Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project: TJ Mutt - Mattzilla + R2J + GCM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Project: TJ Mutt - Mattzilla + R2J + GCM

Almost 3 years ago I started my "Project: LJ Mutt" based on a Nikko TJ body. I ended up selling the project before I finished it, and regretted doing so soon after. I couldn't track down where it ended up, so I went looking for another Nikko TJ, and found one in the classifieds for this forum.

This build will sort of be a follow up to the LJ Mutt build, but with 1.9's and flat fenders. Something a little more scale, and a little toned down compared to a TTC rig on 55's.

Got the body in and started mocking everything up:

It may not be obvious at first, but I extended the wheelbase of the body by moving the fenders outward. The front fender was moved forward to be closer to the location of a 1:1 TJ:

and the rear fender was moved back so that the back of the fender lines up with the back edge of the body:

The fenders were cut off with thread, then some filler ABS was added and glued with some ABS Cement. The excess will be sanded back and smoothed out.

Also as you can see in the pics, the tube work will hopefully match the body lines pretty close.

As far as specs, we're looking at:

Front Axle:
GCM Metalhead Steel axle housing
Wraith C-Hubs and knuckles and Axial XR10 Universals

Rear Axle:
GCM Metalhead Steel axle housing
Topcad Lockout and SCX10 Straight axles

Stock Axial SCX Trans (plans for steel internals later)

Wheels:
GCM ReGrind Limited Edition 1.9 beadlocks

Tires:
Axial Maxxis Trepador 1.9 tires

Chassis:
Mattzilla Custom Cage Work
R2J Custom C-Channel Chassis rails

Electronics:
CC Sidewinder (V1)
Titan 21T 550 (for now)
FlySky GT3B

Misc:
Harley HD Hardware
Custom Links
Custom Skid Plate and bracing

This build will be slow because of my school/work schedule, but I will update as progress is made.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 07-22-2013 at 08:07 AM.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #2

Default Re: Project: "TJ Mutt"

That's looking great. What are you using for the tubing? I have read a few different things online and it seems to be the general consensus to use brake line. Still looking for ideas for my LCC build I'm working on now. But I've always liked the look of a tube chassis. Really like the "Armadillo Armor" look as I used to crawl 1:1 with a lot of guys that had that similar look. Want to maybe do an XJ body with some tubing later on once I learn some more things lol.
klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Tubing is all 3/16 brakeline, only because it's somewhat easy to find locally. If you are trying brazing for the first time, I recommend reading the brazing threads and watching the brazing video. Practice on some basic shapes and get used to fish-mouthing the tubes for the best fitment.

There are a lot of TJ builds popping up around here, most of them chop the fenders completely off, so I wanted to keep this kind of look to be a little unique. But also, I've been planning this build since a little after I sold the LJ mutt project.

Haven't decided on color, but very likely keeping it black. I'm thinking maybe flat black on the hood, fenders and cage work, and glossy on the rest. Very small chance i would go with gunmetal or steel grey though for a little contrast. Not into the bright or light colors on this build.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Small update:

Got the chassis together, and started looking at wheelbase and shock location. Wheelbase is pretty close to 11", but once shock location is nailed down I will fine tune that.

Chassis was custom made by R2J to be similar to the SCX10 chassis but shortened in the middle to match the shorter body. Top notch work, thanks Shon!

I need to figure out the rear shocks, since even at this angle, they are too tall. I am thinking I will widen the mounting point to sit in the wheel well rather than try to stuff them under the body.

More to come...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The first photos look soooo mean and sexy. I know it is prob just mock-up height but Love the low stance!
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
The first photos look soooo mean and sexy. I know it is prob just mock-up height but Love the low stance!
Me too. I'm going to try to keep it nice and low. That means I'll probably go droop style suspension. With the steel axles, it should help the droop to work. Need to raid the pens at work for some springs...
Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
ahhh S^*T

oh boy another one!! watchin!

and thats a sik chassis rite thur
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

There have been quite a few TJs lately... I will try to be different, but stay to the original plan.

This chassis is awesome. Made from 3/8 x 3/8 x .035 wall square tubing, bent, rolled, welded and cut down the middle. R2J does awesome work for sure. Honestly, I could have cut down an axial chassis, but I would have done a hack job trying to put it back together.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Looking good Jens!
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Playing a little more with ride height. This is pretty much where I want it.

This is with the rear of the chassis sitting right on the rear upper link truss, so the end ride height will be just a tiny bit higher.
This is pretty much the final wheelbase as well, with the rear perfectly centered and the front just a little pushed out (steering is going to be fun to figure out).
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Stance looks great - reminds me of BlueTorch Fab early TJ builds.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Small update:

Got my GCM Limited Edition ReGrind wheels in and installed:

These wheels are awesome! They go together easy and the bead holds extremely well. I also got a couple more scale points with the brake hub.

I was trying to mess with shocks again to see if I could get this down more, but I have decided I need to go with a cantilever droop setup in the rear. I can't think of a better way to get the travel and ride height the way I want without having shocks sticking through the back of the body.

Once I get ride height sorted, I will be able to mount the body and start on the transmission and electronics.

More to come...
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Points for bling! Nice wheels!
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Update (sort of...)

I have enlisted the amazing Lue at mattzilla to do the chassis for this build. Soon after the last update I sent the body off, and he got to work on it. Here are pics he's texted me of the build over the past few months:

As usual Lue is making an extremely well done chassis, and I am honored that he would take the time to do one. Everything is straight, and square, and is exactly what I had in mind.
He's working on the last few touches right now, and I hope to have it back by the end of the month. Well worth the wait.

Now, the question is: what color should I go with for the body? The cage will be black, so I was thinking another dark color as well, something like gunmetal grey with flat black fenders and hood? Any ideas?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Getting Closer:

Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

things looking good
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Thanks for yr patience my brother & please don't tell anyone that this project has been go'n on for over 6 months now.....
mattzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Six months isn't long. I waited 9 months for a baby once!

I like how it all bolts together! Not easy engineering there. Definitely a lot of time hidden in this build. If anyone is waiting for a custom build (from any of the builders on the forum), realize that this type of quality doesn't come quickly. The fabricators in this business have a reputation for putting out quality work as fast as they can. They don't cut corners, and the end product speaks for itself.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Hahahaahaa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post

I like how it all bolts together! Not easy engineering there. Definitely a lot of time hidden in this build. If anyone is waiting for a custom build (from any of the builders on the forum), realize that this type of quality doesn't come quickly. The fabricators in this business have a reputation for putting out quality work as fast as they can. They don't cut corners, and the end product speaks for itself.
mattzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzilla View Post
Thanks for yr patience my brother & please don't tell anyone that this project has been go'n on for over 6 months now.....
I think you just did
No worries on the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakachille View Post
things looking good
Thanks! Shon @ R2J gets credit for the chassis rails, Lue @ Mattzilla gets credit for the chassis tube work, the axles are GCM Metalheads (which I helped design) with XR10 mod, as well as the wheels are from GCM, and I am going to do some custom body work when the chassis is done (think drop interior, functional doors/gate/hood, etc). There's where the "mutt" part of this build comes in, it's a collaboration of many different builders. But don't think this is going to be a shelf queen... this will be driven hard, scratched up, used and abused, but it's being built to take it and keep going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post

Lue gets the credit for the tube work, but the way it bolts together was my idea. I wanted to secure the body with the tube work, as well as have the tube work fully supported by the chassis rails. The reason I picked Lue for this build was his attention to detail, and his ability to make things strong, straight, and beautiful. One reason I am not worried about how long it's been taking is because of how long it will take me to finish the body work when it gets back. I plan on some unique mods, and they take time to get right. I also need to figure out the rear suspension, the tcase/trans, electronics layout, lights, etc. In the end though, it will all be worth it to have something extremely well done, and one of a kind.

Project: TJ Mutt - Mattzilla + R2J + GCM - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project: "LJ Mutt" - 2.2 Stretched TJ TTC Build monkeyracer 2.2 Scale Rigs 13 01-25-2011 10:52 AM
My Mutt street bike project JohnRobHolmes Chit Chat 2 09-20-2009 09:10 AM