Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Die-Laughing's Class2 Ultra4 Jeep!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #101
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: Die-Laughing's Class2 Ultra4 Jeep!

Maybe point him to this thread and he can help you decide.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #102
RCC Addict

Yeah, I asked Rick to chime in if he has any useful info.

Maybe tonight if I dont get it figured out, I'll mock up some different shocks to see how much articulation i'd like.. Then take the compressed eye to eye and add it to the amount of droop I want and get that length shock.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #103
Scale Detail Engineering

ah, just tro some SCX10 shocks on der an be done with it!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #104
Rock Crawler

It may just be trial and error. That's a tough thing to calculate.
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

I used the 3.75" velvets on my Wraith. It was on the heavier side but not that heavy. Maybe use the Losi grey springs to make it look like a coilover (thats what I used). The Losi grey springs give you a stiffer spring rate and will help support the weight of your rig. The Mini-T springs won't support that much weight. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about setting up the Velvets. I can give you more measurements if needed too.
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #106
Pebble Pounder

Hey Die-Laughing, How ya doing? Love the jeep. Also I'm still loving my rims, can't thank you enough. I've been pretty quiet around here lately. Anyway, It would be a pain but I like running the springs off the shocks like on my trucks. You can, if savvy enough, set up your shocks and springs independently. Nyx doesn't have much up travel but drops pretty good. I wish I did it a bit differently but I'm still learning. You got some skills so you could do something pretty cool I'm sure. Hardest part would be setting up the spring cups, I got mine to be a little adjustable I just should of made my shock mount higher on the chassis. Just a thought.....plus I like the looks of the springs seperate. Guido inspired me to do mine that way.
I'll be watching this. I really need to head north someday and meet you norhtern IL guys! Just been a crazy year.

Last edited by LuckyDevil; 07-09-2013 at 09:45 AM.
LuckyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #107
I wanna be Dave

I used two losi springs per shock on my JK with the RC4WD dual spring shocks. The rig is really light, but that seemed to make spring tuning harder to me. Just FYI...

I think your dead on with compressed length, adding numbers here will just be a waste. What is the norm for shock legths? I would mount a SCX10 shock, so long as it fits compressed then see if that is enough travel fully extended. Maybe add a small amount but you dont really need much. Its a cralwer not a Ultra4 racer right?
And your preload collar will be your adjustment, if you can get the combo right on springs it will allow you to raise your ride height slightly and give yourself that little bit of up travel for bouncing hill climbs.

Post a photo with a shock mounted if your still having issues and I am sure one of us can sort you out. I think you might just be over thinking it all. Its really simple when you see it all work together......
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #108
RCC Addict

Thanks guys!

Tonight I'll work on figuring out the suspension. I made good progress last night on the links, that went pretty smoothly.

I have wraith shocks, scx10 shocks and losi 4" shocks on the shelf.. I'm sure I can come up with something. If I remember correctly, the scx10 shock was fully closed at ride height in the front (3" compressed) so, I'll mount those up front and see if that is enough suspension movement then base my rears off of those results as well.

I'm kind of liking the look of the spring over the body instead of the spring over the shaft like the picture I posted above. If I go that route, I'll have the collar for adjustment.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Well, I toyed with it for a little while after work and I think it came out pretty good.. I even used parts off the shelf.

So, here is the front setup.. It's a Losi 4" aluminum shock with a Losi silver spring. There is about a 1/4" of suspension travel (compression) at ride height to handle any small bumps at speed but, for the most part it's a droop setup I suppose. I switched out the Losi rod end for a different offset unit because that's what I had and they fit the metal balls inside.

Front at ride height:

Front at full compression:

Front at full droop:

The rear is also a Losi 4" aluminum shock with an unknown black & shorter spring. There is quite a bit more suspension travel on the compression side but, much less shock extension. It only droops out about 3/8" from ride height. Also has the different rod end installed.

Rear at ride height:

Rear at full compression:

Rear at full droop:

side view on its own weight (which is certainly light right now):
In the next two pictures you can also see my link design. I had to get creative with the bending for them to wrap around my low transmission mount in the front and to wrap around where my fuel cell will be in the rear. I was able to use all titanium links except for the rear uppers which are aluminum.

side view full droop:

more than enough articulation:

I think I'm pretty happy with this setup for now. I won't truly know until I put some run time hours into it but.. It feels good. I normally tend to over-do the amount of articulation my rig has and I don't think it's necessary. I think this rig has enough. The last two pictures isn't even all of it.. the spare wheel/tire is just what I had close to me at the time of the picture but, I feel it represents "enough" articulation.

What do you think?

Last edited by Die-Laughing; 07-09-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #110
Scale Detail Engineering

looks good. about where Hera is...
I think a trip to Busse may be in order.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

I think thats plenty of articulation, looks great! Run it and tune spring rates from there.
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Thanks guys..

Next I think I have to try to get one of these panhard setups to work.. Might have to get custom with it but, I should be able to use some of the parts.. at least the axle bracket. lol.

VANQUISH SCX-JK Panhard bar for Vanquish SCX Currie axles (silver)
Old 07-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #113
RCC Addict

Lookin good! Way to get creative with the links.

Certainly not lookin fwd to going up against this thing in aug.
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

I think you would be happier with the ride and feel if you could get a second spring on there to help control the axle at full droop.
I have ran rigs like that in the past and it will work just fine. But when I finally got a set of shocks that I could run double springs on it seemed more planted and controlled.

Saying that - getting springs to hold the weight of my heavy pig of a ratrod took some work. And it could all be in my head. But figured I would throw it out there and give you something to think about after you spend some time driving her as is.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #115
RCC Addict

Thanks doublej, I took your advice and went with a longer front spring. I have the collar adjusted all the way up & its just a tad too high still for my liking but, when I get some weight on there, it will go down.. Probably too much so, I'll be able to raise it up a little.

It's gettin' there!

It's in full blown roller status now. Recently, I've linked it, shock & sprung it and tonight I mocked up all the drivetrain. I switched out of a rc4wd 2spd trans & into a "built" supershafty wraith transmission.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

No worries Mate. Just trying to spread what little know how I have in the thick head of mine.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #117

wow, this rig is awesome.
Freestyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #118
RCC Addict

I quick hacked something out for fun this morning.. Know what it is?

That's right! It's a dual shock mount for the rear. I run the shock on the outside of the mount anyways so, this piece I made acts as a spacer to go next to the link and I can run the second shock on the outside of it as well.

I mocked it up and the second shock out back looks good & fits the theme. Obviously it will have no spring of oil.. Just for appearance. I'll post a pic tonight what it looks like.

Last edited by Die-Laughing; 07-11-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Awesome looking cage design and setup so far.

You thought about making upper link mount adjustments at the skid/chassis? Looks like you might be fighting some anti-squat hurdles., esp out back. Just my keyboard setup gangstering.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Awesome looking cage design and setup so far.

You thought about making upper link mount adjustments at the skid/chassis? Looks like you might be fighting some anti-squat hurdles., esp out back. Just my keyboard setup gangstering.
I didn't even notice that with his crazy bent to hell links......
We need a 4link debate thread - I know so many guys that love the stock scx10 setup but I have never been able to accept it.

Sorry highjack over.... Make some more crazy stuff so I can bug you for your scraps.

Die-Laughing's Class2 Ultra4 Jeep! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Die-Laughing's 2.2 Sledge Hammer!! Die-Laughing 2.2 Scale Rigs 50 06-29-2013 12:52 PM
Die-Laughing's Jeep YJ Hardtop... Die-Laughing 1.5 Scale Rigs 33 02-06-2013 07:23 PM
Die-Laughing's Monster Truck.. Die-Laughing Axial Wraith 16 02-06-2013 06:27 PM
Die-Laughing's BadAss FJ Die-Laughing 1.9 Scale Rigs 89 09-28-2012 01:59 PM
Die-Laughing's Wrecktuber Die-Laughing 2.2 Scale Rigs 78 02-26-2012 09:54 PM