Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Guzzy the RED TJ Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Guzzy the RED TJ Build

So I had been wheeling SCX10s with the lexan body for a few years and it was time to go hardbody. So I started a new rc build earlier this year. I had been wanting to weld up a full cage for my scx10 JK, but didnt want to cut out the roof and build an interior. So I found a used 1/10 TJ body in the classifieds and the build has begun. First of all in order to include the interior you have to eliminate the typical transmission location. I opted for a divorced setup from GCM and planned to use their motor mount as well.

Here is my jeep and my inspiration for a red TJ build. This build will be a bit more extreme than my real jeep, but I dont have to drive this RC to work!

Here is a teaser pic with the body just sitting on the frame.

the first step was sticker removal

Did a little bit of plastic experimenting to try to see if my body work idea would work. I had seen plenty of posts on here about people having trouble getting styrene to stick to the Newbright TJ bodies.

My original plan was to stretch the body using two TJ tubs and glue them together with a bit of styrene work. I soon changed my plan.

here is another sticker off shot

At this point I was worried about my bodywork holding together and also, how I was going to fit a steering servo up under the grill while still having my wheelbase stretched where I wanted it.

Last edited by skerb; 07-26-2013 at 09:29 AM.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Guzzy the RED TJ Build

my Tcase and motor mount came in from GCM and I found that I wasnt going to be able to use the motor mount like I had planned because there would be no room for a servo behind the grill and in front of the spur. So on to plan B

I spent some time bending some metal and finally settled on a design that let me mount my servo and motor and also clean up the front of the frame where it swooped down. In hind sight I should have mirrored the tranny and had the motor on the right side, but I didnt even think of that till after I was to far along.

At this point I finalized my decision to not stretch the body and to just comp cut it with some rear corner guards. Also, you can see how my winchplate/servo mount worked out with the grill.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

So, I mounted my rear shocks....not sure if its how I'll leave it but it works well. I also decided to see what the rear corner guards would look like, so I made some templates out of cardboard.

New rear shock mounts, I cut up some old aluminum skidplate from my honcho.

Another shot of the trimmed front servo mount/bumper.

With the basic shape cut out.

testing the flex and clearances

Next step is mounting the body and starting the cage I guess.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
RCC Addict

That wheelbase looks perfect. Your 1:1 looks like fun too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

got the body mounted. I made it hinge at the back at the frame, and then it has Velcro on the servo to hold the front down. The rear is a tight fit and keeps it mostly situated, the velcro is just for when it rolls over.

This is what I'm going to weld the cage to in the rear

Ride height with body mounted but no cage or rockers.

after lunch today and decided to work on the TJ. I really like working with this solid rod. I'm not sold on the grill hoop design thats why its not painted yet, but I like the cage. I went ahead and painted the cage. Its not bolted in in the pics and is about 1/4" higher than it is when its bolted in.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

quick top view of the cage triangulation. I wanted to add more, but every tube I add puts on the lbs...so I went for less is more. But I put enough so that it wont buckle when it rolls down some big hills.

The cage will hold up but I dont know about the body haha.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

this is the look I was going for with the grill hoop, but I cant get it to look just right. I think its because the frame is a bit narrower than the grill unlike in the 1:1 jeep.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
WOOPOOW!!

Awesome work there bud! Are you friends with Marcus Manley? I did one of his TJ that was very similar
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

we have Aluminum!

Also got my hardware in for the corners, beadlocks from MThead and got the Rockers finished minus paint.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Awesome work there bud! Are you friends with Marcus Manley? I did one of his TJ that was very similar

yeah, this build actually happened about a year ago, when I finished mine he started gathering parts to build his. You did a good job on his cage, now if I could just get him to bring it to a trail ride!

I hadn't done a build thread here, so I'm going back through my build pics and putting one together.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

the first test drive last march

Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Your rig is looking great! I have a nice tj body just like the one you started with. If you want a backup shoot me a pm.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

tried to clean up the electronics mounting a bit. here are some overall shots

Still have some body work, like trim off the tailgate posts, and make the full doors into half doors, but its in running condition now.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
Your rig is looking great! I have a nice tj body just like the one you started with. If you want a backup shoot me a pm.
pm sent
Old 07-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I had some black foam sheets in a drawer left from a project in college, It is super easy to work with and made making inner fenders like cake walk. I used CA glue to put it together and it seems to be perfect. I forgot to get some pics, but I'll try to snag some tonight. I think that will keep the dirt and mud out of the electronics pretty well.

Also cut the full doors into half doors.

its a bit crude, and still unpainted, but...its a half door. Gotta add a handle as well.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Nice work, you solved my problem for securing the rear of my jk to the the frame. I built a similar front bumper to the one you were wanting to make, your right it never quite looked right, I ended up making the hoop the size of the whole front of the jeep. I don't have any pics sorry. Keep playing around with that bumper, you'll figure it out!
FlipItOver! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I lowered the cage about 3/8" and I think it looks a lot better

At this point I had to rush to get it ready for some trail duty as we were heading to Harlan, KY for the OffroadSC.com Annual Ride and we had a number of guys with scalers coming for a few scale runs.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

The little jeep did great at OSCAR 2 and we had a great time in the real jeeps to. Can't wait to go back next april.

Wasn't sure how long those flimsy front flat fenders would hang on, and I got my answer as our group was climbing rail trail at Harlan. I tumbled off one of the waterfalls and lost a fender....ol well, Time to cut them off when I get home.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

So I finally sleeved my "temporary" lowers after wheeling on them for a few weeks and added heat shrink to my steering and uppers to make them look a bit less hack. Also trimmed off what was left of the fenders on the front since they were now both broken.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

had some time sunday night chilling in the garage and I decided to try something that I had been wondering about.

I took a piece of piano wire and some servo mounts and made a rear sway bar for the tj. Seems to work great at speed and still lets it flex pretty well.

Also built a rear bumper last week before the offroad festival to grab some scale points!

Guzzy the RED TJ Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Big Red Build Thread! PhantomRS10 Axial SCX-10 66 06-07-2016 03:23 PM
Moonys 'Big Red' 57 Chevy Build MoonyJohn 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 03-31-2012 08:25 PM
Gas Guzzy Auburn IN June 11 MonsterNerd1986 Indiana 0 05-02-2011 06:49 PM
A Red Neck Toy build.... kaetwo 1.9 Scale Rigs 109 10-06-2008 01:00 AM
#2191 1/6th Red Scorpion Build DUDE General Crawlers 10 04-26-2006 10:06 AM