Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 vs. RC4WD TF2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial SCX10 vs. RC4WD TF2

I think honestly you can't go wrong with either rig.
I can say from my experience though that I had the same debate about 8 months ago and got the scx 10. After moding it and gettin a hard body on it I still want the tf2 also. I'm probly about $500 or so into mods on my scx and loving it but I keep looking back to the tf2. So I'll be ordering one shortly. If you can afford it buy both. Then you'll have a nice scaler and a nice scale crawler you can bash a lil bit.
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I have beat the living daylights (and a headlight) out of my TF2 and it's still going strong. I can keep up with the SCX10's without a problem. It's heavy enough to dig in and plant a tire. The two speed gives you the ability to really crawl plus the added wheelspeed of 2nd gear to pop it over hangups. It's super tough with all metal parts and keeps on driving run after run and looks cool doing it!

With all that in mind, there are a couple of upgrades that should be done if you plan on really crawling with this truck.

The transfer case skidplate hangs up on everything and doesn't want to let go. I may try adding a second, flatter skid to it or just replacing it with something flatter.

Get some rubber mirrors. I snapped the hard plastic ones off the first day. this ain't no shelf queen!

I added BBs to all four tires to offset the weight of the hardbody That also helped the leaf springs get a little more flexy.

If you stick with leafs I would recommend some sort of anti-wrap for each axle. I think this would help keep the leafs from getting bent out of shape. I had to re-arch the front springs recently as they had developed a pretty severe bend.

Recently, I have gone with a slightly taller tire, added a four link rear, 3/8" body lift and bobbed the bed by about 3/4". The bed bob was absolutely necessary as the bed had quite a bit of overhang and would get hung up pretty easily. The 4-link is cool and really adds some flex, but the stock internally sprung shocks are a tad too lightweight to work without the help of the leafs. I'll need to add some heavier springs to counteract the new torque twist and a nearly full droop stance in the rear.

I still may end up getting a SCX10 one day, but for now, the TF2 is my favorite truck!
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Whow! Thanks for taking the time and providing such a clear picture of your rig and impressions! I appreciate that, actually the more I look at the TF2 the more I like it and it sounds it can do some crawling which is also what I want..... Well I don't have to decide right now as I am still up to the wraith completing a full rebuild..... but keep myself informed and developing my thoughts and possible mods I may do to make it drive and look the way I like... ;). Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

BTW any chance so see some pics of your TF?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
I plan on purchasing a TF2, selling the body and axles, and using the remainder combined with the k44's. Lj build.
Let me know when you sell the TF2 body, I'd be interested!

Last edited by jjwiggs; 02-19-2013 at 10:00 AM.
jjwiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
ahhh S^*T

SCX-10 ftw
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial SCX10 vs. RC4WD TF2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rc4wd trailfinder or an axial scx10 atom631 Newbie General 14 05-03-2013 10:45 PM
output Caprona (PI)-yj rcmodelex tamya pagero-CC01 SCX10 RC4WD dingo-tf2 gionata78 Scale Videos! 4 02-17-2013 10:06 AM
RC4WD Axial SCX10 steering servo chassis mounting kit chiatw73 Axial SCX-10 7 08-18-2011 08:06 AM
RC4WD Trail Finder or Axial SCX10 Angdvl089 Newbie General 10 06-23-2010 04:07 PM