Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: NewBright JK Build GCM chassis Xr steering!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default NewBright JK Build GCM chassis Xr steering!

Ok so I have been gathering the parts for this build for quite some time and finally have actually put some time and effort into this build. For the longest I didnt know whether to build another NB 4dr JK since I already have one...but after getting as far as I have I think I may have to have 2

Parts list:
GCM Cross Canyon Chassis, Front 3link/panhard rear 4-linked and T-case
Custom Wraith axles (Scx10 width) by ScaleReady Overdrive Front, Underdrive Rear
VP 1.9" OMF Scale wheels with Pitbulls w/ CI Foams
Hobbico CS170 steering servo
Cheapy Venom Fireball 55t for now
HH BRXL ESC
VP Rigid Light Bar and JK Mounts
HobbyKing Scale LED's (10 total)

Want list:
Axial Icon shocks or Gmade piggybacks
HH 55t Torquemaster
Cage to put my brazing skills to the test
Wheel wells
Boat sides
Basically stuff I have to fabricate or wait for at the moment lol

Heres where I started, got the chassis put together, links made, motor, tranny and servo installed. Was waiting on parts like drivelines, wheels etc.

Last edited by Shinjari; 04-25-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: NewBright JK Build GCM chassis Xr steering!

More parts came in such as my black hardware for my VP OMF's, the driveshafts, Wraith Knuckles, XR10 Universals and rear 4 link mount. Did the Wraith/XR10 steering mod and now its a complete roller! Just need to install electrics and make the tubes for my links, dont foresee the allthread sliding too well exposed like that LOL.

I gotta say VP should offer the black hardware for these wheels as they are just plain SICK!!!

Really want new shocks....those ax10 shocks up front are so leaky and out of place

Flexy though

No to find time to strip the stupid New bright stickers and paint and paint this body as well as figure out how I'm going to mount the darn thing lol.

Last edited by Shinjari; 01-19-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Looking good man.
I really like the stance & wheelbase. I agree on the black hardware with those wheels...the combo looks great!

I'm sub'd to see it come together
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

What length are your links? I got mine perfect for wheelbase then noticed if I move it forward the shock tower fits perfect like yours very good job! Only prob is it throws all my links off front and rear
mtgrizzlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Don't recall the front lowers since they are custom but the rear lowers are 91mm
Old 01-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Having a tough time deciding on which shocks to go with.

Gmade xd aeration or diaphram in 93mm length. The ax10 shocks up front are 103 and jack the front up giving it a prerunner like stance that Im not sure I like.

Also no piggybacks because they are way too big and would look out of place.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I would do the Gmade aerations. I just built some Piggybacks and they feel super smooth (too big for a 1.9 IMO).
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

I would go with SCX10 shocks or Proline and use the Team AE green slim like was posted in the shock question thread. I posted a response to your question on there.

Looking good! Those are some long links in the front, but I'm definitely digging the look! I'm even considering cutting the fender off of my Brute now.

Last edited by R2j; 01-22-2013 at 01:03 PM.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Joshua View Post
I would do the Gmade aerations. I just built some Piggybacks and they feel super smooth (too big for a 1.9 IMO).
Ordered the Aerations, will see how they perform. My buddy Prifral uses the piggybacks on Mongo and they look right...but Mongo is HUGE! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
I would go with SCX10 shocks or Proline and use the Team AE green slim like was posted in the shock question thread. I posted a response to your question on there.

Looking good! Those are some long links in the front, but I'm definitely digging the look! I'm even considering cutting the fender off of my Brute now.
Yeah R2J I needed a new set of shocks but for my sons rig and my other 2 rigs that use stock scx10 shocks I'm going to try that green slime trick....each rig has 1 leaky shock.

As for the links up front, yeah they are a little long, that where they lined up based on the location of the t-case mount where the lower links line up. Also its based on how the body sits on the chassis, the rear shock hoops fit perfectly in the gap behind the rear seats which push the front axle way out there.

I may be chopping up this body/interior and maybe that will allow me to move the front axle back and the rear axle out more. I just need to get over the fear of chopping up a body lol.

thinking something like

and I do really like this one, and I believe r2j is making one like it

Last edited by Shinjari; 01-23-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #10

that 2 door is friggin bad a$$!!!! that would be sweet on my dingo chassis.
villainous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Yep! The slim works good!

I would leave the body where it's at, I like the look and usually prefer the front axle more forward on my rigs.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Yep! The slim works good!

I would leave the body where it's at, I like the look and usually prefer the front axle more forward on my rigs.
I like the position of the body also. I just am unsure what direction to go with for the body. I already have a 4dr JK posted below, not sure I need two

Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
RCC Addict

So I took some pics of the front axle with the XR10/Wraith steering mod done. Looks pretty clean =)

Also got some sweet parts in yesterday as well. New (to me) VP omfs (for TJ build later down the line) and my Gmade Aeration shocks.

Built a pair of the shocks and they go together real nice. Have to build them a certain way to get Low pressure (soft/little rebound) which took a try or two. But they look and run smooth! I did lose the 10mm of travel switching from a 103 to a 93mm shock. Using the 103mm shocks I could flex on another pitbull tire in front and the rear would stay flat, but now the rear lifts slightly. Maybe adding weights to the wheels will make a difference.

ENough rambling heres some pics.

Yes I know...the body needs some cleaning up, the previous owner did a hack job on the stock fenders.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
RCC Addict

SO I got to wrench on this some more today. Finished the rear set of shocks and they look sweet! They are a little stiffer than the stock scx10 shocks but it could also be the fact that my wheels have no weights in them at all. Look great and are smooth as silk. =)

I also started some body work today. Either going for a 4dr brute look or if that fails....just an open top with cage work....
I also wanted to do that sweet hood everyone's been doing lately. Well I started to cut it and was nearly 85% done when disaster struck....There was so little material left fr*om the previous owner hacking off the fender flares that it snapped ><

Now I have to get me some styrene earlier than expected to attempt and repair it. the plastic 'remembered' the new kink/bend so its not staying where it originally was without some effort. Hopefully I can get it back to 'normal'
Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Bummer man! I'm sure that you can save it with styrene...but you may have to do some steel rock armor on the fenders now. ;)

Shocks look nice, stiffer might be good by the time you get to your finished weight on the rig.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I was really trying to keep this rig light and was planning some styrene fenders. We will see how my first styrene experience goes. I got plastruct, but didnt notice the bottle didn't have a brush...so now I have to wait to get a brush ><
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Got some work done on it today. First time using styrene and Ten-x. Turned out fairly well. I reinforced the other side as well.

Much better =)

Also did some interior work to get the top to fit like I wanted.

Here's an under the hood shot. I think I may get rid of the slipper so get that extra 5mm or so of room since I want to stuff my electronics/batteries behind the spur gear and can use all the space I can get. Need to clean up the hood/frame a little too since the cuts on the front look like crap compared to the sides.

Thats all for today, styrene was a bit easier to work with than I was expecting
Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #18

looks like this is coming along! looks great!
villainous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
KMS
Rock Crawler

Yes it does thanks for sharing ,,,KMS,,,
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by villainous View Post
looks like this is coming along! looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
Yes it does thanks for sharing ,,,KMS,,,
Thanks guys! Yeah its coming along great....I think now comes the 'slow' part....body work. I'll keep taking photos and updating as best as I can.

NewBright JK Build GCM chassis Xr steering! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stelerzman Jk build with GCM chassis stelerzman 1.9 Scale Rigs 44 01-29-2014 07:18 PM