Old 02-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #61

Default Re: Another TSAB build,'66 F100

looks good man lovin the links
royt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #62
Built, not bought

Time for electronics and radio.Haven't built anything in a while so,any suggestions?
I'm leaning towards the HH BRXL (waterproofed) and 27t combo.Also thinking about their new servo.Before I commit,I figured I'd get some input.
As far as radio goes,I'd like something in a 3 or 4 channel that I can control lights,etc. from.Will be getting the remote for the winch so,that isn't needed from the radio.Then,i'll need so batteries other than the ones I have for my Slash.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

I'm looking to pick up a Dx3c or a FS-GT3C tx soon. I bet either would be good for you, and there is a Dx4c coming out in May but you probably don't want to wait that long to drive. Haha

Love the cookie out in the light. Looks amazing!
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #64
RCC Addict

That body in those colors - that's sharp!
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #65
Built, not bought

Got my bumper brackets cut.Now I can start working on them as soon as I have some free time.
Also got a new style ring cut that I wanted to see if the waterjet could do.Designed these several years ago but,had problems cutting them before.The new and improved one we have now seem to able to do it.Now I just have to decide which rings I want to use since I have 4 different ones to choose from.
Let me know what you think of the new ones.I still have to drill the holes to proper size and,counterbore them for the hardware.
Also,ordered the HH combo and servo I mentioned in the other post and,went today and bought a Spektrum DX4s.I talked to rbgerrish and he said it should do what I want.Bonus is,it came with 2 receivers so,I don't have to buy one to be able to use it with my Slash too.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Man I wish I would have went with this body instead of the betty body. I love old fords.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #67

Are you a fellow machinist ? Just noticed your 123 blocks. Nice build by the way.
cb44v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #68
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb44v View Post
Are you a fellow machinist ? Just noticed your 123 blocks. Nice build by the way.

Yes I am and,thanks.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #69
Built, not bought

Got a little package in the mail today.Nothing like a little Holmes Hobby goodness.
Hopefully I can make some time this weekend to get everything set up.Getting SOOOOOOOO close.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #70
Built, not bought

OK.Since I've never wired a BEC before,I have a stupid renewbie question.I borrowed this pic from the "Definitive wiring diagrams" thread.I just want to make sure this is correct.Also,when wiring my winch (battery leads) can I just splice into the main battery and,do I want a separate BEC for it?
Ill be using the wireless controller with the RC4WD Warn winch.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Looks like you got it, that's how I do mine. As far as the winch goes they will work on 3s but may not last too long. If you are using 2s you will be fine with that winch. Love the way this looks, I'm kind of a 66 ford guy I only say that because I have been around one since I was 5.
sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Looks great Pat ! Don't cut the bec signal wire. You may find you need to run a ground back to the Rx from the servo, Spektrum radios like that. It is only necessary if you get some weird clutching symptoms.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #73
Built, not bought

OK,so I picked up a y harness today and am wanting to make sure it's right.
If I have it right,I can just cut the signal wire (yellow) from the female plug to the BEC.Then I just cut the power (red?) to the male plug to the RX.I think I'll leave the ground to the RX since if I read right,Spektrums have a tendency to glitch without the ground.Does this sound about right?
Here's a pic I borrowed from another thread.The only difference is I'd need to cut the BEC signal wire.
Having these stupid questions makes me realize how long it's been since I actually had a RUNNING truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by 62PYRO; 02-21-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Truck looks great! Nice color choice.
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Sounds right, although I have never used a splitter. I will see if I can confuse you even more....

I use a junction block or a distribution block. Heyok sells them, PM him they are not listed.OR, you can cut up an old Rx and use the distribution block there since all the powers are bonded as are the grounds. Clear, as,mud so far ? You only need the power and ground pins so you can trim the block accordingly.

Depending on the Rx you choose you will have three of four rows to use. Plug the bec into a slot(doesn't matter which one you use) now pull the signal wire from your servo. If you have and extra plastic end from an old dead servo or esc insert the signal wire from your servo onto it and then plug that into your Rx. F you don't have a spare plastics end you can just plug the pin from the signal wire into the Rx(make sure it is snug, pinch it a bit if you need to.

Now address the extra ground going back to the Rx....I plug in a 3" extension with the power and signal removed.

You now have a servo powered direct from bec with a ground back to the Rx. Nice part of this is now you can plug your winch into the junction block the same way with signal going into Rx.

I really find this useful on a C3 rig as the rear steer servo also plugs into the junction block just like the front servo does. Or when additional lights as they just plug into the dist block also, works well for lighting controllers that turn you light on/off from the tx too.

Sounds a bit complicated but it actually cleans up the wiring (you don't have multiple y harnesses for front, rear servo and winches or light controllers.)and makes it easy to trouble shoot. Added bonus is you don't do any harm to the original components if you ever need to reuse them in another build or return for warranty service.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Digging it Pat. Love the body and color combo!

I have a similar project that's sitting on my shelf for the last 3 years or so (guess I've officially joined the TSAB builders guild).

It's mini axle based and used a 55 Chevy body.

Hope it looks similar to this some day, I just have to finish it.....
Attached Images

dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #77
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Sounds right, although I have never used a splitter. I will see if I can confuse you even more....

I use a junction block or a distribution block. Heyok sells them, PM him they are not listed.OR, you can cut up an old Rx and use the distribution block there since all the powers are bonded as are the grounds. Clear, as,mud so far ? You only need the power and ground pins so you can trim the block accordingly.

Depending on the Rx you choose you will have three of four rows to use. Plug the bec into a slot(doesn't matter which one you use) now pull the signal wire from your servo. If you have and extra plastic end from an old dead servo or esc insert the signal wire from your servo onto it and then plug that into your Rx. F you don't have a spare plastics end you can just plug the pin from the signal wire into the Rx(make sure it is snug, pinch it a bit if you need to.

Now address the extra ground going back to the Rx....I plug in a 3" extension with the power and signal removed.

You now have a servo powered direct from bec with a ground back to the Rx. Nice part of this is now you can plug your winch into the junction block the same way with signal going into Rx.

I really find this useful on a C3 rig as the rear steer servo also plugs into the junction block just like the front servo does. Or when additional lights as they just plug into the dist block also, works well for lighting controllers that turn you light on/off from the tx too.

Sounds a bit complicated but it actually cleans up the wiring (you don't have multiple y harnesses for front, rear servo and winches or light controllers.)and makes it easy to trouble shoot. Added bonus is you don't do any harm to the original components if you ever need to reuse them in another build or return for warranty service.
Scary part is,this almost makes sense to me.
I think I'll have to get an old RX and give it a try when I need to power more stuff.I like the idea of controlling lights from the TX.That is the one thing I don't like about the setup on my Slash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Digging it Pat. Love the body and color combo!

I have a similar project that's sitting on my shelf for the last 3 years or so (guess I've officially joined the TSAB builders guild).

It's mini axle based and used a 55 Chevy body.

Hope it looks similar to this some day, I just have to finish it.....
Get busy.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62PYRO View Post
Scary part is,this almost makes sense to me.
I think I'll have to get an old RX and give it a try when I need to power more stuff.I like the idea of controlling lights from the TX.That is the one thing I don't like about the setup on my Slash.

Get busy.

Just don't have the desire.

I hang on to the last few projects in hope that a spark is reignited, but I'm contemplating selling my remaining projects as well.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #79
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Just don't have the desire.

I hang on to the last few projects in hope that a spark is reignited, but I'm contemplating selling my remaining projects as well.
I know that feeilng.
It's funny how this body coming out could put a spark back in me.Lots of ideas now,just not enough time for them all.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #80
Pebble Pounder

epic build! I love that body! now you have me wanting to build one up as well, so many ways it can go! i really like the links a LOT. wana machine me out a set
OGXXXOG is offline   Reply With Quote

Another TSAB build,'66 F100 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
f100 and 32 kalifkid Non Crawler RC's 4 02-18-2011 10:24 PM
stock sxc10tr - ford f100 build Jrshooter11 Axial SCX-10 6 01-29-2010 06:52 PM
TCS X-trail Ford F100 Build Slickrock450 2.2 Scale Rigs 7 03-28-2008 07:06 AM
F100 SaVaGe MaN SS Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 02-19-2008 05:49 PM