RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   1.9 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/)
-   -   Full Metal Jacket JK (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/502809-full-metal-jacket-jk.html)

Hwheeler73 07-24-2014 08:45 AM

16 Attachment(s)
Ok, so at the advice of a friend, I am not posting any pics of the 1.1 JK that I am copying until I get some real progress made on this one. And I am not calling this a build. Yes, there will be a decent amount of body modification done by me, but as for the chassis and drivetrain, it's basically just buying and installing parts so it's not really a "build".

Right now, most of the progress has been on the chassis and drivetrain. I started out with what I got from him. I can't remember what brand the chassis rails are though. I'm using GCM's front mount SCX motor/tranny plate, which took some modifying to make it work with this chassis, CMS mount, and their transfer case. Stang Killa SS, SCX Smooth Skid. King Off-road Scale shocks. A SuperShafty bombproof tranny. MIP shafts. Right now I have an RC4WD 45T motor and their Outcry ESC installed. Shift Hubs. JC Auto Design Scale Tech Disk Brake Spacers. Right now I'm using 1.9, Hot Racing wheels wrapped in RC4WD Dick Cepek, Mud Countries. They are the overall size I'm looking for but not the look. I'm thinking I'll stay with the same wheels but go to the 2.2's to get the look I want.

Things that will be added are:
VP Curries with Scottanthony's Wraith steering mod and of course VP CVD's and CreeperBob's titanium shafts in the rear, Avid bearings throughout and FI spools. I believe I'll be making some special lower links for this one as well to try to keep it as scale as possible to the 1.1.

The first pics are from the guy I bought the rig from to begin with. I hate to change all of the work that he did but I'm going a completely different direction with what I'm doing. For the record, he did a very good job! I've started a little on the body. I've cut the original fenders off in preparation for the modded fenders that I need to build from scratch.

I need to give a shout out here for the awesome scale light bars from Matgyver! They are much more scale that the VP Rigid's.

So that's about all I've got for right now. There will defiantly be more to come. Like I said, once I get further along with the body mods, I will post up the pics of the 1.1.

Sent from the great unknown!

z71baja 07-24-2014 11:06 AM

Re: Full Metal Jacket JK

nice build!!! who makes that light bar?

Hwheeler73 07-24-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z71baja (Post 4844490)
nice build!!! who makes that light bar?

You'd have to PM matgyver about it.

fr8cture 07-24-2014 11:12 AM

I've been wanting one of those light bars for awhile now. Thinking of selling my vp's to get them. Looking forward to this build.

Bulldog 07-24-2014 11:38 PM

That's how a build thread should start! A nice plan and some progress pics first. Once you get going and it gets beyond a "shopping list build"...you're good to go.

I don't know what you have planned for body work, but anything different than a typical JK will be way cool. "modded fenders" sounds pretty good.8)

Edit...those light bars are Killer scale! Thanks for enlightening us! No pun intended!

fr8cture 07-25-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldog (Post 4845134)
That's how a build thread should start! A nice plan and some progress pics first. Once you get going and it gets beyond a "shopping list build"...you're good to go.

I don't know what you have planned for body work, but anything different than a typical JK will be way cool. "modded fenders" sounds pretty good.8)

Edit...those light bars are Killer scale! Thanks for enlightening us! No pun intended!

Just search the thread title on google guessing thats what he is aiming for."thumbsup"

Hwheeler73 07-25-2014 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr8cture (Post 4845154)
Just search the thread title on google guessing thats what he is aiming for."thumbsup"

SSSHHHHH!

fr8cture 07-25-2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hwheeler73 (Post 4845162)
SSSHHHHH!

Hey you gave it away with the title. :ror:

Bulldog 07-26-2014 10:57 PM

Good looking windshield wipers!:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Hwheeler73 07-27-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldog (Post 4846967)
Good looking windshield wipers!:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Hey! I didn't have anything to do with that! Lol!

Sent from the great unknown.

Hwheeler73 07-27-2014 09:06 AM

Full Metal Jacket JK

Ok, I'm looking for opinions! I need a lowpro look for the tires on this build. So I have a set of 5 Motoworx 8 spoke, remachined, 2.2's that I think will look really good on here. I used the same tire and mounted one up. I'll order black rings for them. I just took a Sharpie to the ring that I had to get a visual. I've posted 3 pics. The first is what I started with, the second is the 2.2. And the last is of the real ones on the 1.1. What does everyone think?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/27/a5enuzap.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/27/nu9avuse.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/27/qapunuva.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/27/ujybavum.jpg

fr8cture 07-27-2014 10:09 AM

Looks good. same thing I did with my jk8.

Bulldog 07-27-2014 11:10 PM

The only thing closer I can think of costs more money...but has some killer details. MO money!

I have a set if you get nutty.
KMC XD-795 Black Respun 2.2 Wheels - Vanquish Products

fr8cture 07-27-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldog (Post 4847846)
The only thing closer I can think of costs more money...but has some killer details. MO money!

I have a set if you get nutty.
KMC XD-795 Black Respun 2.2 Wheels - Vanquish Products

Got those for my Jk8. "thumbsup"

Hwheeler73 08-03-2014 05:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok. I had a day off so I started working on the front fenders. I've pretty much got the passenger side done! These are some pics of how I did it.

Hwheeler73 08-03-2014 07:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more pics.

Hwheeler73 08-04-2014 01:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Holy bucket of screws Batman! Talk about tedious! 28 screws on the outside! But I got one fender done! Sent from the great unknown!

Hwheeler73 08-06-2014 10:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So I've actually made quite a bit of progress over the last couple of days! That's bad for business but good for the JK! I got the cowl, grille and rock guard on the passenger side done and ready for paint! And I've completely lost count now of how many screws I've used! I do know that I need to order more thou! And I've got the drivers side front fender almost ready for paint.

fr8cture 08-06-2014 10:13 PM

You are out of control. :ror:

Hwheeler73 08-06-2014 10:14 PM

6 Attachment(s)
And I think I've got enough progress done to unveil the inspiration for this JK. Starwood Motors "Full Metal Jacket". The reason for the hold on these pictures is because I'm not the only one that has seen build threads started for this JK only to go nowhere. I'm not sure why other than the details are, well, very detailed! No one, as of yet, makes the Smitybuilt fender deletes in scale form and they haven't been all that easy to make. This is the second time I've made this type of grille, so it wasn't very hard. I still need to build the rear fenders, front bumper, tire rack for the spare, and the vents for the sides of the hood. <I'm still not sure how I'm going to make them but I'll figure it out! So here you go!