mm - works with Axial and other standard 5mm driveshafts
86810 - Gear Shaft 5x6x29mm - works with HPI, Traxxas and other 6mm driveshafts

What is nice about these is that they have a through-hole so you can use a pin rather than the old double set screw style.

Quote:
BTW, if you do happen to have problems with the outdrives sliding out of the spool/locker it can be remedied with an o-ring or two dropped into the dogbone cups. Try to use the same number of o-rings in the inner and outers and it will keep the outdrives in, as well as keeping the dog bones centered in the cups. Keeps chewed up dogbones/cups to a minimum. Pretty much a required mod on CC01s with lifts/increased droop to keep the shafts from binding, and the outdrives from falling out.
I use a very short section of fuel tubing in each cup. Seems to be more compliant and easier to get in the diff cups. Plus you can get exactly the length you want rather than relying on the width of the o-rings. (I've found in some set-ups that two o-rings was too much, and one was not enough...)
Old 11-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Just saw this build, very creative. Great idea with the ABS cement. Talented builder....will follow this.
Thanks!
I've been messing with ABS cement for a while. Here's a build thread from when I built a Car Computer for one of my previous vehicles. The ABS cement allowed me to mold in the touch screen bezel to the stock vehicle dash bezel.
Apparently I did such a good job that I was recognized as one of the "Best of Dash Fabrication" installs.

check it here (Finished installed pics on post 49 in the thread)

for those that don't want to click the link above:

Before (stock)

After:

Last edited by monkeyracer; 11-10-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #48
RCC Addict

So, to make sure I'm understanding correctly, if I use #86329 in the front and #86336 in the rear, I will need to shave the back side of the front ring gear, and use #82020 pinion shaft in the front? The HD WK/rear gear set looks like it includes a pinion shaft that is integral with the pinion similar to an Axial HD gear set, meaning I wouldn't need an additional shaft for the rear. Sorry for the million questions, and thanks a ton for the info!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:27 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So, to make sure I'm understanding correctly, if I use #86329 in the front and #86336 in the rear, I will need to shave the back side of the front ring gear, and use #82020 pinion shaft in the front? The HD WK/rear gear set looks like it includes a pinion shaft that is integral with the pinion similar to an Axial HD gear set, meaning I wouldn't need an additional shaft for the rear. Sorry for the million questions, and thanks a ton for the info!
You only need to shave the 86329 gear if you use it in the Axial axle housing, if you use the RS4 housing, no modification is needed (since that's what the gear was made to fit.) The 82020 shaft allows you to use a 5mm driveshaft (like what comes with the SCX10, etc).
I don't remember what the 86336 gears look like on the back side, but I don't think they would need modification, but I would actually recommend the AX30395 Gears instead. Same ratio, but made for the Axial housing, and I think you can find them for less than the HPI Set.

The front gears listed above (86329) are 36/14, and the rears (AX30395) are 38/13, so you will have some overdrive with that set up.
If you don't want the overdrive, you can get the AX30401 Gears which are also 36/14.

I'd love to see some more IFS SCX/RS4 rigs out there, so if you end up making one, I'd love to see it.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Lol, as much as I love the IFS rig, it's not for me. Just looking for cheap OD/standard/UD gear options for SCX10 axles. To tell you the truth, I don't much care for the Axial HD gears and their bevel cut. Bevel cut gears have a coast and drive side, and Axial has them setup to drive on the coast side in the AX/SCX10 housings. Honestly, other than the fact that these trucks are so low speed and oversized compared to a 1:1, I can't see how more gears don't end up destroyed than do.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:57 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

sell me that body lol im building the same truck and having a hard time finding the bodys

ps nice work
td-civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by td-civ View Post
sell me that body lol im building the same truck and having a hard time finding the bodys

ps nice work
You are about a year late:

IFS Silverado Prerunner...

Post #12...

They are hard to find, especially 2 of them. Sometimes I regret selling the bodies, but then KillerBlackbird did such a good job with it, I don't regret it as much.

2009 Chevy Silverado IFS Ext Cab Short Bed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ext Cab Hilux Honcho w/ Steel Bed slobin3d Axial SCX-10 304 08-16-2012 07:11 PM
Short bed Chevy thunder7845 2.2 Scale Rigs 11 01-07-2009 09:59 AM
My CHEVY SILVERADO rear bed/exocage build xXWKMafiaXx 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 08-02-2007 09:29 PM