Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Klampyz Wraithokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Klampyz Wraithokee

Hi guys. Ive started this on Scale4x4rc and figured it deserves to come here too.

Placed into the 1.9 group, because altho it is a wraith, its not a "wraith" lol.

i have a poll on my other page here> http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73835

^^please go over and vote!! ^^ sign up if you have to !! ^^

to determine wither i build to replicate my intentions for my 1:1 XJ,
or all out Koh Buggy,
or all out Koh Buggy, nitro powered.

heres my pics so far. bear in mind, im waiting for my 1.9 rims and treps to turn up outta the post.

and heres my inspiration shots.

and heres the plan for the 1:1 that i drew, and will ultimately have bits of the ideas put into the build..

more inspirations

klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Klampyz Wraithokee

Cool idea. Neat to see the different stuff. Here is a pic of my wronco. this was a few months ago.

Had to pinch the front so the tires wouldn't get all up in the fenders.
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

nice turks

i got to see my first set of Treps first hand today when i dropped into my LHS. cant wait to get mine! theyre not as big as i was expecting, but all ive had to play with are 2.2s... lol
Old 05-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
RCC Addict

i committed to cutting the body tonight. ive been procrastinating whether or not to cut... lol.

also mocked up some smaller tires so i can get a better idea of scale.

also, was going to run with leaf springs in the rear, but after fitting some the way i had envisioned them being mounted, they are going to shorten my wheelbase, and its plenty short as it is. so ill be removing them and staying with multi link in the rear.

just a random perspective shot. i like them occasionally.. even if its of nothing in particular.

Chop Chop

I mounted the skid back one set of holes to bring the front axle back, and then mounted the rear links halfway up the chassis to bring the rear forwards.

and the stance im aiming for.

and with the body on.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Off to a good start! How'd you lower the stance?
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
RCC Addict

just currently springless on the stock shocks. ill be looking at fitting some longer shocks and raising the top mounts to keep the stance while offering up AND down travel.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
RCC Addict

i can see that the wraith cage is going to be modified beyond recongnition so i may just end up making my own cage i had already started a chassis from before i get teh XJ body. heres a shot of it.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #8

Hell yeah man. Beautiful rig. I built my wraith and mated a xj body to it. Marked the stock body mounting holes and retrofitted it on there.
DEynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Nice! If your full on custom at this point, what do you think about an open top or soft top xj? Too radical? I've seen a 1:1 open top/ full cage xj in the desert and I've always thought it would make a great scale project.
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Yeh not sure on the open top. I may as well go wrangler haha. I will probably end up near copying ramrods xj. Im aiming for rather long travel suspension so might keep it trophy style in the rear. Eh who knows at this point lol.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
RCC Addict

can anyone tell me that if i make an exhaust system from brass tube/solder, if it will melt the solder from the Exhaust Gas Temp?

im not going to be running the tuned pipe like a normal nitro, just an open baffle/straight pipe with a hotdog style muffler in the hope that it will flow well and the minimal backpressure will keep it cool(ish)

the plan is also to run a highrise(snorkel) intake system also for added realism.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
RCC Addict

ive been doing some reading regarding 2-stroke/nitro motors and i may still have to run the expansion chamber/stinger setup at the rear end of the system to retain the pressurisation of the fuel tank.

just wondering tho, wether i would be better off running the expansion up where its supposed to go and have a chassis length stinger pipe, or run the expansion chamber at the rear with a mid sized tube to create like a rear mounted muffler system??

ive never played with anything like this before, so can anyone shine some light on this?

being a scale truck, im not bothered with outright power at all. more towards smooth running, a less squawky exhaust note, lowered volume, and torque more so than top end.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
RCC Addict

So this is going to be nitro crawler? Also you get your wraith axles yet to make your centered rear?
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Youwill need to keep the expansion chamber on the motor(stock. But you can plumb the rest of the exhaust out the back, after the muffler.
Reason is the "tuned pipe" actually pulls the exhaust out of the motor with the pulses of exhaust(presure waves). The tuned pipe refers to that. If you move the tuned pipe haphazerdly the motor could run at less than 50%, or not run at all depending on the presure waves.
You can get away with crazy exhaust systems on 4 strokes because they dont rely on preasure waves to remove the exhaust from the cylinder.
You can put a muffler on the end of a tuned pipe but it will soften your power and you will need a retune.
Look up 2stroke motorcyle tuned pipe/exhuust.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Yep nitro powered and no the axles havent turned up yet.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Lonelycreeper I was just reading about 2 strokes and how they like to have the expansion chambers. But lots of people also said that straight pipes will work but the engine will prefer lower rpms and have less overall power.
If ur saying I absolutely have to have the expansion chamber then there is no way ill fit it all in the engine bay and will have to have it further from the engine.

It was also said that longer header pipes will create more torque in the exchange for less top end which im quite ok with.
The more i dig about custom nitro stuff the more I think im gunna have to go full custom chassis to fit it all properly.

Last edited by klampykixx; 05-18-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: stupid phone.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I say give it a shot, my old 2stroke did not like being with out a pipe. (fell off while riding lol) it had less than 1/2 the power and was extremely noisy, and hard to start.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
RCC Addict

what i think ill do, is im gonna have to pretty much start from scratch with the chassis. so ill start with the skid, line up the links and such, maybe even go back to leafs if i can mount them properly, but ill make sure i leave myself enough space to work the engine and the drivelines in, including the exhaust. i might be able to use some silicone joiner type material to shift the position of the expansion relative to the motor and run the rest of the exhaust off the stinger.

for minimising back pressure after the expansion, would i best keeping the same diameter pipe as the stinger or go one size larger? or would keeping the pipe size the same, actually benefit lower RPM torque production?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
RCC Addict

threw in the interior for mock up.

and playing with different shocks. can anyone say flex??

Old 05-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #20
RCC Addict

new pics.

everyone loves pics right???

so going to lay the engine on its side so its not poking out the bonnet.

like so>

which is good, coz its makes the exhaust sit underneath.

but thats gonna cause its own issues.

because the spur mounts on the opposite side to the exhaust (on the buggy it came from anyway) which will end up putting the spur above the motor and pretty much hangin out the bonnet.

so im pretty much gonna have to customise the header pipe regardless of whether i run the expansion or not, but seeing that its fairly small anyway (i forgot how small it actually was) and based on the internets (when is it ever wrong? :lolbeat: ) a longer header pipe will actually increase lower RPM torque at the expense of higher RPM power (also not an issue for me)

what i think ill do, is cut the header at the bend where it turns towards the side of the chassis and will probably run a bit of silicone tube from there to where i mount the expansion tank. or, just add a spacer to push the pipe away.. who knows... ill get stuck into the chassis on thursday as i said, ill be restarting from scratch with a brand new welder too i might add. :drool:

Klampyz Wraithokee - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Klampyz HSP MOA 1/8 klampykixx Superclass Crawlers 89 04-19-2013 09:02 AM
Klampyz Wraith turned F350 klampykixx 2.2 Scale Rigs 27 03-08-2013 12:54 AM
Hydro's Wraithokee a 1.9 wraith Hydro-Tank Axial Wraith 23 11-10-2012 11:01 PM
Klampyz KOH thing... klampykixx 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 07-29-2012 06:15 AM
Klampyz little F truck RIP :( 11/5/12 klampykixx Micro Scale Rigs 45 05-11-2012 04:27 AM