Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Jethro's Ibex build (Harley's Plans Scaled for 1.9's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Jethro's Ibex build (Harley's Plans Scaled for 1.9's)

Again, out of my element, but can someone tell me if I'm going to have clearance issues here with a MIP / Junfac style dogbone shaft?

Probably about 1/16" of safe clearance there. I know the MIP's look bigger, but tough to tell, & can't seem to find a side by side pic anywhere.
Jethrobodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Look on hobby king site, they have 20c 3c 2200 packs for around $8 so a 2c would be even cheaper.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
savagebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

nice IBEX build! I'm thinking of building myself one but was wondering what your chassis weight came out to be since you decided to use 1/4" round solid-stock?
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

I started with 1/4" on the full scale wraith plans. Scrapped that & this one is 3/16". I don;t have a good scale, but will try & get a weight on it while it's still bare. It seems heavy to me, but I don't have anything to really compare to other than bone stock stuff.

My scrapped, barely started 1/4" chassis weighed almost as much as the finish braced 3/16 one though.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:17 PM   #45
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
nice IBEX build! I'm thinking of building myself one but was wondering what your chassis weight came out to be since you decided to use 1/4" round solid-stock?
A fully assembled, fully braced version of the plans to scale comes in at about 2 lbs. You can get away with much less if you don't want to add all the bracing for scale detail.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

I'd say that's very close. I know I used almost exactly 20ft of 3/16 to do it, & according to the calc. that'd be ~1.87#, add in some weld weight & scale it up 10% & we're right in the same ballpark. I'd had the idea that a solid / tube hybrid would be cool to save a little weight & keep strength, but I don't know that the weight savings would be worth it for what would equate out to a few ounces.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:33 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Waiting on the mailman to bring me some goodies for this thing. Still sitting torn apart with alot of unanswered questions, but addressing several issues that have arose & annoyed me while I've got it apart.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
A fully assembled, fully braced version of the plans to scale comes in at about 2 lbs. You can get away with much less if you don't want to add all the bracing for scale detail.
sweet, that's fairly light I'd guess. dunno, i've never had a full tuber - but will sometime later this year when i tackle the IBEX...but a 4-seater
definitely planning on using solid rod. tried the tube thing on a few projects and it was definitely not as strong as solid 3/16 for the same item.

jethro - do you have a side shot of the rig with the new belly height?
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Not yet, never got put back together. The to do list just keeps growing the more I read & think on it.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #50
Pebble Pounder

No real progress, just alot of staring at it & thinking. I did get all new links made up for it though. Went to Jato rod ends (could pretty much strip a 3mm on command it seemed before. Just too heavy for them) Toying with the Idea of a shock change-up, mocking the slash rears to the fronts & considering longer options for the rear.

Also ordered all new axles. Going to do a few basic strength upgrades & see how it holds up for now. Old ones were just very aged, plastic was getting brittle, everything getting sloppy, & were much better suited for a dirt cheap 2nd rig beater build (You do what you got to sometimes to slip logic by the wife )
Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #51
RCC Addict

i like your spare tire mount, perfect for 1.9's, but no way i'd stuff a 2.2 in there

What axles you going with?
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Remember, I scaled the chassis down 10%. I think a 2.2 spare would be possible at full drawing scale.

Just stock SCX/AX10 axles for now. Will do AN XR10 upgrade one of these days, but plan to stay with this basic axle. Unless I go to a chassis mounted servo, I'm committed to a center diff / servo to clear the chassis through suspension travel.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

In my best Tim Allen voice..... ugh arg uuuuuuugh.... HORSEPOWER!

Old 04-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Been busy in the 1:1 offroading, but been doing lots of mock-up.

Blurry picture, but the keen eye will notice I moved the shift servo as far forward as possible & trimmed the mounting plate about 1/2". New battery tray installed. really wanted battery to front of cabin, but the asymmetry of the cabin wasn't allowing it to happen. The motor / transmission balanced it out pretty well though, & still has a very centered weight mass.

Reworked the front shock mounts & frame rails to accommodate the slash rears. It's tight up there, but everything just clears.

Now have some respectable flex, & a slight rear suspension dominance (which I've learned I prefer in an RC)

Sitting on a 3" block, with just enough traction still on the tires to get off if needed

I'll put these 2 side by side. Old belly height VS. New

About 1/4" between skid & block, so ~2 1/4"

About 1/2" interference:

Made for a ~3/4" belly clearance gain. Hopefully that's enough to make things a little less annoying in the rocks. UHMW is alot slicker than the kydex I was using too, so fingers crossed.

Overall very pleased with the new suspension feel. I had some link bind before, & the upper universal shock mounts were binding at the ends of flex. Reamed upper mount for a ball end, & put a slight bend in lower links to prevent chassis bind, & it's now silky smooth through full flex. Hopefully will work a little better in the rocks, it was almost like rock crawling a low geared stadium truck before.

Last edited by Jethrobodean; 04-14-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Not alot of update, other than it moves under it's own power again, & boy does it move Loving the crawlmaster with the 2 speed.

MOdified some TH wheels to keep on the Maxxis' for a little extra width & IMO a little better look. & finished out some details & wiring.

I've got a half interior & a couple panels to finish out the interior & I'm calling it done.

Now for the "but"...... The speed is awesome, & the look is exactly what I set out to build, but I'm beginning to wonder if 1.9's are for me. All that power & I struggle on things that a basically stock AX10 walks right up. Wondering if maybe a tire change may help, just don't seem to be getting the traction I'm used to. Could be the front bias vs. centered weight too, or the chassis vs. unsprung weight. Going to stick with it for a while & feel it out some though. Hoping to make a local scale run in June with it.

For those wondering, according to my fish scales (all I had to get a decent weight), it come in right at 8# fully dressed with the 5000mah battery.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Stay 1.9's since that's what it is scaled at, just get some stickier tires. The 2.2's on my rig make it too easy to drive for my liking but it'll be ideal for bashing and the wife to trail with
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #57
Pebble Pounder

If I step up to 2.2, it'll be a whole new chassis & AR60 axles.

Seems alot like the Pitbulls, but they run a little small, this thing suits a taller 1.9 better, so considering the TSL XL's.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #58
20K Club

There are some new tall Pitbulls coming that will fit the bill very well. Grab them when they hit stores in the next month.

Also, the Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Challenge is hitting Columbia on June 21st. You should think about coming up and joining us with this little rig.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Always nice to have an inside track on upcoming parts. I was just thinking last night that a ~4.75" rocker would be sweet. Any details on actual size yet?

I actually signed up this morning. Through total accident I ended up on a Columbia RC FB page, looking for a local track to test out this things track abilities, & saw it posted just a few hours later. Just happens to fall on a completely free weekend for me, so a no brainer to try & make it. You running a 1.9 or a 2.2 for it?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #60
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethrobodean View Post
Always nice to have an inside track on upcoming parts. I was just thinking last night that a ~4.75" rocker would be sweet. Any details on actual size yet?

I actually signed up this morning. Through total accident I ended up on a Columbia RC FB page, looking for a local track to test out this things track abilities, & saw it posted just a few hours later. Just happens to fall on a completely free weekend for me, so a no brainer to try & make it. You running a 1.9 or a 2.2 for it?
They are 4.75" tall, they look just like the 1.55 Growler but taller. Really nice looking tire.

I don't know that I'll be running for sure, I may just focus on making sure the event runs smoothly. If I do run, it will be my 1.9 Mattzilla rig.

Jethro's Ibex build (Harley's Plans Scaled for 1.9's) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley's Ibex Goat Built Wraith Harley Axial Wraith 57 09-09-2019 02:19 PM
2.2 Ibex build MNorby 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 10-03-2015 07:20 AM
Harley's Workshop Build Harley General Crawlers 728 07-15-2014 09:26 AM
XR10 build plans CRAWLERJOE Axial XR10 10 09-26-2012 11:16 PM
Harley's Venom Build Harley Venom Creeper 13 01-28-2009 11:39 PM