Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Chevy Crewcab Dually Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #361
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Chevy Crewcab Dually Build

It's coming together! I've been traveling and missed some updates. No help on the details. Scoop, no scoop, double sunroofs, single? I just can't tell. Run with whatever hits you. Also...look into UPS...they have some Killer boxes that are suitcase style that are perfect size for a dually build. They don't have them at every store, but it would be perfect for keeping the new rig safe and sound. Remind me tomorrow and I'll post up a pic. G
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #362
I wanna be Dave

Thanksgiving is a Time for Giving Thanks… for Hassle-free Travel | upside Blog
Old 07-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #363
Quarry Creeper

Thanks G! I'll look into that!
Hwheeler73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 AM   #364
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwheeler73 View Post
Thanks G! I'll look into that!
Jesse,

Horrible link...I apologize. The focus is on the actual box, not the UPS hooplah. Text me to remind me and I'll post up a picture. G
Old 07-03-2014, 01:36 AM   #365
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Jesse,

Horrible link...I apologize. The focus is on the actual box, not the UPS hooplah. Text me to remind me and I'll post up a picture. G

LOL! No big deal. I will.

Sent from the great unknown.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #366
Quarry Creeper

I had a Lexan scoop that came with the GTO body that I used for another build. It was the perfect size! And just because I'm all about being different, I'm leaving both sunroofs!
Old 07-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #367
Quarry Creeper

Default Chevy Crewcab Dually Build

So I'm moving right along with the new cab. I got the cab back done, , and now I'm working on what to me is the hard part. A friend of mine that builds custom rifles brought up using a newer version of JB Weld. I sets up quick. It's sand-able. It's bonds very well to plastic. And it's extremely strong! So i decided to give it a try! . We'll see how it does. I did use it on the cab back around the edges before I put the bondo on. I'm very happy with how it came out!
Old 07-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #368
Quarry Creeper

Oh! I forgot to post this up too! It took forever but I got the wheels looking like I've wanted from the start!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #369
Rock Stacker

Looks great. Glad to see you've had the chance to make some progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gcm2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #370
Pebble Pounder

Glad to see you are able to post up some progress too. I'm interested to get your feedback on that JB Weld. I hadn't heard of a new compound by them, let us know how it turns out.
TriggerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #371
I wanna be Dave

Did they run out of bondo? I would imagine the JB is a lot harder to work with. The cab back looks really sharp.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #372
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Did they run out of bondo? I would imagine the JB is a lot harder to work with. The cab back looks really sharp.
No, I got that too! LOL! It does take a little more effort to sand it down. If you wait a few minutes for it to get semi hard, then you can use a razor blade to cut through it and shape it a little better before it sets up. That will cut down on sanding time. There are 2 benefits that I see over Bondo for the first coat. The first is obvious, it's a lot stronger. So not only are you filling gaps, and in this case making a shape, but you're also creating a bond. The second is that when sanding it down, it's just as hard to sand as the plastic so once you get down to where it's even with the plastic, they sand down together. In most cases, Bondo sands down easier than the plastic so if you sand too long, then you have a dent in the Bondo that you'll have to fill again. This stuff is not a replacement for Bondo! I only used it for the initial coat! The JB Weld will also not shrink like some of the fillers that are out there when it's painted over!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #373
Rock Crawler

it looks pretty long whats the wheelbase?
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #374
Quarry Creeper

Default Chevy Crewcab Dually Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
it looks pretty long whats the wheelbase?

15 and a half hub to hub. Of course, I don't like to brag! LOL!

Last edited by Hwheeler73; 07-13-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #375
I wanna be Dave

Excellent point about the hardness of the JB and styrene being closer in hardness. On my most recent build (the new Ford) I even fought against sanding the pinhole filler against the primer! The point is to fill the hole and then you sand the filler and grind down the primer...making a hole that needs to be filled again!!!! Major BANGHEAD! No wonder why it's taken me four months!

Oh, and I just measured the wheelbase on the showtruck...15 7/8"...just in case there's a turning radius challenge out there. We can both use six lanes and two backups!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #376
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Excellent point about the hardness of the JB and styrene being closer in hardness. On my most recent build (the new Ford) I even fought against sanding the pinhole filler against the primer! The point is to fill the hole and then you sand the filler and grind down the primer...making a hole that needs to be filled again!!!! Major BANGHEAD! No wonder why it's taken me four months! Oh, and I just measured the wheelbase on the showtruck...15 7/8"...just in case there's a turning radius challenge out there. We can both use six lanes and two backups!
I started out in High School doing body work and painting cars so I know what to do and how. It's a 100 times easier to work on a real car though! You are so right about all the little tiny stuff!

As for the turning radius.... NO DOUBT!!!! My truck takes forever to make a U-turn!!!! I swear, I'm going to hook up individual rear brakes on the dang thing just to make it turn sometime before I die! LMAO! And I've got the front steering turning all the way till the tires touch the leaf springs! There's just no more steering to be had. Oh well, they still look cool as hell!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:52 PM   #377
I wanna be Dave

sounds like you need to xr10 mod a vp axle. lol
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #378
Rock Stacker

So in your quest to be different with this truck and take it a notch above anything else put there I think it would be awesome if you found a way to have both of your sunroofs cracked open in the rear just like you would do with a real one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gcm2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #379
Quarry Creeper

Hey everyone! This isn't really an update on the dually itself. I'll admit, I've gotten sidetracked from it by other projects. This update pertains to something that I've wanted sense I started this build. I finally got my gooseneck trailer! Huge thanks to travis reynolds for the work! He was patient with me and did an outstanding job!!! So here it is!

Sent from the great unknown!
Attached Images

Last edited by Hwheeler73; 08-11-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 AM   #380
Quarry Creeper

I've been playing around with the gooseneck and adding some details to it, some of which haven't seen done by anyone else. I got all of the lights installed and wired up. The winch and lights run off a battery under the trailer. I want to figure out how to link into the truck though for brake and turn signals without a big group of wires between the two. I have an idea for that when I have some extra time. I've also started on a chain rack. I looked at pics on the net of a bunch of different real ones and then just took it from there. I even made a cover out of scale diamond plate to lock the chains in. I still need to build my chain binders, as seen a while back in this thread, and I will figure out a way to hang them on the rack as well. I'm thinking I'll paint the rack black and I'll have some more of the diamond plate as accent.

Sent from the great unknown!
Attached Images

Chevy Crewcab Dually Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Banks Power F350 Crewcab Dually Bulldog 1.9 Scale Rigs 37 06-19-2014 12:21 PM
Bud Hauler F350 Dually Crewcab Bulldog 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 02-19-2013 06:16 PM
09 F350 crewcab dually badBKO 2.2 Scale Rigs 22 11-07-2011 07:52 PM
Showroom stock 90's ford F350 dually crewcab longbox! cloddyman 1.9 Scale Rigs 17 05-25-2011 08:48 PM
F550 CrewCab dually W/ Gooseneck CUSTOMHILUX 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 10-07-2009 06:05 PM