Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project Lovell Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Project Lovell Racing

It's really looking good, a lot of thought going into it. I don't know where the rear tires are now, but if they aren't pretty close to the wheel openings, it's going to look a little wonkey. The fronts you can always get away with, but the rear should be as close as you can. The tires look spot on as well!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Dirk u get my pm?
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

And then?
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Well i've made some slow progress. It sat for a while during the busy holidays, and then i felt like spending money on some item's i've really been wanting to work with lately. I was originally going to go with the curries, but i've always wanted these axles and they're cheaper. They are also more narrow than axial width's which fits the rig perfect. I had to re-do quite a bit of the cage work; upper rails/shock mounts, swap panhard to the otherside, and change the servo mount so it stands up. Much happier with the new result. I've still got to get links sorted out, finish servo mount, and make a rear four link mount for the axle. Basically t's still a WIP but i got a new camera that i don't really know how to use, so i thought i'd try and snap some pictures .

dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #45
My vendor status has been revoked

i love it! great work man, some of those joints look pretty fun! lol theres tons of inspiration here! saving a few pics for sure..
summitcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

I'm building somewhat of a copy of the buggy, would you share a few measurements of it?

A) What is the distance from the lower windshield cowl bar to the front cross brace above the axle centerline (radiator support bar)?

B) What is the front chassis width at that cross bar over the front axle cl (outside of fender bar to outside of fender bar)?

C) Where is the front axle centerline relative to the radiator support bar (ie. behind that bar 1/8", in front 1/16", etc.?)

D) How much arc does the lower windshield/ cowl bar have?

E) What is the final wheelbase?

F) How long are those shocks (eye to eye)?

Heres a picture of where I am at with it:

wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Sick build! I love it!
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #48
RCC Addict

whoa... two bad ass builds... same truck... wonder squirrel where is your build thread please?
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Thanks guys! Wonder squirrell, i winged all that stuff. But if you really want i can get ya the measurements... When it's finished :twisted Not really i just haven't had time, well i have, but i haven't had a ruler or the rig in front of me and taken the time to do so.

But anywho, i got a bit more done am in a huge hurry (supposed to have left my house 5 min ago )

Hope you enjoy!

My rigged up rear link mount for the time being
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
whoa... two bad ass builds... same truck... wonder squirrel where is your build thread please?
Sorry theres no build thread for it at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
Thanks guys! Wonder squirrell, i winged all that stuff. But if you really want i can get ya the measurements... When it's finished :twisted Not really i just haven't had time, well i have, but i haven't had a ruler or the rig in front of me and taken the time to do so.

If its not too much trouble the measurements would be great. I could totally wing it as well at this point, I just like the lines you have there.

From this downward angle, it looks like the front tires will start to contact other stuff while turning/ flexing the suspension. I'm hoping to avoid that (thats why I was curious what the front end width was). I'll be using Axial axles so I think they are slightly wider than those..?

Also if you strip it down later for paint, snap a few pictures of the bare chassis before/ after paint
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Will do, I'll send ya a PM over the weekend. I normally wouldn't but the Lovell rigs are too bad ass and id love to see another rc version. The axials are wider and I didn't have any rubbing what so ever with them, but that's because I built the rig around them, I drew up chassis width and everything regarding the axial width, full flex, link spacing etc. I did feel they were a scosh too wide tho compared to 1:1 dimensions. When all said and done there won't be any rubbing with the black widow axles. The main issue I see right now are the tires rubbing the shocks at full turn which I hate. That top view does make it look worse than it is. However, I haven't focused on that at all thus far. I'm mainly focused on gettin the rig done and then combatting it. Wider hexes should eliminate the rubbing & I can always bring the shocks in closer to the chassis. The fenders on the 1:1 are also cut way more than what I have done so worse comes to worse I can do that as well. But if you make the front end too skiny to short cut around those issues it will look stupid and out of scale IMO. A lot of thought and brain storming went into the front end width, too skiny the grille/headlights will look out of proportion, too wide you'll never get around the rubbing. Hopefully the dimensions will help ya out.

Sorry, just got back from a birthday bash at a sushi bar and am on my phone. I don't like sea food, so I made up for it with saaaaaki. Hope it makes sense, good night all.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Mmmm so sexy, ready to rock for 2013 KOH. Get em Brad and Roger!!!! Hoping to see a podium this year matching the new number.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Welp, harv here comin in hot with another update for anyone who cares. 24 m2.5 & 6 m2 nuts later, panels are almost ready to be mounted. I'm waiting on 6 more m2.5 nuts that were on BO, all i need is 2 out of that package. Those, and a couple more mounting tabs and the chassis is DONE! Panels will be mounted with the scale hex hardware.

After driving it some more I decided there isn't enough top end powa in the lil brushed motor. I want roost and speed! Pro4 and MMP has taken over those duties, we'll see if these fancy axles can hold up Trans modded with 32p 60T spur, 32p 5mm bore 12t novak pinion. MIP drive shafts are in, should be bullet proof in those areas, crossing my fingers on the axles.

I'd really like to run a spare tire out back, but i don't think it will happen..
There's more progress on the styrene/interior since this pic, but that will wait. Getting close.

Oh, also a shame Lovell Racing ended up with a DNS at koh, i heard a broken crank shaft in the motor, then they fixed it, and still had a DNS? No idea.
Attached Images

Last edited by dirk379; 02-14-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Amazing fab work and beautiful lookin rig.
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
Welp, harv here comin in hot with another update for anyone who cares. 24 m2.5 & 6 m2 nuts later, panels are almost ready to be mounted. I'm waiting on 6 more m2.5 nuts that were on BO, all i need is 2 out of that package. Those, and a couple more mounting tabs and the chassis is DONE! Panels will be mounted with the scale hex hardware.

After driving it some more I decided there isn't enough top end powa in the lil brushed motor. I want roost and speed! Pro4 and MMP has taken over those duties, we'll see if these fancy axles can hold up Trans modded with 32p 60T spur, 32p 5mm bore 12t novak pinion. MIP drive shafts are in, should be bullet proof in those areas, crossing my fingers on the axles.

I'd really like to run a spare tire out back, but i don't think it will happen..
There's more progress on the styrene/interior since this pic, but that will wait. Getting close.

Oh, also a shame Lovell Racing ended up with a DNS at koh, i heard a broken crank shaft in the motor, then they fixed it, and still had a DNS? No idea.

I care you did an exceptional job on this!!!!
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #56
Metal shaper

Looks great. My only concern is the spare. For me it sits to flat and high. Maybe you could lose the material directly above the tail lights to allow the tire to taper down a bit.
Great execution thus far.
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Dirk, x2 what Clay said...the spare needs to be lower. The overall rig is great, Keep up the good work. I think I subscribed weekly, so I'll be critiquing you by the end of the week! Great work on this though!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

How much steering throw are ou getting with those axles? This thing looks awesom man keep it up!!
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon View Post
Amazing fab work and beautiful lookin rig.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
I care you did an exceptional job on this!!!!
Thanks! Glad to know, it's you guys who keep me going. If it weren't for the build thread this thing would probably take me a year to get done

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterFab View Post
Looks great. My only concern is the spare. For me it sits to flat and high. Maybe you could lose the material directly above the tail lights to allow the tire to taper down a bit.
Great execution thus far.
Thanks clay. Well, I'm 95% sure that i won't be incorporating a spare into this build. I decided the same thing, looks flat and way up there. The only way to do it would be to chop the rear upper bar out, mod the bracing, and cut the tail gate to the new rear bar. For as much work as it will take, i don't think it's worth it. Plus it adds a bunch of weight where i don't want it. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Dirk, x2 what Clay said...the spare needs to be lower. The overall rig is great, Keep up the good work. I think I subscribed weekly, so I'll be critiquing you by the end of the week! Great work on this though!
Thanks bulldog, almost didn't recognize ya with the new av

I've got 3 panels left to mount. I should have brazed these nuts on from the get go, it would have saved me a ton of time. As most of the build has been, it's a learning process and the next one should go by much smoother and quicker. I've brazed my fair share of chassis, but none ever went this far with detail and complexity-not that it's something mind boggling, the other guys just make it look super easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanx View Post
How much steering throw are ou getting with those axles? This thing looks awesom man keep it up!!
Hmm i have no idea, are you looking for a degree? I have a picture that shows max throw if that helps.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #60
RCC Addict

beautiful build. everything seems just right. With all the time you have put into this, you should try and rework the spare area, so you are 100% happy.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote

Project Lovell Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winner! - *Giveaway* H.A.R.D. Racing Comm Lathe from Team Brood Racing EddieO General Crawlers 584 01-14-2016 07:17 PM
Winner - *Giveaway* H.A.R.D. Racing Comm Lathe from Team Brood Racing - Part 2 EddieO General Crawlers 365 07-08-2011 06:06 PM
JPH Racing Losi Project JPH Racing Team Losi Comp Crawler 22 06-25-2010 09:17 AM
scania stax concept racing team #97 racing truck only SEMIJOE Non Crawler RC's 96 10-12-2009 04:53 AM
Lovell Racing Ranger slugzracing Large Scale Rigs 76 04-26-2008 07:20 PM