Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The Orange Crush Ultra4 EB Build!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Smile The Orange Crush Ultra4 EB Build!!

After trying to learn about how r/c off-road crawling suspension/power/balance/chassis all work harmoniously, and actually reading about 1:1 rigs and how they are setup, I am starting to understand more and more about how all these factors come into play to truly have a rig you love to drive.

It's not always about the most expensive, toughest, heaviest, bulletproof, rig you have, it's of course how well you master what you have. My 11 pound 4s Lucifer KOH 2.2 build which Jerry at DMG helped me with on the chassis and suspension ideas lead me to eventually want to build a Ultra4 buggy rig of some sort either IFS solid rear or solid front and back....

I just did not like the way big old Lucifer handled. Sure it had insane torque and a bulletproof setup and scale to boot, but having my ass handed to me on a base RTR Honcho with just a tire/wheel upgrade to 2.2''s really said a lot to me about the fine line between performance and scale realism.

With that being said here is my second attempt at an Ultra4 KOH style buggy. A big thanks to BGR Fabrications for the hookup on all the awesome goodies!!

Instead of the typical colors I like (black/red/chrome) I'm going with the Orange Crush soda theme of silvers/chromes/whites/orange. Found a set of VP SSZ 1.9's that are now discontinued which I think will look pretty sweet on this rig.

Went to my LHS today and picked up the closest lexan paint I could find to match this anodized orange color which is Pactra RC302 Fiery Orange. It has a metallic flake to it which I'm not quite fond of but the base color is almost dead on. I plan on backing it with coats of Pactra RC251 Sprint White to try to lighten the Fiery Orange as close as possible to the Vanquish orange.

Interior will be several outrageous colors. Floor pan definitely black. Seats will either be chrome/black or black/orange, dash will be orange and black, gauges will definitely be chrome, steering wheel and post chrome of course. Shifters will be in chrome with orange grips.

Running Gear:
MMP w/CC BEC @ 7.4V + Tekin Pro4 3500HD Sensored
Dual Red Loctite Smashed Axial Motor Plates (hope it holds lol)
Savox SA-1230SG w/Robitronics Servo Horn (+500 oz/in)
Loaded RR Wraith Tranny 32p conversion 56T spur 12T pinion
MIP Drive lines
OG First Release SCX10 Axles AND HOUSINGS from 5-6 years ago LOL!!
Vanquish High Steers/Axial Clockable C's/Axial CVD's w/Gunnar Pins
OD front gearing ratio
HD stock rear gearing ratio
Replaced with Team Fast Eddie Bearings
Hot Racing SHD Lockers Front and Rear

Suspension:
Proline 90mm PowerStrokes w/ Associated 45 wt rear 40 wt front
4 link Front/Rear with R2J Kustoms Mount
CMS front with panhard...somehow hmmmm.

Wheels/Tires:
(5) Vanquish SSZ's Limited Edition Anodized Orange
Rc4WD Baja TTC for now...maybe too soft for hard cornering
1.9 Ripsaw as spare
CI Firm Single Stages F/R...will definitely need closed cells!

Body:
Dynamic Concepts EB Bronco with a custom open hood for a Blower

These axles used to be on my 11 pounder 2.2 Lucifer KOH rig before I swapped to AR60's on it.

Enough boring chit chat....

Onto mock pics:

This will be for the EB panels trying to match up with the wheels. I usually use Tamiya but new LHS owner apparently prefers Pactra. I hate that it's metallic...anyone have a better choice?

Last edited by alexchen86; 07-22-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: 7-22-13 updates
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The Orange Crush Ultra4 EB Build!!

Finally got around to modding the rear stock Wraith cage this evening and tightened up the BGR KOH cage. Front bumper and front shock tower not mounted yet until my electronics box comes in. Also just ordered up a pair of HR SHD lockers f/r. Still deciding if I want to run Gunnar CVD's on this rig or just dog bones. This will be a go fast rig so turning really won't be that much of an issue....don't plan on competing this rig with anything.

The rear shock tower is mounted and done. Proline Powerstrokes running Associated 40wt front 50wt rear. I've only run these shocks on my Axial Exo for literally 5 min and so I really don't know how they will perform on this rig. Not a fan of the dual spring setup I might try the linear spring that came with the set.

Dynamic Concepts EB Bronco body came in so did part of the Axial interior set so I'll be fitting that in this weekend.

Onto the pics:

Dual smashed Axial motor plates to hold that monster Tekin 3500HD Pro4 motor.
Robinson loaded internals on the tranny....mips on the way.
32p conversion of course.

Also ordered up a pair of R2J trusses for the f/r axles!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

This build is going to be insane. That motor should be a beast. I can't believe someone in the rc scaler world is already using them. I am subscribed.
chris_snchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I would love to power it with an RX8 but unfortunately all my stuff is Castle and with the CastleLink I have basically everything I could ever need. But we will see how the MMP holds up. Just got my interior in today along with seats. I have plenty of scale stuff laying around I could use as well such as shifters, scale magazines, scale bungee cords, and whatever I have laying around...maybe some firearms from my Axial Exo I have left over.

The EB Bronco body is what I'll be working on this weekend to paint match the wheels. As of right now I don't know what to do with the spare wheel/tire especially since VP won't be producing those siiiick beadlocks any more! Only 30 sets were made :(
Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

that paint color is awesome! ive used it on a few diff things. Be keepin my eyes on this
jcsaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yup I always wanted to do a 1.9 Ultra4 rig with aluminum and steel where needed but keeping most parts plastic for weight savings and less breakage (hopefully LOL). So we all know it's always good to have spare axles and whatnot laying around to start a new project!!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Well big my hands on a set of new Vaterra TH 1.9s and also the new axial poison axles. Which btw are they any different than the stock rtr wraith ar60 axles besides the blue lock nuts? Lol.

Now which to run my 1.9s on the ar60 wider axles but not as scale or the narrower semi loaded scx10 axles? Btw I have a set if new Twin Hammer race claws on the way hopefully they're firmer than the Baja TTCs also have firm CI foams on the way. Lots of testing to do.

But first things first which axles for this chassis? Keep in mind I already have a ridiculous 2.2 wraith kit version lowered so having 2 rigs with ar60s might get boring. If you count my KOH Lucifer tuber that's 3 rigs with ar60s lol.

Last edited by alexchen86; 06-12-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

My choice would be the scx10 axles for the win
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

+1 scx10 axles for a change something different
rjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Definitely scx axles if you already Have one with wraith axles
Wraith913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Well scx10 axles it is then let's see how long these OG housings and stock internals will hold up lol!

I have SHD lockers and OD and HD gears on standby but I think a thorough cleaning is in order. These axles have been on 2 scx10 rigs including a mud bogger and also my 11 pounder KOH rig....
Old 06-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Alrighty guys time for an update! Got my HR SHD lockers in from Corey at RPP, OD fronts and HD stock ratio rears, CI firm foams single stage installed on all 4 wheels, matching rear VP wheel as well for the BGR KOH cage.

Also still waiting for my sandwiched motor plates with gobs of red Loctite to dry. Going to do the panels today and my scale motor came in earlier this week!

The flaps actually open and close with a little lever on the side which is pretty cool. Going to see if I can do some nice detailing paint on it too.

Also have to figure out where to mount it...I will be adding headers and some sort of exhaust pipes to it.

Can any I.D. This replica motor? Looks like the closest one I found was a GMC blown Hemi dragster motor...obviously this is not die cast nor where I purchased it from but closest Google Images match:

Liberty Classics 1:6 Scale Die-Cast Engine Replicas | Northern Auto Parts
Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

That looks like the disney cars motor i got sittin in the back waiting for somthin to.go in
jcsaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I need to figure out a way to mount it up front with custom brass tubing pipes or polished aluminum after...part of the fun is the build. Now the planning part lol not so much!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I finally got off my lazy butt after work and cleaned out the original axle housings which I had FULLY packed with marine grease. Man was that fun to clean...

Anyway dropped in the SHD lockers front and rear OD gears front upgraded HD stock ratio rear. Got the Dinky upper 4 link mounted too also changed out all the axle and knuckle bearings. Put on my old Axial clocked c's and the VP high steers. Running axial cvd's and Gunnar pins still lol.

Running Team Fast Eddy bearings now. Just the basic ones nothing fancy. They spin smoother than the stock Axials for sure and while disassembly I discovered 3 blown bearings lol....keep in mind these scx10 axles and everything in them were from their first release kit and then went into big old 11 pound 4s steel Lucifer and not once have they cracked or have I had any screw threaded out or rounded out!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Ok fellas I'm going to need some help on this one from you fellow 1:1 and 1:10 Ultra 4/KOH high speed truck suspension. Target wheel base is maybe 12.5" or 13" so how do I know how long the front lowers should be versus the rear lowers?

Now after that what would the best way be to setup the upper links? By the way I am going with 4 link all the way. Just installed the Dinky mounts on both axles last night. I am using the 8/32 all thread as a temporary means to make sure all my links work.

Steel uppers and titanium lowers? Or titanium everything?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Length of your lowers is what will set you wheelbase for the most part. Which is longer (front or rear or same) is up to you.
Do you have any stock links? Set them up and see how much you need to add.
Then your uppers will be dependent on how much driveline angle you want.

Don't over think it - Just set your lowers and go.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

That's what I figured. I've seen a wraith on here with scx10 axles and his uppers were just the standard uppers from either a Honcho or other scx10 kit obviously since the aluminum was Axial's gunmetal aluminum. He also ran cut Maxx shafts...I'm thinking I want this rig to be low slung and handle like a true Ultra4 rig so I will be aiming at a 12.5-13" wheelbase.

I do have a bunch of stock Wraith links when I bought the chassis only. I also have 8/32 all thread to measure exactly the lengths I need with Revo rod ends.

Keep in mind this rig is more of a solid axled desert demon with no business crawling any rocks lol. Ill probably end up crawling with it anyways lol.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Got some more work done figuring out how and where I will be placing my electronics. Now I want this rig to have a cms but how do I incorporate a panhard mount and bar onto the scx10 axles off a the VP cms? Already have the VP cms mocked up. Just scratching my head...

Apparently the hubs I wanted to run were rubbing the VP high steers so the only other ones I had were a pair of 650 and a pair of 725. Running wider in the back as this is going to be a speed rig.

Here's all the goodies still need to be installed and setup:

Interior stuff:

Figuring out a safe protected way to mount the blower which still needs some paint.

Front end for now:

I'm going to have issues with the MIPs I think because looking at the body panel the wheel wells look meant for a shorter wheelbase than I planned. Might have to cut them down won't know until I mock up the power plant.

Had to invert the butterfly nut mount because of the enclosed VP center hub...will deal with lipo space back there later.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Going cms for sure just ordered the DMG polished trusses v4 front and flush rear. They used to actually be on Lucifer when that bad boy came back from Jerry...unfortunately I gave them away in a trade a while back...also ordered an HR aluminum tranny case that 3500HD is going to tear everything up!

I know the weak point will be the axle housings, probably since they're about 4 years old by now and been on now 3 different rigs. Should I contact Chris for some standard scx widths first or just run these till they die...I have a another used front housing with dog bones too lol.

The Orange Crush Ultra4 EB Build!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orange Crush 2012 ripper7777777 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 03-26-2012 09:52 AM
Orange Crush Trail Fireman Rich Scale Videos! 1 04-26-2011 02:48 AM
my 2.2 orange crush doudou 2.2 Scale Rigs 9 09-10-2009 09:43 PM
Orange Crush 3 - The Bronco ripper7777777 2.2 Scale Rigs 23 12-12-2008 08:59 PM
Orange Crush Hustler JasonInAugusta Tamiya Clod Buster 139 10-08-2008 10:07 AM