Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Mid 80's Dodge Power Ram build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Mid 80's Dodge Power Ram build

So my Power wagon lexan body is starting to crack in places, and I wanted to start more of a Pick-up for class 1 or 2. Had not seen one of this era yet, thought I'd give it a go. Just starting, not sure if this will actually stay 1.9, but for now it is. Clodbuster body as a base, I'll build from there.
Here is the start of my grill, still rough of course.

Quick fit, still a ways to go,

Helicopter Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Did a little more work on the Dodge. Got the front quarter panels squared up, the hood, roof and side panels roughed in. Here's a couple pics.

Been a bit busy with other stuff, but I'm starting to see it take shape, thanks for looking.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Mid 80's Dodge Power Ram build

Looks great back in those days dodges were rebuilt chevy's anyways so for recreating history down to that dirty little secret lol . On a serious note you did a great job so far . How do you like working with styrene ?? dodge owners this one was born a chevy !!! Show me more im subscribing to this one
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Haha! Probably true, but let's not forget who developed the first for civilian use 4X4 pickup truck, that which most modern day trucks can trace their roots to. Always up for a good Chevy/Ford/Dodge banter, as long as no one gets all serious and butthurt about it
Thanks for the compliments too, should start coming along more quickly now, though I need to figure out hinges for the hood, get the body filler on it and shaped, cut the bed off, and do up an interior.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodamis View Post
Looks great back in those days dodges were rebuilt chevy's anyways so for recreating history down to that dirty little secret lol . On a serious note you did a great job so far . How do you like working with styrene ?? dodge owners this one was born a chevy !!! Show me more im subscribing to this one
BS... Explain how.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
BS... Explain how.
I pretty much just own Dodges, though my wife now has a VW Beetle. Truthfully, I have not seen anything on any of them that links them to GM trucks. Up until 2005 I ran an '87 Power Ram 250, which is basically the inspiration for this build up. I miss my old truck

See your up in Maine, we just moved back here to Oregon from Dedham, right in between Bangor and Ellsworth. Wish I had my Scaler when we lived there, my whole back yard was full of granite boulders, would have been epic!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
BS... Explain how.
Lol he started with a clod chevy body and turned it Into a dodge ........... born a chevy ........ forced to a life of shame as a dodge lol thats like losing your kingship and be turned into a slave. Anyways it looks great the grill and bumped hood look like a dodge as well as the added side pieces I like it my styrene skills are as powerful as the 360 was in the mid 80's and it sucked . cheers bud
Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Damn good job so far. Dodge freak myself, I love the way those those old cummins sound.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Lol he started with a clod chevy body and turned it Into a dodge ........... born a chevy ........ forced to a life of shame as a dodge lol thats like losing your kingship and be turned into a slave. Anyways it looks great the grill and bumped hood look like a dodge as well as the added side pieces I like it my styrene skills are as powerful as the 360 was in the mid 80's and it sucked . cheers bud
I was referring to the statement that dodge was a rebuilt Chevy. What could possibly make you say that?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I was referring to the statement that dodge was a rebuilt Chevy. What could possibly make you say that?
Well lol the saying was passed on down from my dad , who is another chevy guy like myself its sort of like this saying as well . Dodge = Dodge Owners Don't Get Erections . It was just a saying is all .
Old 07-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

At least dodge built them into something good :P

And then I build them into something better

This is my 78 powerwagon turned APC, Don't worry though I'm not a crazy militia guy, I'm just heavily into milsim airsoft. This thing was left for dead in a field for 10 years and I resurrected it and built it into this thing!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Enough about me and my rolling junkyard. More of this build! It looks awesome, and I can't wait for more!
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well lol the saying was passed on down from my dad , who is another chevy guy like myself its sort of like this saying as well . Dodge = Dodge Owners Don't Get Erections . It was just a saying is all .
The "joke" is - FORD stands for fu*ked over repaired dodge.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter Len View Post

wow
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

That is a very impressive grill. I love the subtle edges and wow I have not seen styrene work of that caliber in quite a while! Lol turning a Chevy into a Dodge...awesome! I see plans for a hinged hood?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys! This isn't really my first shot at styrene, you can see my Skidder build in the bottom of the one picture. Taking a break from that for a little bit. It is really my first try at a truck though, so I do appreciate the positive comments, and can take constructive criticism. Yes the hood will be hinged, not sure how yet, thinking actual scale spring arms. The hood is not quite stock, modified a bit to be reminiscent of the late 60's, early 70's Charger and Challenger hoods with the low profile twin air scoops. Did some body filler today, then cut the bed off and closed up the back of the cab. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Here is a couple pictures of the cab. Not much different, just smoothed out now.
Again, thanks for checking it out.

Doing the bed separate allows me to use the regular bed, step side, flatbed, or do a truggy build
Old 07-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

looking awesome Len your working a little magic there. Got a name for the rig yet ? you should really make a box for it, are you doing a scaler class 1 or 2 or just building for the sake of building ??
Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
looking awesome Len your working a little magic there. Got a name for the rig yet ? you should really make a box for it, are you doing a scaler class 1 or 2 or just building for the sake of building ??
No name yet, I actually run my truck in both Class 1 & 2 with a swap of the wheels, so I'm thinking the stepside might be cool, would give me a bit more side clearance around rocks on off camber turns. And yeah, just building to see if I can and how it comes out

Last edited by Helicopter Len; 07-21-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

It would be awesome if you made the step side box like the the little red express trucks those looked pretty damn cool , my step dad was a dodge guy and growing up he had a 81 short box 4x4 dodge and he found a step side box for it . it looked pretty cool

Mid 80's Dodge Power Ram build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dodge ram build thread bergerone3 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 06-17-2013 12:20 PM
Project Dodge Power Ram mud-sweat-gears 1.9 Scale Rigs 39 09-10-2011 08:05 AM
My Dodge Ram Build. HahnsB2 Axial SCX-10 17 06-06-2011 07:14 PM
1.9 MRC Dodge Ram build fbuonpensiero 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 12-15-2009 08:04 AM
Dodge Ram Build - First Attempt CrawlerGraphics 1.9 Scale Rigs 77 04-06-2008 09:39 PM