Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The Orange Crush Ultra4 EB Build!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The Orange Crush Ultra4 EB Build!!

Jeez it's been over 2 months since I've done anything to this rig lol....

Here's the latest so far. Not much...especially since I smoked the MMP which I still dont get why. Here's the video before it went kaput...and it only happens in reverse.

All settings on the MMP were set to run the sensored Tekin 3500HD. Running w/o the sensor wire everything was fine. But once the sensor wire was in it seemed to lose a bit of power on throttle and going in reverse it would stutter. Neither the ESC or motor or lipo ever got warm.

The ESC is about 1.5 years old and has been ran sensored and unsensored so I know the port and the wire is fine. The Tekin motor is brand new and it still runs testing it on another ESC.

I have yet to try it on the new MMP 1cell which I will install the new case for it and fan assembly along with the CC BEC.

Here's the video of it stuttering:
IMG_16321.mp4 Video by alexchen86 | Photobucket

And some updates on the axles:

alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

is the abs on?
envious8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Yes ABS is on but how does that affect going into reverse? On my 2pl I always run ABS with no issues but using an unsensored setup.

I allow the 2 seconds of delay before reversing and it still did the odd stutter and the very next day when I tried it again...poof there goes the esc in literally 20 seconds.

The only sensored setups I've ran before were Novak 17.5t blinky on road and my 1.9 comp rig with the Xcelorin setup. Never had any issues like this before.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:08 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

LOL FINALLY UPDATES!!!!

She's a runner now...just have to do interior and body plus figure out how to setup my steering. My front axle hits against my front truss....any suggestions? Please check the pic!

Old 07-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Well I have a few CMS options with panhard to run the SCX10 axles and looking at other Wraith/KOH style rigs with a 3 linked front I see several options. Now my question is I don't remember if I have underdrive Axial HD bevel gears in the rear or the stock ratio Axial HD bevel gears. I have an extra set of new overdrive still in package, but I read that any high speed KOH type rig should not have OD ratios on both front and rear axles why is that?

Overworking the motor/esc or is it something drive related? In my Wraith I have OD front and stock HD rear as advised since I was running a 35T Holmes on 3s. But on my shafty I was told to run OD front UD rear.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

any new pics?
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:15 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Not yet. Tore into the rear axle over the weekend to see what Axial bevel gear set I've been running. I've had these axles running at least once a month for 3-4 years when I used to comp and do a little scale while others finished their courses or I'd go trailing. Surprisingly there was really not that much dirt and mud that seeped inside the housings.

Sure the housings are a worn a bit but nothing a few shims can't fix. Also did verify my rear axle is stock ratio just Axial's HD beveled version. I'm not sure why I thought it was under drive. So now that rear is done front axle tomorrow night.

All electronics work finally though!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Ordered a pair of extended beeftoobz to strenghten the stock axle housings hopefully they hold up for at least a few good runs. I am pretty amazed at the fact that these were the ORIGNAL SCX10 housings when the CF-100 body was released way back in what 08-09? And they still are in decent shape minus rock rash which at this point looks like it has been smoothed with sand paper.

No curries just yet lets give Axial plastic a little more credit first!
Old 08-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Ok got some big updates this week but still waiting on some hardware to arrive and paint the prepped Bronco EB body. Interior paint done last night. But gauges, seats, dash, diamond plated styrene, and some custom interior LED lighting to be done.

Upside is she runs!! There is a kink somewhere in the drive line and I suspect it's the rear axle or maybe even both being that they are so worn around the bearing where the output shafts are.

Steering is going to take a while as well. I don't like the cheap Leve 3 junk that I see on most 1.9 Wraith SCX10 axled conversions. I have a VP CMS plate maybe I can scrap some parts from the Level 3 kit and the new VP Wraith CMS kit with panhard meant for the AR60 axles. I already have a panhard setup from some SCX10 I built a while back so it just needs minor tweaking.

VVD's are insane!! Unfortunately I didn't think the short course Power Strokes were that much difference in heights! Ah well it's just a mock up for now...

All the LED bars are waterproofed Gear Head RC's from RPP. I'm thinking the longer bar is going on my other rig. With the Axial light bar i think those LED's are more than enough. We hardly do any trailing at night mainly just for scale looks.

Now comes the fun part of fitting the electronics under the interior without overheating anything. Another issue is the shock tuning down the line. I have no plans for this rig to be a crawler.

This will be nothing more than a rig I mess around with on short course tracks and just and overall fun rig that's nearly indestructible especially with all that BGR sweetness.

Wheels are a limited run of anodized orange VP bl's on .475 SLW hubs. Lucky for me I had one more set of faux brake discs that were the perfect size for these wheels!

Still feels like she's riding too high and I plan on running around 2000mah 3s 40C soft pack up front. Not much weight battery or electronic wise so it will have to boil down to limiting the shocks...haven't done that in a while lol!

Last edited by alexchen86; 08-02-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I've decided since this is a ballistic go fast rig tons of parts are going to start breaking so once these 5-6 year old Axial SCX10 housings give out even with the VVD's and the VP 8* knucks and chubs plus beef toobz that I will be dropping in soon if I can get my 1:1 running then later down the line I'll consider some sick VP Curries....or who knows what VP might develop next?!

I love that DMG front truss but the 8* knuckles hit it square on.....sigh

Better run 2s for now lol...
Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

My God!! I really need to seriously get on the ball with this build LOL! Been 4 months since I've touched it!

Updates:
Mounted up the motor with spacers to clear the skid and the MIP's from hitting the skid.
Bolted on most of the stainless hardware.
Bolted on all the BGR parts.
Figured out how I am going to do the CMS 3 link front end
Added an RC4WD Panhard
Installed all Electronics
VP 850 Hubs Installed
Traxxas Oilite Bushings installed front and rear
Working on mounting lighting now and interior touches

But good news is she MOVES!!! LOL....now to figure out battery placement. That and do the paint work on the EB Bronco and bolt that onto the cage.

This is what happens when you have 4 builds going on at the same time....
Old 12-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Well after changing out the hubs to the 850's, I decided to try to continue working the geometry of the rc4wd panhard bar. Unfortunately the faux shock body is too fat and hits the bottom of the servo. I've had this problem before on my lowered 2.2 Wraith so I had to go back 4 link front and rear.

Part of the reason I know why I am getting contact with the panhard and the servo is because of the 90mm PowerStrokes. I should have went 4" Traxxas big bores or Losi's like on my other 2.2 rigs.

Any suggestions on this besides swapping to a narrower panhard bar? I do have a VP titanium ready to drop in. I was also thinking mounting panhard bar behind the current axle mount but that would cause more issues probably.

Worst case I have 8/32" allthread on standby lol.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Help guys!! Any suggestions on how to hide my electronics?

Oh jeez here comes the part I dreaded the most hiding everything while still figuring out how I can fit a decent mah rated lipo with the huge MMP and CC BEC plus all the wiring....btw it will obviously have a hinged hood.

Anyone have suggestions? I am already using a Futaba mini rx to help but the problem is where to put the MMP and the huge lipo. It's only a 4200mah 2s. I could find like a 3000mah 3s or something like that but I think 2s is fine for now with the 3500kv Tekin HD motor.

The light bar should be no issue either it's a perfect fit on the BGR front bumper with some adjustments.

Here is the remainder of the space I have to work with. Mainly what gets in the way is the BGR front shock tower cross bar. If that wasn't there the MMP would drop right in!

Here is the rear tray. I left this as a back up solution for the larger mah lipo. I have the stock Axial battery tray I could always drill into the plate, but battery swaps would be annoying as I'd want to hide the lipo with scale items if put in the rear.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

cut that bar out of the way and move it wherever you want it to be- (or have someone do it for you)

L.R.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #35
Gold Star Baby!

I would recommend leaving the battery up front, putting the electronics in the cab and changing the interior!
Arjeeprider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Electronics in the cab is a good idea. Unfortunately I already purchased and painted up the standard Wraith interior which got partially ripped while test fitting.

Here's the best I could do with electronics in the front and battery in the back. The most I can run is 2s again because the rear shock tower also has a cross bar for rigidity.

And I don't want to cut the bar on the front shock tower because that will totally destroy the purpose of the cross bar. Both sides of the shock mounts would just collapse together under load.

Plus the cross bar is a perfect place to mount the faux big block blower I'll have popping out over the hood.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

When I built my 1.9 wraith recently I ran into the same problem with the pan hard hitting the cms it limits the up travel on the axle and there's nothing you can do about it either just not enough room . I run the 90mm king shocks on my rig. What's your wheelbase at as it sits now ?? . I pulled my front axle in My rig sits at 12.75 in I'll try to load a pic for you to see it. Great looking rig lots of bling going on here
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodamis View Post
When I built my 1.9 wraith recently I ran into the same problem with the pan hard hitting the cms it limits the up travel on the axle and there's nothing you can do about it either just not enough room . I run the 90mm king shocks on my rig. What's your wheelbase at as it sits now ?? . I pulled my front axle in My rig sits at 12.75 in I'll try to load a pic for you to see it. Great looking rig lots of bling going on here
Thanks! I still cannot believe I took a 2 year break on this damn thing!! At least it runs correctly now no binds, except left turns cannot go all the way compared to the right because the front DMG truss panhard mount hits the freaking VP 8* knuckle.

Wb sits at an appaling 14.24"!! Wow I have never built any rig this long.

Even my old 2.2 Lucifer KOH buggy was in the 13.5" neighborhood!

My temporary cure for the CMS hitting was to jack up the front end a bit and to prevent that fat Robitronics arm from hitting the back of the BGR Trail Bumper I had to extend the front bumper mount forward with few spacers (God knows how long that will hold lol).
Old 01-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Well after much pondering I decided to go with all rear Powerstrokes and just angle the front rear shocks back which might actually help handling. I wish I could figure out how to put sways on the front end with SCX10 axles....

So yup I just have to raise the front one hole because the panhard is hitting the front truss and also lower the back a tad to even it out.....coming together nicely.

Next will be paint, interior, and scale stuff....good thing I have all that ready!

Old 01-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Okay as you can tell in the last picture the panhard is literally resting on the top of the truss at rest!!

Fortunately BGR made another hole so I could raise the mounting point another notch higher. I set the rebound to half so I would not have to worry about damage from suspension binds. Proline's color chart for their springs is INSANE!! Jeez so many combinations....I might just stick with single linear in the back and dual in the front s I have no other choice.

Did a little shake down run in the test section on my patio after the rain to see how the tires are still hooking up. Incredible!! Go Pitbull and CI Closed Cell Foams!

Running an old waterproof BRXL with a CC BEC I waterproofed years ago coupled with a 35T Crawlmaster 32p gears yada yada yada.

Pics:
Here is her altered stance now. I wanted the head to be slightly lower so on take off it's level.

Fixed the panhard situation simply by relocating it from the chassis to the rear of the front truss.

Added a faux steering stabilizer too.

Rear end looks like it needs some work...I think the shocks may be angled inwards?

Decided to try something new with the Wraith interior...gray two tone seating and a two tone dash and interior to match the Orange Crush paint job.

Now comes my question:

Which faux motor to be popping out of the Ford EB Bronco's hood?

My pick is 1). and run some faux hoses to it.

The Orange Crush Ultra4 EB Build!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orange Crush 2012 ripper7777777 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 03-26-2012 09:52 AM
Orange Crush Trail Fireman Rich Scale Videos! 1 04-26-2011 02:48 AM
my 2.2 orange crush doudou 2.2 Scale Rigs 9 09-10-2009 09:43 PM
Orange Crush 3 - The Bronco ripper7777777 2.2 Scale Rigs 23 12-12-2008 08:59 PM
Orange Crush Hustler JasonInAugusta Tamiya Clod Buster 139 10-08-2008 10:07 AM