Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Sam's Baja Bug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Sam's Baja Bug

Well guys, I have been itching to drive this thing some more so I headed to Lucia Falls here in WA. Yesterday I also did some painting and shock and tire foam tuning.

The tuning tweaks worked well and the bug climbs even better now. One thing I am noticing though is there is a lot of slop in the "hammer" t-case. I didn't notice this before I ran it, hopefully it doesn't grenade on me.

So here are some pics of todays wheelin. This place has lots of elevation change and drop offs, not to mention raging water just off the cliffs. Had second thoughts about running the little class 1 rig where I was but it did just fine.

sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

Thought Id post up some pics of yesterdays comp that I pirated from Warpig. Thanks Tim for posting these up, they turned out great as usual.

IMG_5617 by warpig56, on Flickr

IMG_5618 by warpig56, on Flickr

IMG_5619 by warpig56, on Flickr

IMG_5625 by warpig56, on Flickr

Last edited by sam63; 03-11-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Just saw the scores from the last comp- looks like you cleaned up!

Good work man - seems like a real performer!
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Glad you enjoyed the pics Sam! Great little rig.....I got to drive it a bit and it's very predictably and stable. Very nice fab work as well.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Just killer, I love it!

Great job on the tube work!
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Just saw the scores from the last comp- looks like you cleaned up!

Good work man - seems like a real performer!
Thank you John, I think it was all luck really

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Glad you enjoyed the pics Sam! Great little rig.....I got to drive it a bit and it's very predictably and stable. Very nice fab work as well.
Coming from you that means a lot, thanks. Great work on the courses too by the way. The class 2 course you "widened" up for class 3 was TIGHT! And by tight I mean that figuratively and literally

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
Just killer, I love it!

Great job on the tube work!
Thank you!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

This really came out nice man - Wife is wanting me to build her a Bug sometime soon.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Any updates on the little guy? Looks like its being doing pretty well on the local comp scene.
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Any updates on the little guy? Looks like its being doing pretty well on the local comp scene.
Hey there Jon, how ya been? The bug works so good it practically drives itself haha. The only thing I have changed on it since the first pics is some orange rear springs and the new pitbull growlers. The growlers work great on wet slick rock which we have lots of here in the NW. I like the look of the claws much better but mine were already getting bald

Last edited by sam63; 08-14-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

Ran the bug on class 2 courses today and it held its own. Little guy does work Big thanks to Summitcrawler for taking some great pics today.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

It didn't just hold it's own, you kicked our butts! That little thing WORKS! Nice job today.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

With the SWSC coming up at the end of the month I wanted to go though the little bug to make sure its dialed and looking good. Ended up taking it down to chassis and going with satin black. There were some body repairs that need to be made as well. No pics of those, just gluing the cracks and backing them up with small styrene strips to reinforce it all. Repainted the body with the same green and did a couple coats of clear to help it stay nice, maybe lol. I might paint the beadlock rings black but not sure. Get a new holmes hobbies team flow 27t in the mail tomorrow and we should be good to go

Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Looking pretty slick man, good luck in nats.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
Looking pretty slick man, good luck in nats.
Thanks Justin, are you going to be there?

Got a shot today after work that I thought I would share from Dougan falls.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #75
Rock Crawler

The little bug that could

A little recap on last weekend at the SWSC in cedar city, Utah.

The event was set up with 3 courses and the top 5 drivers advance to a finals course for each class. The first course in street class started off with a bang as I hit one of the first gates, it was a somewhat simple bonus gate. Just had too much going on in my head I guess but from there I started to drive like normal. When the top 5 where announced I found myself in the middle, 3rd. I was hoping for a really tough finals course so I could make up some ground on the top 2 guys, MG200 and HOtwheels000. Lucky for me it was and they oddly hit some gates. I ran clean but for rolling off a ledge but quickly winched and managed to stay on track. The other thing that made it difficult was the 8 minute time limit. Locally we run 15 so you really had to hustle in between gates. I kept thinking hustle and flow in head, kinda got stuck in there lol.

The little bug worked great. Ran a new holmes hobby team pro Flow motor, 27t. Great combo of power and smooth start up with a little esc tuning. One thing I may change for next time I crawl on such high traction rock is the rear foams, go a bit firmer. The grippy rock would get you in situations you would never see here in the PNW.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #76
RCC Addict

That's awesome! Good job Sam. Any vids out there yet from nats?
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Nice Driving Sam!! Check out Harley Designs on youtube!! His C1 video is posted!
ToyZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #78
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
That's awesome! Good job Sam. Any vids out there yet from nats?
Thanks, it was nothing, really

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyZuki View Post
Nice Driving Sam!! Check out Harley Designs on youtube!! His C1 video is posted!
Thanks, you too Ben! Seeing those videos makes me want to go back, such awesome terrain. I could play there for days
Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

Hey Sam, I love this build! Congrats on the great driving too. Aside from the SWSC footage I wish there was more video of it in action. I had a few questions I was hoping you could answer:

1.) What is the wheelbase of the bug and also of your C2 truck (is there a build thread for this?) that you drove at the SWSC?

2.) I may have missed it, but did you end up sticking with the flipped t-case for different drive ratios or did you go back to axial od/ud?

3.) If you could go back and rebuild it with hindsight 20/20, what would you do differently if anything at all?

Thanks!
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Space View Post
Hey Sam, I love this build! Congrats on the great driving too. Aside from the SWSC footage I wish there was more video of it in action. I had a few questions I was hoping you could answer:

1.) What is the wheelbase of the bug and also of your C2 truck (is there a build thread for this?) that you drove at the SWSC?

2.) I may have missed it, but did you end up sticking with the flipped t-case for different drive ratios or did you go back to axial od/ud?

3.) If you could go back and rebuild it with hindsight 20/20, what would you do differently if anything at all?

Thanks!
I had to check both rigs, been awhile I guess. The bug is 11.25" and the C2 is 11 7/8"

The T-case is flipped for a big OD on the front end. I have actually had this hurt me in low traction climbs because it is always breaking traction. But having it turn as well as it does still makes it worth it.

If I built it again I would do a slightly different front end set up. Basically a higher mounting point for the 3-link on the axle truss and different panhard bar mount and steering servo orientation. That's about the only thing that really "bugs" me at the moment....but in all reality its about as dialed in as a C1 can get as far as Im concerned.

Sam's Baja Bug - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slash/ baja bug hende Non Crawler RC's 15 07-14-2010 06:18 PM