Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Just for funsies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Just for funsies

Ive had this for a little while now, but figured it was time for a thread.

I picked this up off toyoslow a while back. All its had since I got it was a holmes 16t crawlmaster, 4linked front and rear with my upper link mounts, BEC, some bumper trimming, spare relocation, and some fresh wiring. The front upper links I made from 1/8 hard anodized 6061 aluminum rod. They got mounted to the bottom of the servo plate like a sportsman. I also trimmed the body so I could high line the fenders and lower the body

The point of this rig for me is to perform well, have some scale aspects, and be fun.

I've got an event coming up in 2 weeks with the WARCRC group. Its a scale comp/campout, but I just love the location. So I m going to camp, photograph, and play some. But Ive accumulated some parts slowly and figured it was an appropriate time to get to work.

Ive gathered:
-used 1.9 pitbulls
-nova foams
-1.9 axial beadlocks
-holmes servo
-axial under drive rears
-super 300's for the front
-vp high steer knuckles
-axial clockable chubs
-super 300 locker
-axial hardened front gears
-losi mini t springs

Tonight I got some work done. Pulled everything apart in preparation. Made the rear upper links and front lowers. Lowers are from 3/16 hard anodized 6061, uppers are made of the same but in1/8". They will get Traxxas link ends.

Links:

Figured the beadlocks needed some spiffing up, so I countersunk the outter rings and ran in some flat head stainless hardware. Foams and meats mounted and ready to rock

Stay tuned. More to come!!
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Just for funsies

Very cool Chris. We all know that you are a very capable builder, but this shows you can have a very capable rig with some well thought out components
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Made a little progress tonight in the short period of time I had to work on it.

The shocks got gone through. New springs, o-rings, and spring retainers.

First things first. I was too lazy to make some of my upper spring retainers, so I chucked up the shock body in the lathe and turned the retainer down to fit the mini-t spring

Next, I replaced the lower o-ring with a Traxxas x-ring from the big bore rebuild kit. Ive done it in the past and it works great. Assemble with associated green slime and we have a scx10 shock that doesn't leak through the orings.

I took some aluminum mini-t lower spring cups that I got, and drilled out a 3mm hole in the center for the shaft. Also, I shaved off the jenky resivours.

All done with fresh oil!

Lastly, I made some shock tower cross braces from the same material I made the lower links out of. Man is it nice to have a lathe to make all the trick stuff!!

The rear shock towers got moved to the forward most holes to relax the shock angle. Hope it doesn't effect the ride height much

Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Liking where this is headed already! Can I ask though, what sizes you're threading the 1/8" and 3/16" links to? Looks like M3 on the 1/8", and M4 for the 3/16"? I have dies in both sizes, but never thought to just cut links from solid stock. Also, did you have to turn the diameters down before cutting thread?
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I use 6-32 on the 1/8, and 10-24 on the 3/16. No turning required, but you have to drill out the revo ends with a #25 bit for them to thread in. And its still tight as hell
Old 08-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Sub'ed!
Learn me something!!!
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
I use 6-32 on the 1/8, and 10-24 on the 3/16. No turning required, but you have to drill out the revo ends with a #25 bit for them to thread in. And its still tight as hell
Hey, that's how I do mine too Chris! Should see you in Wetsnatchee in a couple of weeks eh
sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:59 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

For keechelus campout with WARCRC and their scale comp?

Had an hour before I went to a friend's art show. But I was able to get the front axle put together with fresh hardware and made some 1/8" steering links out of some 7075 aluminum I had laying around. I also turned the nipples at the end of the goofy green wheel hexs so the end of the hex was flush. Those nipples are so pointless lol

Most of the fab work is done at this point. Mostly assembly.

Contemplating putting on the axial samurai body I have too. Think it could look cool! More to come

Old 08-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Nice clean touches CTBM. I'm curious what your method is for cutting those 6-32 threads on the 1/8 rod. How are you holding the rod from spinning? what cutting agent you use, and what is the level of difficulty when you are cutting them, I mean are you having to muscle the crap out of them?

I've tried doing the same only with 1/8 steel rod, using chain bar oil, holding the rod in my lathe, and it took me forever to cut one set of threads, and at times I could not keep the rod from spinning and the die seemed to lock up a few times. Any tips are appreciated.

by the way, nipples are never pointless... maybe just misplaced.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Lol, good point on the nipples

I held it in my lathe. Steel and TI are much harder to do. I use some A9 cutting oil. Works like a charm. I hold the die with a pair of vice grips then just hand spin the chuck on the lathe. I think the leverage from the vice grips helps some. Plus, as you know, aluminum is much softer and easier to cut then steel. I think regular cutting oil for steel would be enough. Maybe some moly-dee. Strange that you cant chuck it tight enough for it to not spin. Maybe a mill vise with the little right angle grooves might be a better choice if you have access to one?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have a HF lathe so not the best but on steel and ti I use a wrench to extra leverage tighten the chuck and goto town.
It will still spin lose now and again but the price of materials and time vs buying a set is enough for me.
Plus I enjoy doing the work and building.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Mines just the 9x20 HF lathe. Not awesome but works alright. Id like a nicer one someday
Old 08-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Pretty sure that's the same lathe I have...
I've used nicer but that would make me spend more time on it doing crazy stuff.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Last few days have been a mad dash to get stuff wrapped up in time. I finished her up last night. Best as she will be for a while anyhow

One detail I didnt want to overlook was the slop in the lower links at the chassis. A drill on the outside hole cures that. It allows the screw to pull the plastic in and pinch the link

Got the front axle in and noticed that I had to trim the bumper a lot with it being lower and having more steering.

Now she is a roller!

I did my rear uppers a little different. I like the uppers to be a hair more parallel then normal. So I modified the upper link mount and had to use some all thread with 2 nylocks on the ends to secure it all

Another small detail that goes a long ways. Sanding the rod ends at the chassis to an angle. Keeps the link ends from having a sharp edge and getting hung up on rocks

Gotta love camera phone pix in bad light

My signature driveline setscrew. The front ring and pinion doesnt have the holes. So a trimmed down button head and some CA should work

Another detail I didnt want to look past. Since the super 300's run a 5mm thread, I drilled out the decorative nut cap so it would still fit. Overlooked which ones were hubs and not though

Since I moved the rear shock towers forward, the body mount needed to be moved aswell. This was the quick and easy way I was able to make it happen. Piece of delrin with holes in it, and some M2x10mm cap head stainless screws

Since there will be night running, bright ass lights are a must!

All done! My only gripe is that the holmes servo doesnt seem to have much throw. Might be a programming problem on my end with my Nomadio, but I sort of doubt it

Man isnt she slammed? The tires rub nearly everywhere on the body lol. But I dont really care. I can trim later.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #15
TSK
Shelf queen

You mother fudger!

I was thinking of trying to make it out to that comp via CBoggs... But can't make that date.

Looks good Bromo! Have fun!
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Are you on the mainland?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Lol, good point on the nipples

I held it in my lathe. Steel and TI are much harder to do. I use some A9 cutting oil. Works like a charm. I hold the die with a pair of vice grips then just hand spin the chuck on the lathe. I think the leverage from the vice grips helps some. Plus, as you know, aluminum is much softer and easier to cut then steel. I think regular cutting oil for steel would be enough. Maybe some moly-dee. Strange that you cant chuck it tight enough for it to not spin. Maybe a mill vise with the little right angle grooves might be a better choice if you have access to one?
Thanks for the info, I was just curios if we use similar methods. I also spin the chuck and sort of counter spin the wrench I use to hold the die.
I'll have to mess with making a clamping sleeve that catches the jaws a little earlier so I can crank the heck out of it. I'll also try different cutting oil to see if it cuts easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
I have a HF lathe so not the best but on steel and ti I use a wrench to extra leverage tighten the chuck and goto town.
It will still spin lose now and again but the price of materials and time vs buying a set is enough for me.
Plus I enjoy doing the work and building.
This is basically exactly what I'm experiencing. I totally agree, I just enjoy the building process too much to just buy, great way to zone out to some tunes and a beer.

Quote:
Mines just the 9x20 HF lathe. Not awesome but works alright. Id like a nicer one someday
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
Pretty sure that's the same lathe I have...
I've used nicer but that would make me spend more time on it doing crazy stuff.
Someday something nicer here as well. I have the 7x10 HF. which is great for starting out. I'd like to get one just a little bigger and of course some nicer tooling. It's just too fun learning. I'd like to get a mill as well.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #18
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Are you on the mainland?
Negative. Just was thinking of a little vacation.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Negative. Just was thinking of a little vacation.
May be a good time to get off the island with those hurricanes coming.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #20
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
May be a good time to get off the island with those hurricanes coming.
Too late for that. Lol. One is about to hit Oahu but a little off to the south in a coue hours, the other is expected to pass to the north on Sunday. Kinda on the low end of a category one so should be ok as long as I don't fly a kite.