Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Sam's Baja Bug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Sam's Baja Bug

Hey there kids, first build thread on here so go easy on me, Im still a noob as they say.

Goal here is to build a fun class 1 scaler that performs well. At NWSN one of the rigs that really stood out for me was Diffusers luv bug so I owe the theme of this build to him really. The body is a Tamiya sand scorcher, super light and thin feeling, hope it holds up.

Electronics will be Tekin FXR esc, HH 13t CM, 4PL tx/rx, Hitec 7950 steering servo with a CC BEC, solar 772 servo winch on 3s through a tekin B1R esc and finally I will be using max amps 860 mah lipos.

For a quick and easy starting point I picked up a dingo kit. I will be using RC4wds hammer t-case flipped for a big overdrive on the front end. Axles will have the good steel gears and hot racing lockers. Right now the front end has the XR10 mod but have ax10 super 300s coming so I will finally get to use the VP 8 deg hubs and knuckles I ordered for my wraith before I knew any better. For weight and durability both axles will have beef tubes, the only way to go I think. Drive lines will be mips but will be using stock ones for mock up.

Shocks will be proline scaler shocks and links will be 3/16 ti with revo ends.

So here are some pics of wasted weekend number 1 . Did the same chop as Dan but added a full inch instead of 3/4, dont want to bend the rules too much, haha. This was my first attempt at working with styrene and I must say I have a new found appreciation for a lot of guys on here that make it look easy. Right now Im just trying to get it to stick and body filler will be my friend later I guess.

sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #2

Default Re: Sam's Baja Bug

Looks good so far! What did you use to waterproof your servo?
shizzle8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle8787 View Post
Looks good so far! What did you use to waterproof your servo?
Seems there are lot of differant methods. I think the best way is take them apart and spray the board with conformal coating a few times really good letting it dry between each coating. Before I put it back together I spray it with corrosion x. The last step gets a bit messy but its worth it. The factory o-rings dont keep water out like some say. To find out more do a search on here. The information on here can be mind bottling some times
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks like your on a roll with some really nice part choices. Your research has paid off big time.

You styrene work is looking great as well. Keep I up. As far as sticking I recommend the green tamiya thin cement (takes longer but strong as it welds deeper) , tenax7, and ProWeld. A way to get good seems is pressure. If you go to harbor frieght and invest in about 20-30 of a variety of clips and claps you will be happy you did. On important seam get everything ready, clip all together and leave it alone for a while so,it sets up with the pressure. Also some fat rubber bands are handy. But if glue hits them the will melt into the body so beware.

For added strength in the roof just add a nice layer. To get the right shape cut and heat with heat gun.

Anyways great start to another great bug build.

Wasted weekend...I think not! Lol this is good clean fun.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the styrene tips, much to learn I have yes. So here are some pics of what I got done today. Need to figure out a spare tire carrier and start on the interior cage so I can get the rear shocks tied in. Also need to build some tube fenders to protect my modded fenders for the correct tire coverage.

Spur gear ended up through the hood, just as I kinda feared. Will have to build a little cowl or scoop, not something you would ever see on a rear engine car but oh well. Im putting a spare tire where the engine should be anyways, gotta mix it up right?

Ride height will be pretty slammed, I prefer stability over ground clearance. The front end is close to desired ride and the rear will come up a little bit.

Still lots to do but its coming along, I cant wait to drive this little beast!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Subscribed to see where this goes. Something about the bug! I'm having flashbacks to my Monster Beetle 23 years ago! I loved that thing! Keep up the good work.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Subscribed to see where this goes. Something about the bug! I'm having flashbacks to my Monster Beetle 23 years ago! I loved that thing! Keep up the good work.
Thank you, maybe I can call it monster bug or something like that. Ive never owned a VW but have a good friend who loves them. I just couldnt make myself build a jeep or toyota like most, not that anything is wrong with that ya know, just sayin.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Looks awesome man

So, will it be red?
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Sam nice start!

Mine just went back to Ryan (Baller).

The front fender if you want a little more room you can heat (gently) the front wing to bring it up for clearance. I would heat and bend and heat and bend to get the room I wanted.
Your solutions look pretty similar to what I dealt with. I did flip the tranny to get room and not have to cut the hood like you ran into. A real small scoop would hide that, or a little bit of a large louvre haha.

Can't wait to see where this goes and hope to see it next time I'm down or a few of you guys head up here for a comp or 2. Get Corey off his ass....
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Looks awesome man

So, will it be red?
Thank you! Red seems to be an on going theme, funny I never thought of it actually for this little guy. Maybe a rust color, like the rust my 66 ford has been collecting since I got into RC crawling 7 months ago .

So, speaking of old fords, how has the 34d been treatin ya?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Nice Job keep it up!!
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
Sam nice start!

Mine just went back to Ryan (Baller).

The front fender if you want a little more room you can heat (gently) the front wing to bring it up for clearance. I would heat and bend and heat and bend to get the room I wanted.
Your solutions look pretty similar to what I dealt with. I did flip the tranny to get room and not have to cut the hood like you ran into. A real small scoop would hide that, or a little bit of a large louvre haha.

Can't wait to see where this goes and hope to see it next time I'm down or a few of you guys head up here for a comp or 2. Get Corey off his ass....
I saw that you had sold it, I really wanted to buy a good car for class 1 but they are hard to come by unless you are a true baller it seems, haha.

There was some serious head scratching going on when it came to the body. I had the flip the tranny idea right after the hood was cut out actually, like most of my good ideas, too little too late

The way it sits now it super dumped and on articulation it works fine with keeping the front part of the fenders that dive down, and at full lock the tire just kisses the back of the fender so its pretty dialed I think. The rear fender work was a fight getting the little twisted wedge pieces to fill the gap, you didnt talk about that part in your build thread, builders secrets I guess, ha. Simple things to a seasoned builder I am sure but to a new guy its a differant story sometimes.

Looks like we will be heading to your turf for oregon vs washington, I cant wait. I hope to see Corey at the next comp but he has been really busy lately.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Those wing/wedges were just a simple filler piece, yeah I did forget about that part. If I was to do it again I would also not let the body taper back as much when the parts were re-glued. Since the body is one big radius it pulls the fenders in. Mine was pulled a little but I would have added at least 1/8" in fill back and then recut the radius.
For c1 it would have made it not quite so tight to the specs. C2 you should be easily clear.

You didn't miss the Baja, Baller just kept on me about buying it through the weekend and at TTC. I wasn't going to sell it but we worked out a fair deal and first right to buy it back if he ever dismantles the wall of Fame. Plus I got a chance to finish it how I originally wanted to minus the Herbie stripes.

Again looking great cant wait to see it in person. If it handles like the 56 it will be a winner.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Great looking start.
baddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #15
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

Nice to see your first build thread Sam! I can already tell this little bug is gonna perform! Now I just might have to build myself a class 1 so you have some competition see you at the next comp
MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Love the bug builds, wish I would have had time to build the twin idea Dan and I had. It is still sitting in the same spot as when I decided to run the Vuck instead.

Loooking forward to seeing your twists, document away so we all can gain ideas from the build.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
Those wing/wedges were just a simple filler piece, yeah I did forget about that part. If I was to do it again I would also not let the body taper back as much when the parts were re-glued. Since the body is one big radius it pulls the fenders in. Mine was pulled a little but I would have added at least 1/8" in fill back and then recut the radius.
For c1 it would have made it not quite so tight to the specs. C2 you should be easily clear.

You didn't miss the Baja, Baller just kept on me about buying it through the weekend and at TTC. I wasn't going to sell it but we worked out a fair deal and first right to buy it back if he ever dismantles the wall of Fame. Plus I got a chance to finish it how I originally wanted to minus the Herbie stripes.

Again looking great cant wait to see it in person. If it handles like the 56 it will be a winner.

With any luck it will, the 56 was a fluke really. It was an ill advised wraith axle class 2 rig turned into a class 3 only hours before nationals.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG200 View Post
Nice to see your first build thread Sam! I can already tell this little bug is gonna perform! Now I just might have to build myself a class 1 so you have some competition see you at the next comp

Thanks Trenton, it should do alright. This will be my first t-case rig but I think the weight distribution will be close to my blackfoot, and we all know what a pile that is haha.

Been working a lot since I got a new job title so not as much time for rcs. Having this sit unfinished, and with a bumper I need to fix, just kills me. Next comp will be here before we know it, I better get in the garage!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Love the bug builds, wish I would have had time to build the twin idea Dan and I had. It is still sitting in the same spot as when I decided to run the Vuck instead.

Loooking forward to seeing your twists, document away so we all can gain ideas from the build.

The Vuck was the other car that really caught my eye at nats, When I was a kid my dad had a 60s ford econoline pick up. As a kid I always thought it was the ugliest thing ever made. When it was time for me to get my first car thats what he wanted to give me and I was like, Hell NO! Instead I ended up with a 2wd 68 international pick up. Its odd how age changes ya, now I see those and the dodge ones too and think, damn I wish I had one of those!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Another bug. I like the scorcher body better then the one I used. Mine already called monster beetle on account of monster energy sending me stickers for it. ;)

Looking forward to watching this one. Love the custom work.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam's Baja Bug - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slash/ baja bug hende Non Crawler RC's 15 07-14-2010 06:18 PM