Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: chevy C30 or K30? towrig,for my highlift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default chevy C30 or K30? towrig,for my highlift

well,i was glancing at some of the beaten TC stuff ive got laying around,and figured what the hell...lets make a towrig..granted it isnt scale drivetrain wise...but *shrug* it aint bad...should work pretty good.

its based off a HPI rs4 rally,extended chassis,with flipped rear arms,wheelbase was a spot on match without having to drill,or modify anything,basically all i need to do is add an extended peice onto the rearward part of the chassis,and it will work just great.

im tossing the idea back and forth about 2wd,or 4wd...im kind of leaning towards 2wd dually,also kicking the idea back about using the spare XC axle i have,so then it would technically be "scale" sold rear axle,and independent front.

ideas? thoughts? opinions?

onto the pics,these are basically in the infant stages of me messing with this thing through the night,im thinking also if i dont get any interest out of the spare novak 4.5 setup i have,tossing that motor into the towrig

anyways,on to the pics....

ok,now...stay with the bfgs?,dually the thing? or use standard touring car rubber...perhaps the hpi vintage

i was thinking gunmetal grey paintjob,with the anthrocite vintage wheels and rubber...would look SICK
96ram85chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

CLEAN those wheels/tires up and use them!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

well,i had planned on just buying a new set of the bfg's if i stayed with the "bigger" truck look,and was thinking about the aluminum 5star wheels that are all over ebay.

i dunno,im tossed up as to what route to take with this thing.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

get some of those 2.4 8ball wheels and slam it for a change
Nitro_Geezer_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

hows about that?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

that looks awesome but lower is always better. what are you doing with the hood? you filling the hole or using the blower? i have a tow rig in progress so im curios how to do my own hood

Last edited by gooba; 10-23-2006 at 08:51 AM.
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

im going to fill this one in completely,no body post holes,no gaping hole in the hood,i planned on an attempt at a 6 inch cowl,for the "racy" look...since i plan on putting my 4.5 brushless into this thing{if it doesnt sell},it'll look the part,but it will damn sure play the part as well.

im also kickin back the idea of letting a friend of mine cut this one,and my other one up and making it a crewcab longbed.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

now that would be awesome, a crew cab dually, slammed with a 4.5r. if its still gonna be a tow vehicle better make sure your cargo is secure!
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

the more i think about it,the more apeal there is in the crewcab dually...with the 4.5R

i wonder how the 4.5 would cope with pulling such a heavy load?

without getting funky,i cant gear this thing down to much,but it should be sufficient to haul the highlift around,id think....
Old 10-23-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ram85chevy
im tossing the idea back and forth about 2wd,or 4wd...im kind of leaning towards 2wd dually,also kicking the idea back about using the spare XC axle i have,so then it would technically be "scale" sold rear axle,and independent front.
Technically you would need a solid front axle also to be scale because it was the next body version(88 and up) that started the indi front suspension.

You gonna make the wide rear fenders for the duallies? cause that would look sweet. Gonna be a cool truck no matter what you do to it, can't wait to see it finished.
Racefan1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If you wanted to go for a dually try to find a hilux bed like this to use for the fenders, might work. A littlte trimming and it would look all right. I'm just not sure about the sizes.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

crew cab dualy
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

an old blackfoot bed will work too and pretty close on proportions
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

crew cab dually, with the mean cowl induction. Make it mean lookin'
Mello_Yello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

well,when i said scale with the indy front and solid rear,i meant it was going to be a 2wd crewcab dually.

im well informed on the 73-87,91 style c/k pickups...

heres a poser shot from todays outting...

ok,heres the final plan for this truck,its going to be lowered,crewcab'd,and the bed extended to an 8 ft {scale} bed,6 inch cowl hood,dually fenders i nthe rear,and one hell of a sinister paint job.

if theres no interested in my novak 4.5 that ih ave for sale right now,within a few days ill pull it from being for sale,and it will be the powerplant for this truck...

so to recap,2wd dually,most likely with a xc rear axle...and HPI indy front from my rs4...my 2spd tranny,and the 4.5....should give the thing enough grunt on the bottom end to pull the heavy thing,and once second gear hits.....

Last edited by 96ram85chevy; 10-23-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:57 PM   #16

Sounds like a great idea!...
UmrKOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:16 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

ok,after some insight from a friend of mine who stopped by,i think im going to use an XC chassis...for a few reasons,ill name off the positives we came up with..

first off,with a 4.5 motor...rwd only would be quite hair raising,let alone probably impossible to get to full tilt,without spinning out and rolling over a milion times. so the 4wd of the XC,wins this vote in my book.

second,the XC is alot narrower then the RS4 i was using,so the tires can be even with the wheelwells,or even tucked in if i want them to be,another hands down win in my book.

third is the ease of modification,basically a cut and splice together of 2 chassis's.

now for the cons,its going to be 4wd,with indy front,totally unscale...but who cares really,its going to be so low anyways,it will be hard to tell,it will look like a lowered 2wd,BUT i should be able to give it some hard throttle without the tail swinging all over the place,and the bright side is,i can always yank the front dogbones out if i want to get froggy with it.

so that is the final plan as of right now,XC chassis lengthed

crewcab dually clod with lengthened bed,and a 6 inch cowl hood,it should fit the bill quite nicely.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:43 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

looks awesome lowered, some sick killer lime green flames would set it off a treat against the white background
Nitro_Geezer_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Heres what you can do to the hood really easy to do. My bodys not done yet lots of filling in to do.

click on link below

Last edited by kickback_crawler; 10-24-2006 at 05:22 PM.
kickback_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

That thing is going to look sick slammed dually style. not to rush you or any thing but get'r done.
need some carbon fiber is offline   Reply With Quote