Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: my highlift...modified,and with clod body.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default my highlift...4 linked!! clod

ok,between work and hobby,works been winning lately,but since i had a bit of freetime tonight,i got quite a bit accomplished,first off i started tearing down to put bearings in this one,and clean it up,check gearing backlash..and so forth.

i decided to jsut keep all 3 of my lifts,and start modding the hell out of this one...heres what ive got accomplished so far,removed all the un needed crap,fuel tanks,battery tray,skid plates,upper radio tray...

i used a few scrap peices of lexan to raise the trans up,and get some ground clearance out of this thing,ironically,the small tires dont seem to affect it,its the thing getting hung up on the damn center skid that gets me stuck everytime.the lexan is just temporary until i get into the hobby shop friday and get some aluminum sheet.

next up,since im really not a ford guy,and {shorty3} really came through on turnin the highlift into a bowtie,i picked up some clod bodies.

since most of the driving i do,seems to be just screwing around,i plan on getting as much weight as i can up front,since the highlifts stock tendencys are to "wheels up",when taking on a steep grade.i planned on adding one more leaf to the rear pack,and at least 2 more leafs to the front pack.

last up for the night,i threw on a set of moabs i had laying around just to see what it looked like,i think it looks great,im just not sure if thats the direction i wanna go,i think i will lower the body a bit more,and maybe either run the stock 'lift tires{since i love how grippy they are},or maybe a set of geos...i dunno,thoughts? opinions?

heres some pics.

oh,im also getting rid of that horrible stock steering setup,and just copying what stu,and the guys on RCC have done,i had planned on doing the same thing,just never got around to it.

argh,it seems while mocking up stuff and taking pics,the spacer slipped for the trans,so its leaning down in the front,no worries,it sits perfectly level now,its raised roughly an inch 1/4 above the stock mounting.

Last edited by 96ram85chevy; 10-25-2006 at 04:30 PM.
96ram85chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

looks like a bad a$$ jacked up chevy! Get some video of this beast! ASAP!
toomanyrcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up

The stock tires look the best
but thats just me
Why Be Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Nah, I love the 2.2's on it. Makes it look like the old Fall Guys truck.
jwrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
~THE SCALE SHOP~

body needs lowering
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

yeah i know it needs lowering,im going to stick wit hthe stock tires..since i raised the trans,thats as low as i could get it,but i found a way to get the trans ALOT lower,but still give alot more ground clearance...it looks a ton better right now,ill nab some pics ina few.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrape
Nah, I love the 2.2's on it. Makes it look like the old Fall Guys truck.
OMFG!!!

Because of that show I now have a crack in my scull and a scar from 28 stiches in the back of my head. Lets just say that no 4 year old that has a tricycle and a pinic table in the back yard should see the begining of that show.
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

That truck looks awesome!!

Are those real lights on top or just fake ones?
Racefan1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

well,stock they are fake...but i modified them a tad sothat i could install LED'S in them.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:34 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

well,got a bit more done tonight,after seeing everyones modded steering setups,i decided to change mine as well,but with a twist! personally,i think mine looks a bit more scale then most ive seen,and works really good too!

the knuckles come close to hitting the shocks,but its at the point where the axles start to come out of the drivecups,so it fits the bill for me,turns just as sharp as it did before,probably sharper actually since the stock servo saver sucks.

anyways,i flipped the knuckles around,and upside down,so that the tierod would be in front,moved the shift servo over to the drivers side of the truck,and plopped the steering servo in right next to it,with the horn facing the front of the truck. i ended up using a TLT link for the steering rod off the servo to the knuckle.

i also lifted the body up,so that the clod body looks a bit better,its MUCH lower then before,and i might lower it further,what do you guys think?

anyways,enough gabbing,onto the pics.

here you can see the "bodylift"

i also need to drop the shift servo down about a 1/4 inch more,and flop the servo arm over to the drivers side,right now its binding,i forgot to flip it before i put the steering servo in LOL,i was to lazy to take it all apart again,thats what im working on right now!

my concern is,what do you guys think about the ride height?i could lower it a bit more,or does it look proportionate as it sits?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:11 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up

That looks SWEEEEET right there
Old 10-20-2006, 06:31 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

a few more updated pics....currently with this setup,the shift servo stays in its 100% stock position,the steering servo fits in right next to it,with the horn facing forward....this works exactly like a crossover type steeringsetup on fullsize trucks,and so far,it works great,ill do some outdoor testing today,along with some video,we'll see how it works,but so far so good indoors!

heres the pics..

it looks like its sitting higher in the front,it is,but i have to trim the front valance panel,it hits the frame,i just need to notch it,i left in on in the pics cuz it looks like crap without it.

also,looking at the pics myself,it looks like it needs to be lowered a tad more...
Old 10-20-2006, 06:47 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Talking

OMFG!!!lose that fawkin ugly chevy body! Gosh
J/K man it looks good
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up

that is the sweeeeetist high lift i have ever seen
keep up the good work
who cares what every one else think
what counts is what u think
ten thumbs up
Old 10-21-2006, 08:03 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Default painted pics,and winch...with video!

i dunno why but the camera makes it look HORRIBLE,i dunno it looks good in person,i still need to color wetsand,but i figured id toss it on the truck so it can fully cure.

anyways...i also made a winch,works pretty good,right now im modding a 645mg servo hoping to get some more pull,the s3003 will pull the truck,BARELY.

i also got te aluminum sheet and tubing i needed for the other things im doing to the truck,ill post more progress pics later on.

heres what ya got for now

the new tekin rebel2,i finally pulled it outta the box! works great,i love it,gives the servos so much more damn ooomphhh!

ive since replaced the fishing line with kevlar rope,so far we have put a 50 pound stress test on this,and it wouldnt break. i also picked up some aluminum tubing to replace the antenna tube{which guides the winch rope}

im hoping the alum tube will alow for less severe angles,and a smoother pull.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up Sweeeeeeeeeeeet

This thing just keeps gitting sweeter and sweeter every time u post
10 Thumbs up still
Old 10-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #17
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

Default great minds think alike.

Funny those are the same exact mods i did too. aside from that,i think i made my steering link a little different and my winch spoolwas smaller, i did my body lift completly different, the bed lines up perfect. i dunno about the clod body though. you should sell me your f350.mine exploded
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:09 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

thanks for the comments guys,sorry bud,the f350 body is already spoken for..

little update...i upgraded my crappy antenna tube {router} for the winch cable,to aluminum tubing,it works freaking FABULOUS! i also ripped the s3004 servo i used for the mockup....and tossed in a hitec 5995? i forgot the numbers,its the one with 333 oz torque

this thing pulls WAY more then 20 pounds,we swapped the servo in at the hobby shop,hooking the winch to a nail on the ceiling,it will flat out yank the highlift off the ground,it also pulled a table,and made it fall..i got the videos,but its to late to upload em,ill get em up tommoroww.

another FYI,my steering mod works awesome,no bumpsteer,and with the hitec 5995? same one with 333,it rips the wheels left or right...no matter whats in the way,if somethings blocking the tire from turning,it moves the whole damn truck over,its rather impressive.

i also got video tonight from our local r/c getogether night,my mildly modded hilift will outpull a txt with an emaxx trans and 2 mag mayhems,that little pulloff won me a little bit of cash tonight,NOBODY thought the itty bitty chevy could outpull the TXT.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:15 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

crappy updated winch video,im still waiting on my buddy to either send me the vids from yesterday,or to finish editing them...
Old 10-25-2006, 04:29 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

well,i got the rear of mine 4 linked,didnt have to drill or mod anything really,just used some TLT parts,and a mix of the highlift parts,it works good though,just need to figure out the shocks...there the only thing limiting flex,which i might jsut leave them,since the flex is a ton better then stock,but still somewhat scale looking....heres the pics,yes i know i need to adjust the links up abit more to get the wheelbase centered again,i just got lazy and my hands hurt from doing this all morning long LOL

heres the pics.....