Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Cone Dodger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Cone Dodger

I love all the ultra4 builds and where this rock crawling sport is going, however there is a soft spot in my heart for the slow technical cone dodgers. I honestly think W.E. Rock is going to make a huge comeback in the future.

So this will be a Pro Mod class build. This will not have crazy horsepower, but slow / smooth control.

Specs so far:
- toyzilla comp buggy chassis (I always loved the styling of the 1:1 Barnes 4wd buggy this is based off of). Lue's build thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-s...omp-buggy.html
- Yota scale axles (3 link front , 4 link rear)
- R2 Heavy duty trans
- 100mm ultimate scale shocks
- HH BRXL
- HH 27 turn torquemaster
- 7955 servo
- Treps
- 3s 1300s.
- more to come

Going for a wheel base around 11 - 12 inches. Just a little guy compared to my 2.2 rig.

I have a few essential parts coming this week. Parts so far:

tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Cone Dodger

I'd bet this thing's going to be killer.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Got some parts late last week: My yota axles, 3/4 link, and my R2 skid.

A few thoughts:

YOYA AXLES:
I received the XVDs with the yota axles, and after installing had a real hard time getting both screws in the knuckles to engage. Did some searching, and realized (in some cases, not all) washers and c-clips have to be removed from the XVDs to get the knuckles to fit properly. Did that, and they went together fine.

I love the look of these, super scale and perfect for a slow crawler:

3 LINK with PANHARD:
Ugg, I am such a noob when it comes to the 3 link. I know the panhard, and drag link need to be the same angle. However, my servo horn, no matter which way I install my servo will come into contact with the panhard. What am I doing wrong? Can I bend the panhard bar? But does that throw off the geometry?

R2 SKID:
I have always had great success with my HD r2, so bought the skid for the scx. Super clean install. Need some anti-squat adapters in the rear. Nice, minimal and low for a full interior.

Spent the better half of the morning making links. Right now it sits at a wheel base of 11.5" Super compact. I like it.

Time to tear it all down, sleeve the links, and make a esc / battery tray.

Last edited by tedo; 02-23-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Can you mount the panhard bar on the back side of the mounts instead of the front? The only other thing I could see that would be going on is the servo is a tad to low for the setup the way it is.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
Can you mount the panhard bar on the back side of the mounts instead of the front? The only other thing I could see that would be going on is the servo is a tad to low for the setup the way it is.
I tried. There is no room for the rod end because of the 3 link. It only interferes when the driver tire articulates. Hmmm. I have to do some research.

I'm sure the answer is out there.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
I tried. There is no room for the rod end because of the 3 link. It only interferes when the driver tire articulates. Hmmm. I have to do some research.

I'm sure the answer is out there.
Well....The setup was meant to be used with a CMS the the servo ran with the frame rail.Not cross ways. Like front to back not side to side. But that doesn't mean there's not a way to do it.We just need to figure out what that way is....LOL Another way I can see to do it is to run the servo arm to the front and not the back..

Edit: Wait do you think you could put a bow in it? Not up and down but backwards. Bow it from the bottom mount towards the back and then come back forward to the top mount.That way the center of the bar is more towards the rear but still have the same mounting points.

Last edited by T I N Y; 02-23-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
RCC Addict

another badass Tedo rig great work and supper scale
VP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
20K Club

I like your thinking on the dodger. I hope WERock makes a come back and I know a couple guys are talking about trying to make a go of it. However I'm still a little skeptical of it. Fingers crossed though.

You really have me thinking though. Nice work sir.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
nice start
look forward to the rest of the build
Thanks! Me too

Quote:
Well....The setup was meant to be used with a CMS the the servo ran with the frame rail.Not cross ways. Like front to back not side to side. But that doesn't mean there's not a way to do it.We just need to figure out what that way is....LOL Another way I can see to do it is to run the servo arm to the front and not the back..

Edit: Wait do you think you could put a bow in it? Not up and down but backwards. Bow it from the bottom mount towards the back and then come back forward to the top mount.That way the center of the bar is more towards the rear but still have the same mounting points.
You got me thinking and I went back down stairs.. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan w View Post
another badass Tedo rig great work and supper scale
I wish I would have built the chassis, but I will try and do Lue proud! p.s. I love eating supper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I like your thinking on the dodger. I hope WERock makes a come back and I know a couple guys are talking about trying to make a go of it. However I'm still a little skeptical of it. Fingers crossed though.

You really have me thinking though. Nice work sir.
Thanks! I know, I keep hearing grumblings about a comeback because racing is just so expensive. I hope it does.

You spot for a Pro Mod right?

Last edited by tedo; 02-23-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I think I figured out the steering... I think...

Does this look odd? The lengths are only 1/8" apart (I know they should be equal). Also is it weird the drag link is angled forward (towards the front of the rig?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Function over form...Any day of the week...If it works and it works good.Run with it.Well that's my opinnion anyway...lol
Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
RCC Addict

BUT......LOL
I got another idea.Is there enough room under the hood to mount the servo on top of the servo mounts? Like from the top down instead of from the bottom up.That'll lift the horn up.I'm not sure if it'll be enough but it might be.Then you might be able to flip your horn back around towards the back.

EDIT: And if that doesn't work you could take the servo out and using the holes in the servo mount you could bolt in a set of servo mounts/tabs then lay the servo down like it would be if on the axle.

Last edited by T I N Y; 02-23-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Thanks! I know, I keep hearing grumblings about a comeback because racing is just so expensive. I hope it does.

You spot for a Pro Mod right?
Stock mod. The driver of the car is going to spot for a Pro Mod this year so I don't think I'll be spotting this year.

I hear Jesse Haines being the most vocal about it.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Killer build! I've been looking for a real use for my yota axles.

Looks to me like the servo is too far back. If the servo was moved fwd by
(half it's width?) it may clear the bar and put ur links in line.
A little creative grille or panel work and it would still be hidden
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
BUT......LOL
I got another idea.Is there enough room under the hood to mount the servo on top of the servo mounts? Like from the top down instead of from the bottom up.That'll lift the horn up.I'm not sure if it'll be enough but it might be.Then you might be able to flip your horn back around towards the back.

EDIT: And if that doesn't work you could take the servo out and using the holes in the servo mount you could bolt in a set of servo mounts/tabs then lay the servo down like it would be if on the axle.
I tried both those options. the servo cannot sit on top of the mounts, because it hits the front cross member. And the servo tabs (surprisingly) puts the angle even more out of parallel (in both directions). I think when Lue built this chassis, it was with scx axles, so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I think this may work from pics I have been seeing with these axles. If not, I may start bending like your other suggestion.

Quote:
Stock mod. The driver of the car is going to spot for a Pro Mod this year so I don't think I'll be spotting this year.

I hear Jesse Haines being the most vocal about it.
The new season of WE Rock is starting next month, so we will see if it starts getting a little more participation. It has always still had its core followers. I have always enjoyed it. I pretty much enjoy all sub genres of off road. Whats cool about stock mod and pro mod is they are awesome trail trucks too (more Everyman rigs).
Old 03-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
RCC Addict

So I made a little progress aesthetically to this little guy this weekend.

— Sleeved all the links with 1/4" coated brake line.
— redid my steering links, and I think it is spot on now.
— Made a battery / esc tray. First I roughed it in with card stock, then cut it out of 22ga aluminum, and tied the tray into the dashboard (nice and solid). I cut part of Lue's frame for easier battery access. I can fit a 2200 3s and my holmes esc under the hood!

filled a couple holes with sandable putty and painted the skins. I went with a granite gray color, because future plans are to get some orange or red methods... I think one of those color combos will really look stealth.

I reused my floor plan from when I had the r2 tranny in my 2.2 rig. Fits perfect, and leaves me a nice even surface for a couple seats and my driver.

I'm going to do a few little things here and there to finish this uncool cone doger / trail rig off.

Over-all, not a super detailed or intense build. Basically I just bolted parts together. Not a lot of new tech. The axles were a new learning experience for me, so we will see how this little rig does once all this damn snow melts.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #17
20K Club

I'm going to start a dodger soon, it's been an inspiring idea again.

Good work man, love the look.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Its a great little rig . Nice looking chassis and those yota axles look perfect under it . Yes the ultra4 scene has blowen up but that doesnt mean you need to follow suit . I built a 2.2 trent fabrication ultra 4 rig only because the group of guys I play trucks with have jacked out wraiths and my cone dodger cant keep up to them .
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm going to start a dodger soon, it's been an inspiring idea again.

Good work man, love the look.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodamis View Post
Its a great little rig . Nice looking chassis and those yota axles look perfect under it . Yes the ultra4 scene has blowen up but that doesnt mean you need to follow suit . I built a 2.2 trent fabrication ultra 4 rig only because the group of guys I play trucks with have jacked out wraiths and my cone dodger cant keep up to them .
I have a wraith based ultra4 rig too. It's fully bulletproof running a roc 3100... It's real fun, but like I said, I have always had a soft spot for cone dodgers. 1.9s are so different to drive then the bigger 2.2s. And thanks for the comment!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #20
RCC Addict

So, I did some interior work and got my driver in.

made some cheap seats loosely based on Norm's old templates. Had to have two based on Pro Mod's rules. Driver's seat has to be modified to accommodate my floor plan

Bought a "fem" driver from Toys R Us's sale bin:

His head wasn't doing it for me:

Needed a helmet to (again) accommodate W.E. Rock rules, so did up a Tamiya head I had laying around... Perfect fit:

Oh yeah, ready for some action:

Cone Dodger - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cone Zone.... T Bone 347 Scale Accessories 6 05-07-2012 11:00 PM
Cone washers? BentMetaL General Crawlers 3 09-23-2011 10:11 PM
Red Cone!! 666 Colorado 13 08-17-2010 08:28 AM