Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Die-Laughing's Class2 Ultra4 Jeep!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Die-Laughing's Class2 Ultra4 Jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin707 View Post
I'm a big fan of black blue and silver,.... Just sayin......
Black Blue and silver is patented by me. Nobody on the forum is allowed to use these colors!

Ok, just googled "getting a patent on color schemes" and it turns out that you're allowed to do whatever you want!

B,B &S or whatever you come up with will surely be great. Can't wait to see it!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #202
RCC Addict

Wow!!! I know u said you had class 2 rig but wow!!
This rig is Sick!!! I would love to build one just like this for G6 events
a lot of time went into this rig but well worth the wait imo
very nice
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #203
I wanna be Dave

Have you thought about getting the chassis powdercoated?
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #204
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
The truck did pretty good today at the test & tune... couple bugs to work out but, It feels good.
Could you tell any difference in the front NOT being light on verticals and staying planted?

I could really notice it on my SCX-EXO that I modified the rear upper link geo. Not lifting or light front end feel anymore, even at 5.5lbs RTR.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #205
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet View Post
Have you thought about getting the chassis powdercoated?
I thought about it but, that seems like it would be a bit more "permanent" than spray paint and I'm not sure if I ready to commit to this chassis bring "done".. Its easy for me to tear it down and blast the paint off to make a change but, I'm not so sure that would be the case with powder. Maybe someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Could you tell any difference in the front NOT being light on verticals and staying planted?

I could really notice it on my SCX-EXO that I modified the rear upper link geo. Not lifting or light front end feel anymore, even at 5.5lbs RTR.
This rigs gotta be over 10lbs but, it is the best feeling rig I've ever put together.. It does feel planted & firm although I can't say I noticed anything specific relating to the rear link geometry but, I can say that I love how it rides. I'm going to put this thing to the test at ECSC in august. I have about every spare part I could think of for this rig too.. I'm going all out!
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #206
RCC Addict

Ok, I blasted the chassis, blew it off with compressed air, soaked it down in denatured alcohol and let it dry..

Then I applied a few light coats of self-etching primer..

Then a few nice coats of silver and this is what I have to work with..

Turned out pretty good.. I mean, its just silver. The goal was to have it get all scratched up and not look totally hideous. I used a spray paint intended for wheels.. Like, alloy car wheels I guess. Says its durable, we'll see.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #207
RCC Addict

Then I started playing around with my dashboard and I remembered I ordered some micro toggle switches off ebay so, I stuck a few of them into my dash..

I tested one out and it works directly inline between a 3s pack and a led light bar.

I made a little switch panel out of styrene.. Its not the prettiest but, it'll look fine when its in there nobody is going to be looking that closely, haha.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #208
I wanna be Dave

I am going to have to go find those switches - Nice find for sure!
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #209
RCC Addict

Heres more info if ya need it..
Old 07-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #210
RCC Addict

I got a powertank and thought I couldn't fit it anywhere but, I found a spot & I crammed it in there and it worked out pretty well I think.. Now I have on-board air and an easy to reach air hose incorporated into my spare tire hold down.

Edit: this is the new hose routing with the spare tire mount.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #211
I wanna be Dave

I was always taught PowerTanks were to sit up right or at a 45* when in use........
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #212
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
I was always taught PowerTanks were to sit up right or at a 45* when in use........
I'm just gonna park it on top of your truck.. That'll be about 45*

Ok, I modified a wild willy.. Cut his body down, shortened his arms, lots of grinding.. Stuck on a HPI mini trophy truck head.. Looks good. Needs paint.

Theres a little shifter in there that came on the W.W. parts tree.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #213
RCC Addict

Chillin' with the homeboy.. He'll be coming with to ECSC in PA.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #214
RCC Addict

Painted up my dude..

Old 07-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #215

rick wtf... ive been waiting on those painted willys dudes you were doing for me for like 5 months now.
;)
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #216
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
rick wtf... ive been waiting on those painted willys dudes you were doing for me for like 5 months now.
;)
Wait.. What? Huh? I'm confused. Did you give me that willys dude? It was in a drawer and I don't remember buying it.. Haha. Was I supposed to paint that for you? Man.. I gotta organize some stuff and finish projects. I still have a bunch of your stuff lurking around here too.

Get your willys all situated & send it over for paint and I'll send you my rig for some of that hoopty-tastic wiring.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #217
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Chillin' with the homeboy.. He'll be coming with to ECSC in PA.

Oh, you're killing me with this picture. We just lost our boxer a couple of months ago. The absolute most amazing dog you could ever ask for. She was more a part of the couch than the couch itself. Enjoy the time, and NEVER avoid the opportunity to get out and give him all the fun and love that he deserves.

They're here one second...and gone the next. Absolutely awesome picture. It made and broke my night at the same time.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #218

Quote:
Wait.. What? Huh? I'm confused. Did you give me that willys dude? It was in a drawer and I don't remember buying it.. Haha. Was I supposed to paint that for you? Man.. I gotta organize some stuff and finish projects. I still have a bunch of your stuff lurking around here too.

Get your willys all situated & send it over for paint and I'll send you my rig for some of that hoopty-tastic wiring.
naw thats your willys. i was joking...
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #219
RCC Addict

Ok so, something terrible has happened. Just before i'm about to final prep everything for paint.. I decide I want to reinforce the fenders to the hood so, I squirt some emblem adhesive in there thinking that oughta do it because I've used it on other project and it worked well. So, it turns out that it does not work well with this type of plastic. It softened up the body so much that it started to ooze away from itself, it was like playdoh in my hands so, I ripped the fenders off and half the body came with it.. This happened in about 24hrs of sitting.

This is what I believe to be a Nikko TJ. Its a little bit different in size than the NB JK which I had on the shelf.

So, At this point i'm pretty angry.. I had plans to give this to my brother on Wednesday for paint and I was pretty excited for that and then this happens! It's going to take me a while to get my hands on a new body and get it fitted and all that.. I was going to a fun run "GTG" on Sunday to give this rig a final test before ECSC..

Anyways... I look over and there is a Tamiya YJ on the shelf from an unfinished C1 build I started a while back.. So, I start measuring..trying to decide if I want to hack up this body I have several hours into or if I should leave it alone and just wait for a new TJ.. So, I said what the hell.. I gave that sucker the chop!

So it seems, one good thing may have come of this.. I sacrificed my YJ project that was on the shelf on a hunch that it might work.. I made a grill, did some cutting, grinding & trimming and I think it fits pretty well.. I need to make some fenders for it which I still have to figure out.. The best part is.. I can run this YJ.. AND the TJ using the same doors & mounts and everything. What do you guys think? I think it has potential.

I added a little length to the bottom if the fenders..,

I made a new grill and added a little length to the bottom.,

I think it turned out pretty well for being flustered and also doing it in one night..

I still have some work to do but, I believe I can have it ready for paint by Wednesday.

I like the idea of being able to run a YJ or a TJ whenever I want just by bolting on a new hood. I even thought about making another pair of doors so, I can paint one set to match the YJ and one set to match the TJ in a different color.

So, I guess its working itself out., when I got home to see my TJ body half melted, I thought I was doomed.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #220
RCC Addict

Obviously it's roughed out right now but, I think it has great potential. I'll get some better shots of it tomorrow when I figure out the fenders & do some finish work to it.

Die-Laughing's Class2 Ultra4 Jeep! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Die-Laughing's 2.2 Sledge Hammer!! Die-Laughing 2.2 Scale Rigs 50 06-29-2013 12:52 PM
Die-Laughing's Jeep YJ Hardtop... Die-Laughing 1.5 Scale Rigs 33 02-06-2013 07:23 PM
Die-Laughing's Monster Truck.. Die-Laughing Axial Wraith 16 02-06-2013 06:27 PM
Die-Laughing's BadAss FJ Die-Laughing 1.9 Scale Rigs 89 09-28-2012 01:59 PM
Die-Laughing's Wrecktuber Die-Laughing 2.2 Scale Rigs 78 02-26-2012 09:54 PM