Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: NHMaxx's 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser TT edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default NHMaxx's 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser TT edition

Ok here's the build plan. I ditched the honcho body off my SCX10. I got a Nikko FJ cruiser body from a nice member hear willing to give up one of his projects after I pestered the Wanted board for a long time. The price was great becuase of some minor damage to the body were the original mounting posts were. See the dark filler in the pictures
Here is a link to my Honcho build
http://http://www.rccrawler.com/foru...cho-build.html

The front end has been shortened by about 1/4 inch and then the rear was adjusted to have a 10 7/8 wheel base. Ill post up more pictures of the chassis later.

Here is the body and other parts ready for paint.

It's going to get a full coat of red paint to make a 2012 Trails Team FJC. The other parts will get shot with satin or flat black so it will resemble this
NHMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

First coat of red is on. The body needs a bit of sanding here and there for a third coat and then some clear. Next step is to tape off the black areas, sand, and paint. I'm going to try some satin and flat clear coat to mix up the blacks a bit. The paint laid on better than I thought especially since I had to spray outside last night when it was about 20 degrees. I let the fumes settle for a minute or two and then propped it near the wood stove to dry.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: NHMaxx's 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser TT edition

sick cant wait to c more
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Not sure what happened with the clear coat but it didn't lay down very well. The nice shinny areas are patchy with lots of rough feeling spots. Might have been an old can. I'm going to sand it out and try it again.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Very nice, I am very interested in how your paint turns out. Any more details on the paint used and any specials things you did to prep the body?
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I'm no professional at this. This is the first hard body I have painted but seems to be going well.
Here are the steps so far:
Wet sanded the body with a 320 sponge pad from Lowes
Sprayed two coats of Valspar plastic primer
Wet sand with same sponge
Two coats of red Krylon enamel spray paint
Wet sand
One coat of red
Two coats of Krylon enamel clear coat
these didn't lay on very well so I wet sanded them off and I'm just going to put a third coat of red on and call it good because its just going to be beat up in the rocks.

The black areas will get two coats of satin black enamel and then finish it up with a light coat of textured black paint to make it look like the plastic trim on the 1:1.

The whole painting process takes me a while since its so cold outside right now. I paint outside quickly and them let the fumes settle and put the body in front of the wood stove and hope my wife doesn't smell it when she gets home from work. Ill have pictures up soon.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Awesome thanks man I appreciate the response. I'll be checking back, keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Little paint update. I got the red shot and all the parts back on with a fresh coat of paint. Next step is to tape it off and shoot the black on the body. Maybe tomorrow afternoon. Also I propped it on the chassis. The wheel base is about 10 5/8. I think I'll drop it back on the Flat Irons or go even smaller because the Rock Lox look huge! The back end won't be so high when the battery is back in too. Front number will eventually be the Dingo bumper with some major modifications in the plans. I'm thinking about using the new Axial JK bumper With the swing out tire carrier on the rear. I still need to figure out how I want to mount the body and drop the suspention a cm or two.

Last edited by NHMaxx; 01-03-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Nice so far! I painted mine today too haha. Sticking with axial axles or going narrower?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Ill stick with axial axles for now. I'm back in school so money is tight and j can't justify spending too much on my hobby. It's my only crawler too so I want to keep it as capable as possible. I want to get get rid of my emaxx and pick up a wraith to thrash on. Then ill to more scale with the fj. I'd love to use the new 1.7 scale wheels but need to have some more tire options as the rock lox is 4.1 inches tall. I want something around 3.8 so it fits better.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
RCC Addict

you could stretch a 1.5 rc4wd tire onto the 1.7 rim. i've stretched 1.5's onto 1.9 rims before. The rock crushers are about 3.8"
oh and if you're looking for a narrowing possibilities, i have some tango down rims i'd sell/trade. I think they narrow the width quite a lot. Also tamiya hummer wheels. Also HPI and SDI 4x4 make negative offset rims but non beadlocks.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I like the stitching the 1.5 tire on a 1.7 wheel. I think I'm going to put my flat irons on for now go play for a bit.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Paint update:
Got all the black laid on and some details on the mirrors.
I think I'm done with paint because this is not a shelf queen and its only going to get used.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty good. Do you get a lot of rub with those big ol' tires? Oh, and dDon't forget to paint the wings on the bumpers black too!
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

The body is not mounted yet. It's just sitting on the sliders. I've wanted to build this thing for a while so I got to painting because I couldn't wait. Now I have to figure out what I want to do with the chassis and how I want to attach the body. I think I'm going to sub 4 inch tires. I haven't painted the silver on the front bumper because I haven't decided if its staying or not. I have some other bumpers I may use. I'm going to stare at it for a while and decide if I put the effort into painting it or cut it off for some aftermarket bumpers.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Looking good. Anymore progress on this??
yotawheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
RCC Addict

needs some 1.9 dirt grabbers
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
~THE SCALE SHOP~

you cant go wrong with red with black accents. just so sinister. any plans to murder out the wheels?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

I have a soft spot for TT FJ Cruisers... Nicely done. Tires look a bit too big for that body but that is just my opinion. Cool rig regardless. I would say black out those silver bumper accents and black the wheels. Red/Black= sinister as Stang Killa SS said.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote

NHMaxx's 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser TT edition - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Hilux - Bruiser Edition Blazerbogger 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 09-05-2010 08:03 PM
Limited edition Axial Toyota Truggy luv2ridemx Axial SCX-10 18 08-19-2010 06:04 PM
The 2012 Pelosi GTxi SS/RT Sport Edition Moondoggie Chit Chat 3 05-20-2009 07:25 AM
Toyota FJ Cruiser Maciek 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 09-12-2008 03:49 PM